28 vote(s)
    23.5%
  4. i don't care

18 vote(s)
    15.1%
  1. popededi

popededi Well-Known Member

Here's an idea:

Make this discussion more about shield concepts, and how they could be used, rather than a pro-contra discussion.

Many of you have differing ideas on them, so you could actually provide Uber a good development resource if and when they decide to pursue this.
    BulletMagnet and bradaz85 like this.
  2. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Vanguard Magnet shield:

Gives the vanguard a magnetic shield that attracts bullets and rockets to it's self rather then in the area around it's self.

Pro's: helps tank for formations

Con's: Is still a single unit, and is now really really easy to hit
  3. fouquet

fouquet Active Member

as a FAF spectator i disagree. i have seen a few games won because of shields buying a fleeing commander a few precious seconds to get underwater. mobile shields are strong offensive tools allowing your more glass cannon units to enter the battle and deal out more dps.

I understand Uber's stance on the issue and personally my priority for development is the engine and getting asteroids and map flavor/variety/optimization + fully fleshed out orbital mechanics.

the shield discussion (for me) is more of a problem solving theoretical discussion on how to solve the problem of invincible overlapped shields that was present in supcom. this problem will have to be addressed at some point in the future when the next game using this technology is being developed. we are a gathering of obscure real time strategy aficionados with centuries of experience between all of us. if anyone can solve these problems it is us.

I embrace criticism with an open mind but keep the right to defend my ideas.
  4. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

So I still can't find the major shield thread from a year ago. Though I did find a few posts by Mavor that could help steer the discussion on shields.
    ---
    lokiCML, bradaz85 and nehekaras like this.
  5. banaman

banaman Member

random thought: what if shields were countered/replaced with a large unit that gave all other units around it a damage buff? (i say large unit as in just large enough to distinguish itself from anything else)
    edit: before anyone wonders, the most common way of doing this, and still being wysiwyg, is that buffed units have a very unique aura or glow to them, letting you know instantly what's up with them.
  6. Selis

Selis New Member

Since the game has been released a while now, is there any news on this? I have seen some twitter feeds that the devs do not hate shields, but had to focus their efforts. Consequently they were guaranteed to not be in the base game.

It's been a while now though, and the depth of shields and radar jammers are sorely missed, does anyone know of any list of features/changes currently being worked on (I could only find a rather old list).
    tatsujb likes this.
  7. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

They gave an upgraded to walls which now look like shields. The traditional bubble shield will never be a thing I think.
  8. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

honestly I think shields would have been a pretty awesome strategical feature.
    tatsujb, xankar and Nicb1 like this.
  9. meir22344

meir22344 Active Member

why not have a shield system implemented where there is a main shield generator you build on a mass deposit in your base that covers a limited area in order to extend that shielded area you build shield relays and when the shield gets attacked by artillery or units the shield gradually shrinks back to the main shield generator and the speed at which the shield shrinks is determined by how much energy you have but there are hard limits to how strong a shield can get based on your energy economy to prevent indestructible shielded bases.
  10. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

year-necro?
    [​IMG]
  11. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Ahhh...........a shield thread....

There was a modder working on this as I recall.
  12. Selis

Selis New Member

Interesting, I haven't had a chance to try them out yet in that galactic war mode, I'll give them a try.

I do hope the bubble shield will make a (disable-able) return, but guess it's more waiting. Haven't seen any pop up in mods yet (@igncom1).

This was the most-recent thread I could find to reply to. And I do care greatly about this :)

Wasn't this how the supcom 1 shields functioned? I remember shrinking shields from somewhere.

So no currently worked on features list?
    tatsujb likes this.
  13. g0hstreaper

g0hstreaper Well-Known Member

>Tutorial...as if there is one to even drop ti begin with :l

+ If you've been on the forums for more than a month you would know this has been the on-going "What should we argue about again" topic, just go through the previous threads before this pls.
  14. tatsujb

it being recurrent doesn't make it any less valid......

....as a matter of fact if you think about it....
  15. g0hstreaper

g0hstreaper Well-Known Member

True but there have already been many parts of this thready already brought up again...and again
  16. tatsujb

oh what a professor must endure.... when teaching to his students the same thing year after year.

there are newcomers to the forum. that is the way of life.

besides. there are new and interesting points every single time this is brought up.
  17. coldboot

coldboot Active Member

g0hstreaper and stuart98 like this.
  18. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

let me give you one good reason why we sould have no shields ....
    it counters sniping ... which is the most dull thing you could bring to the game ...
    as in hey before i can do ANYHING AT ALL to an armycomposition or a base .. i need to take that shield down .. no it has not AA already or stealth or tacmissile defense ... no i MUST crack that giant shieldbubble first and foremost before i can disintagrade that armycomposition piece by piece ...
  19. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

I can neither agree nor disagree with that.

Yes, if you had an universal shield, it would stop every damage and would force your enemy to drain his DPS into the shield, making light attacks on fortified positions completely futile.

But then again:
    How is that any different from walls? Walls do the precise same thing, they force you to pump your damage into a target the defender has chosen, and you have no other chance than to obey.

By the way:
    Shields could actually work if you don't think of them as damage absorbing bubbles which pop when full - but instead as kinetic barriers which only build up and partially prevent damage as they are being shot upon. Basically allowing snipes, but preventing steam rolling attempts.

Especially commanders could really need that latter mechanic for their personal shields. It's similar to the "invulnerability" effect you have in many jump&runs immediately after loosing another live.
  20. andrehsu

andrehsu Active Member

Walls don't have ceilings. Also boom bots are able to get past wall gaps