Update to Twitch Streaming

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by mkrater, May 5, 2015.

1. mkrater

mkrater Uber Alumni

Hey all,

We originally worked closely with Twitch to integrate support for streaming directly from inside the game with no external software. Six months ago, Twitch announced that they are no longer supporting direct integration (http://discuss.dev.twitch.tv/t/twitch-pc-sdk-no-longer-supported/1267) and now recommend that customers use third party software like Open Broadcaster Software (https://obsproject.com/) to stream content to Twitch. This means that there will be no more updates to the Twitch SDK.

With that in mind, we are going to follow their recommendation and end our use of their SDK. The main menu will look the same so people can still find your streams, and for most users' point of view there will be no change. However, if you are a streamer, please check out the Twitch post and figure out which third party software solution works best for you. OBS has turned in to a great solution if you're looking for streaming software.

We apologize for any inconvenience, but with the removal of support on the Twitch side, this is the best way for us to provide a good user experience.
  2. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

OBS is pretty OP
    squishypon3, Remy561, Nicb1 and 2 others like this.
  3. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

No dramas. Thanks for the heads up. :D
  4. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

good of you to drop a word. it is indeed much appreciated.
    squishypon3, stuart98 and mkrater like this.
  5. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

People still strum PA? Kappa
  6. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

Yes they do. Over at team burning we still stream quite often.
  7. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

All the time. Every day. Where the hell have you been?
    davostheblack likes this.
  8. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Hitbox support direct integration I believe, and due to their size are probably more open to providing support and all that jazz. Might be an avenue worth exploring at some point.
    cdrkf, squishypon3 and wpmarshall like this.
  9. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

Already using OBS, it's pretty neat. Highly recommended!
  10. wondible

wondible Post Master General

Does this only affect audio/video, or is the in-game chat included as well? That is the only part I used.
    squishypon3 and stuart98 like this.
  11. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

Thats a shame - now i need to figure out a way to show me twitch chat whilee in a game and not minimised or multiscreened.
    stuart98 likes this.
  12. liamdawe

liamdawe Active Member

Well the in-built streaming never worked on Linux anyway as you didn't implement it for us, so I have been using OBS Studio anyway, it's really good stuff.
  13. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

That was due to the Twitch SDK being Mac/Windows only though.

But it looks like Twitch chat can also be accessed through IRC or embedding. The latter would be easier, but look out of place, I think. The IRC one is harder to do. At least, I can't easily find a pure JavaScript solution for it. The ones I found seem to need a server that translates IRC to something the JavaScript client can handle.

It would probably be easier for Uber to implement it directly into PA itself using C(++) libraries. It's not like they don't have a list with a gazillion things on them. :)
  14. jomiz

jomiz Active Member

AFAIK twitch chat is really IRC, it would probably be easy to make IRC client as mod which connects to twitch IRC server..

e. I was assuming that "raw" sockets can be used in modding but I guess I was wrong, can someone confirm?
  15. DeathByDenim

Yeah, I thought that too, but that doesn't seem to be the case from what I've found so far... WebSockets don't seem to work.
  16. jomiz

jomiz Active Member

I got idea, weechat (the best irc client ever:D) supports "relay", it mean it works kind like proxy but it uses uses its own RFC and stuff, you could just use weechat with relay as server and connect to it with WebSocket.

I can't really explain it better but I leave this links.
    http://www.weechat.org/files/doc/stable/weechat_user.en.html#relay_plugin
    https://weechat.org/files/doc/devel/weechat_relay_protocol.en.html
  17. DeathByDenim

You may want to wait to see what Uber's plan is for Twitch chat integration. :)
  18. g0hstreaper

g0hstreaper Well-Known Member

HEARD YOU TALKING SMACK BOI :p
    davostheblack and xankar like this.
  19. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

Uhm, now that Twitch is gone, and given the number of crashes induced by third party software due to conflicts with the linked Twitch library:

Does this mean that most of these incompatibilities are now resolved as well?