New Optimization Thread

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by dankidgamer, May 16, 2015.

1. dankidgamer

dankidgamer New Member

So. I can run Crysis 3 at 30FPS on Medium settings and my computer isn't even warm.

But when I play this game on low I get 20FPS and My computer melts to the point that the game crashes

Ideas to keep this from happening aswell as allowing players with less Beefy Rigs to enjoy this game.
    • Render only the planet you're currently on.
    This is a good idea, the only drawback is that since there are such massive battles on other planets, you'll have to wait a couple of seconds before everything loads.
    • Lower Graphics settings.
    I noticed only small differences when I changed to low settings for the betterment of Kyle.
    Basically making Low > Medium, Medium > High, High > Ultra, Ultra > UBER. Then make a low the lowest, playable.
    • Distance range options.
    Its obvious.
  2. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

What are your system specifications if you don't mind me asking? I run pa on quite an old laptop absolutely fine (circa 40 fps on low, it does slow as unit count goes up though).
    specs of that machine are: core i5 460m (2.4 ghz dual core when ht), GeForce gt 420m (96 Fermi cuda cores with a 128 bit ddr3 mem interface), 8gb ram on windows 7 64bit.
  3. dom314

dom314 Post Master General

I don't think graphics could be the only thing that is slowing your computer down. FPS games may be hard on your graphics card, but in no way do they match up to the computational requirements that RTS games place on your CPU.
    xanoxis, killerkiwijuice and Nicb1 like this.
  4. elodea

elodea Post Master General

PA only renders what you can see, and for the most part that means only the planet you are on, and only the side of the planet you can see. What was the situation where you had the bad fps? Did you take a screenshot perhaps? =]. Was it because you had the PiP open showing another planet or something?

It's also probably because of this optimisation that you're also experiencing the 'loading' lag switching to epic battles on other planets :p. It's a pain for sure, and one of the reasons I cbb fighting interplanetary battles at that point anymore. What you need to solve this one is actually less optimisation.
    radongog likes this.
  5. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

Game´s FPS are generally CPU-bound and that problem is evolving as the gameplay proceeds!
    You can easily find this out youself with outmaxing SSAA---your GPU will get lots of extra work, but this won´t cause a drop in FPS in lategame as your GPU isn´t the limiting factor anymore.

So yup, the answer on optimization would probably be "go for more Multithread" and the best way to get to that point would be a switch to Vulkan (previously known as OpenGL next or OGL V) as soon as that one is released!
  6. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

I'm 99% sure that he tried playing on a system with a very high surface area with not enough RAM.
  7. dankidgamer

dankidgamer New Member

I have 8 GB of ram. my computer has a AMD A10 6800K Processor, GT 740 SC 4GB GPU, ASUS A88X Pro Motherboard, and a EVGA 750 80+ PSU, Sentey Stealth Pro Case. Windows 10 OS.
  8. knickles

knickles Well-Known Member

That case isn't going to cut it. sorry :/
  9. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

You being able to play Crysis 3 has nothing to do with you being able to play PA.

The recommended and minimum specifications for PA compared to your computer's own is the only comparison you need here. Crysis 3 was developed for consoles as well as the PC, and as such doesn't even have such tremendous requirements as Crysis did at the time by comparison (being more of a tech demo, and much less optimised as well).

Your CPU is acceptable, but suffers from only having a limited L2 cache (6MB is generally better). Your GPU is way unacceptable, the x40 series of GeForce cards are not gaming-ready cards (nor are they really advertised as such). Certainly not for high-end games like PA.

Your RAM is also a limiting factor. I'd know because I also have 8GB of RAM, and my machine really struggles with the System Editor and such.
  10. dankidgamer

dankidgamer New Member

So.. My machine is a peice of **** but only the Easy pieces are ****.
  11. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

Well I wouldn't go that far. I recommend upgrading the video card. PA plays well for me with my 660 Ti. Your PSU is very capable, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Your CPU isn't perfect, but has a great clock speed, no point replacing that yet.
  12. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

Actually no point in replacing that thing for a long time. It's just that it sucks for "classic" OpenGL / DX11 games, as these are not making any use of that many cores, but since the GPU is so much slower, it's actually the biggest bottleneck in the system. With upcoming Vulkan/DX12, the CPU is no longer a bottleneck at all, not even for much faster GPUs.
    Gorbles likes this.