Steam Workshop now lets people put prices on mods.

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by tehtrekd, April 23, 2015.

1. nlaush

nlaush Active Member

Your ignoring evidence otherwise, so...
    Try playing age of kings or any game that uses direct draw on windows 7 or 8 and tell me you can play without needing a fix.

No apparently your not. Your just outright ignoring reality.

Then why did you get them for PC? Especially Skyrim, since the UI was designed around the X360/PS3.

Again try to play AOE II on a modern OS without DDRAW and see what happens.

Secondly, how in the hell can you sit here and say my accusations are baseless if you have never used any community made mods? Since you obviously didn't even know they existed before I pointed it out to you. Did you even check. (Well iI know the answer to that already, obviously no).

And then stop supporting them as Bethesda has done, yet still continue to sell the product.
  2. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

it happens, yeah.
  3. tatsujb

you mean this? http://store.steampowered.com/app/221380/
    wow I was totally running out of things to disagree on :rolleyes: /s
  4. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Are you serious? Age of Kings was released in 1999. Are you really expecting the developers to patch the game 10 years later for a new OS?

Sorry to burst your bubble, but that is very unusual and only companies like blizzard that are swimming in money sometimes do it.

Also there is AOE2 HD, people are willing to pay for that.
  5. KNight

KNight Post Master General

The point is that coding is coding regardless of the specific outcome. Yes if you really want to break it down there are specific subsets of coding that are arguably more valuable than others. Yes, making an engine is harder than writing some scripts for a new weapon in said engine but that doesn't mean you only pay the guy(s) writing the engine and not anyone else! You just pay the engine guy(s) more than the weapon script guy(s).

I think you're just missing the forest for the trees. You're setting what are, speaking as a modder and artist, very arbitrary definitions on what is "legit".

Answer me this, how do you feel about me, as a 3D Artist, charging someone who wants me to take an existing, original, 3D model and optimize it for a specific 3D Printing service/printer as well as Create a custom stand for it?

I agree with the bolded statement and in a perfect world that's as far as it'd go but lets face facts, we don't live in a perfect world and there are any number of reasons where an original creator can't or simply won't fix something. If a problem can't/won't be fixed by the original creator it's not fair to expect someone else to HAVE do that work for free if they don't want to.

This isn't a problem with Paid mods itself thought, it's just an extension of existing problems. Our goal should be to fix the root problem, not tell modders they don't deserve to charge for the very real skills they have because the system they use to do so is potentially crooked or broken.

Mike
  6. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

It sounds like most the modding community doesn't want this. Have you been on the internet lately, y'know, besides here? Baseless assertions, yadda yadda, I already posted a link of what is actually happening, so it isn't so much "baseless" now as it is "this **** got real"...
  7. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

@KNight - sorry, I didn't get the context. Please ignore me :D

@tHeTrOpHySyStEm - "most of the modding community" is not a load of people whining on Steam. The people whining are the people that will have to pay for mods. i.e. the users.

You've posted a link of something that happened. It doesn't make any of your arguments correct.

Citing one bad mod, or ten bad mods on Steam? Who gives a flip? There are hundreds of bad mods on Steam, just like there are hundreds of bad games on Steam (subjective opinion). The existence of bad, illegal or otherwise dubious mods will always be a thing.

Them being chargeable won't change anything. It'll just make it more obvious which ones the bad ones are.

@general thread note:

I run vanilla Age of Kings, and have done on Vista, Win7 and Win8 / 8.1. These people bitching about getting games to run have no idea what they're talking about. I got Lego Racers working recently, to my surprise (Win 8.1, again). Most of my on-disc games run fine, in fact I have more issues with some of my digital products (Hitman is a prime offender here).
  8. tatsujb

by the way the internet's on fire :
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

10. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

11. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

No, the difference is, once money gets involved it's ILLEGAL.

Also, the fact I posted links of failures, and you haven't posted links of successfules, says something. Do you choose to deflect with proof of your own, or discard it with fancy words s'more?

And no, the opinion of what appears to be half the mod community is that it is bad. Modder groups have tried to publish mods on the store, to find out they didn't have permission from one of their team who is adamantly against it, and that 1 person contacted Valve to have it removed promptly.
  12. cola_colin

13. tatsujb

14. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Yeah, sounds like:
    I do think with the 45% cut for Bethesda was being far too large though, and Valve's cut is rather high as well. I like how they justify "not some money grabbing scheme" with the fact that the sales were less than stellar. It may be true that it wasn't, but that's a rather bad argument. :)

But too bad, really. Also:
    That's just a sample point of one though, so take it with a grain of salt.

(source)
    tatsujb likes this.
  15. KNight

I'd wager that is/would be similar to the experience of many modders, even popular ones.

Mike
    Last edited: April 28, 2015
    websterx01 likes this.
  16. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Yeah, most likely. But I couldn't find a source for that.
  17. KNight

Well we now know there is, so some extent at least, a mindset where modders shouldn't be allow to charge for their work and even ignoring that there hasn't/isn't much in the way of tools to let modders do just that so it shouldn't be surprising that it's hard to find sources for stuff like that.

I do hope something reasonable does come out at some point, While Steam's Implementation was messing and awkward as one might have expected the concept was on the right track at least.

Mike
  18. cola_colin

I think they should not connect it to the normal mod market. Make it that modders instead can go through some verification process to get their work onto a "separate" platform.
    People should not feel "they are taking away my free mods", but "they are increasing the stuff I can buy from them with indy-like game extensions" Make it look more like indy-games.
    tatsujb and stuart98 like this.
  19. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

I do agree that there should be a professional modding seen. For the people who wish to mod on a full-time basis. The revenue split were not make this possible and it's counter to fostering a professional seen. [Bethesda] Valve and any other studio or publisher have to remove some barriers. First; the perception that moding only "a hobby." Second; a concerted effort by the industry working with the modders to promote this idea and education eventually make it a reality. Third; technological infrastructure has to be a place and supported by studios/publishers. Fourth; legal infrastructure and guidance for modders. Finally; it's going to be a uphill battle to get this except by everybody but it will succeed eventually. Got to keep pressing on.

More thoughts on this:

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/what-if-professional-studios-created-content-for-pa.67054/

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/mod-code-licensing.49634/#post-861894

Some other discussions:

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/monetizing-mods.45957/

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/...dding-1-0-and-beyond.62147/page-2#post-966332
    Last edited: April 29, 2015
    tatsujb likes this.
  20. Geers

Geers Post Master General

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2015-04/28/steam-paid-mods-killed

If that happens. I will be totally 100% ok with it.

But you know what's better news:

X-WING, TIE FIGHTER, X-WING VS TIE FIGHTER, AND X-WING ALLIANCE ARE ALL ON STEAM NOW!!