T1 and T2 tanks should fire laz0rs.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by squishypon3, April 15, 2015.

1. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

I mean it is in file the name after all... :>

[​IMG]

How about Star wars laser t1 and beam laser t2? <3
  2. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I want the tanks be be like tanks

Or, alternatively:

3. Diaboy

Diaboy Active Member

I would actually have it the other way round, just because the additional range means that there is more chance for a beam to clip through the surface of the planet, and you then have the same issue that the GIL-E does.

But what I'd prefer is for the small explosions to be... well, a bit bigger. Still small, but less like a spark and more like a little boom.
  4. squishypon3

tank
    noun
    1. a large receptacle or storage chamber, especially for liquid or gas.
    2. a heavy armored fighting vehicle carrying guns and moving on a continuous articulated metal track.
    verb
    1. fill the tank of a vehicle with fuel.
    2. fail completely, especially at great financial cost.
    I don't see that in the definition of Tank. -w-

Anyway it's not like you couldn't make lasers make a big *** explosion when the hut the ground! Star Wars plz.

Anyway.. This just means that we can have MOAR tanks! T1 laser tank could be PA's equivalent to the flash (haha, flash). And the one with a conventional projectile stumpy!
  5. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Don't play games with me Squshy!

Lasers can be cool, but that just means we need to make the current lasers in game as cool as that!

Also, aren't star wars lasers just plasma guns?
  6. squishypon3

As far as i know they're lasers that make no sense. They work like plasma in Halo (which also makes no sense)

anyway I agree, effects are so underwhelming atm.. =<
  7. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

those TA videos... explosions everywhere, throwing scrapmetal everywhere, leaving wrecakges that slowly turns into rubble as it is hit by stray bullets.
    Make PA give me people the chills I am feeling right now please :D
    Zainny, xankar, cwarner7264 and 2 others like this.
  8. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

i like how the dB is so high the mic on the cam can't even pick it up, it's completely out of range.

probably would have sounded real nice recorded from a slight distance and with good audio equipement.
    igncom1 likes this.
  9. nateious

nateious Active Member

Those were awesome.

I love TA: Escalation

I would love to see more energy weapons, but I also agree with igncom1 sometimes projectile weapons are just cooler.

IMHO naval and large tanks look coolest with projectile weaponry.

I'd also like to see more actual beams (think MechWarrior beam weapons) and less slow star warys bolts.

I'd love to see a global increase in weapon velocity, especially when units are firing energy weapons. Example, the shots fired by the orbital fighters just crawl across the screen.
  10. cola_colin

the problem with lasers is that they go in a straight line usually and then they hit the ground to often.
    Well I guess maybe a larger super unit could have some laser mounted on top for mid range high damage attacks.
  11. nateious

nateious Active Member

What about planes and orbital units, or for weapons that target air or orbital? Or even just visuals to existing units. The sniper bot is instant hit right? Just drawing an extremely short duration beam (or something like a railgun trail) between the unit and target would make it look a bit cooler i think.
  12. squishypon3

You could make lasers follow gravity and curve with the planet? (Oh god that'd probably look so weird xD )

Anyway that's why units need to be smaller... Once again scale fixes everything. :>
    nateious likes this.
  13. andrehsu

andrehsu Active Member

I thought Gil ees already have shot trails
  14. cola_colin

a smaller unit would have even a more limited range actually. You need to be tall if you want to have a high range with a laser, though even then you are limited at some point.
    I like the idea of air fighters using lasers actually. It makes sense: They need very fast tracking and very fast bullets to hit very fast targets (other air units) and they do not have the problem of the planet curvature.

There could also be something like the starcraft voidray.
  15. squishypon3

Smaller unit with proportionally small range = curvature seems less sudden.
  16. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Lasers in FTL, one of my more favorite games of the recent considering how few I even like from the last 5 years, work similarly to these tanks. So I say it counts.

Then again, both work more like "photon projectiles" than lasers. Which is almost more badass than lasers are if you let it sink in that way. "Photon Projectiles". Missiles made of solid dense light. You can literally toss light into something and make it burn/explode it like a baseball of energy...
  17. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

yeah and you should never build those things on small moons cuz they'll always hit the ground :rolleyes:
  18. andrehsu

andrehsu Active Member

The gil ees shot goes through terrain
  19. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

at op:

no.

sry squishy but tanks and lazors ?
    one specialized gatling tank maybe but not the bolant and leveler ...
  20. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

yupp thought about a continueus beam for orbitalunits