What happened?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by lazeruski, April 14, 2015.

1. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Aww.. Man, I thought someone responded to my emote.
  2. lazeruski

lazeruski Active Member

oooh fancy, havnt noticed that there is an option to bind the cursor to the screen. thanks for that.
    also...after rereading my initial post, i never mentioned that it crashes all the time...it was mostly only about that one bug.
    Only later i have mentioned that we all have that issue with the crash when we "tab out while loading".

think i will take a look into pamm later, seems like a lot has changed.
    i hope there will be some nice unit mods too ^-^
  3. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

I do think the number of people playing on a regular basis has gone down, based on the player numbers visible on the ladder. This is a shame, I think, and I hope future updates bring players back, and I hope future development work is enough to make this game all it can be.

I really think working on spectator and caster features (like redesigning the GUI and introducing new keybinds that would allow casters to access important information), would make community made videos much more compelling to watch. I think the competitive aspect of this game is strong, and with a bit of help from Uber, it could be quite big. Not LoL/DOTA big, but bigger than it is now :)
    dmorchard likes this.
  4. lazeruski

lazeruski Active Member

I dont think so.
    Strategy Games are in general not that hyped anymore, its pretty rare that a new one comes out compared to dozens of CoD/BF/LoL clones.
  5. nateious

nateious Active Member

At least on the custom games side of things, there seems to be enough people playing that I don't often run into the same players (not never, but not very often either) The only real time I've had big problems getting people to join games is when I want to play a mod (like Orbital Warfare Overhaul) outside of that sometimes the game fills up in seconds, other times it takes a few minutes.
  6. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

It depends on the time of day I would say. Some times are pretty slow others rather active.
  7. nateious

nateious Active Member

That's true, the vast majority of my PA games occur between 8PM and 11PM EST, outside of that block, I don't really know what wait times are like.
  8. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

If they add 1 or 2 experimental units and maybe a few more orbital units I can almost garuntee a huge spike in the playerbase.
  9. lazeruski

lazeruski Active Member

after seeing the Orbital Warfare Overhaul Mod - i totally agree.
    Thats Orbital Combat how it should be...not like the current ultimate defense Anchor :s
    I just need to get it to run...somehow after installing it, i cant load maps anymore...
    Last edited: April 14, 2015
    Nicb1 likes this.
  10. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Well that's probably just lag when loading planets.

Try to wait for the little spinning planet icon next to your name to stop spinning.
    Nicb1 likes this.
  11. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

The mod also needs to upload to the server first. Thay may take a minute or two, dunno about how big that mod is.
    killerkiwijuice likes this.
  12. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

Ya, all server mods need to upload to server first (why a lot of them have a client side half) which depends a lot on your upload speed.

Orbital overhaul is particularly bad as it contains a whole bunch of icons and stuff in the server mod component (35 MB worth by the looks of it) which if you are running on a 0.5 Mbps upload speed like me is rather painful.

@emraldis @nicb1 @mgmetal13 are you guys aware that there are a whole bunch of icons and stuff in the server mod made redundant by the client half?

EDIT: though the main culprit here is the new models.
    Nicb1 likes this.
  13. doud

doud Well-Known Member

Not because a few people experience issues means the game is unstable.
    Have 2 different PCs :
    Core i5 / 8gig / GTX 560TI
    Core i7 / 32gigs / GTX770
    No issue at all on these 2 configurations, except sometimes with coherent UI.
  14. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

Yeah throughout Development I've been barely able to play my own mod due to my horrible upload taking an age.

0.8 upload max here.
  15. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

I also have a similar configuration (one very similar) and it works well. I've only played on intel processors but on both AMD and Nvidia GPUs I haven't had many issues. Mostly just UI stuff as well. The game may ask for up to date drivers, but so should anybody using a PC for gaming so I'm not sure why its even mentioned as an issue. Also keep in mind that its usually having out-dated drivers or settings that affect stuff PA runs on or references that causes issues-which is a problem between chair and keyboard, not game and computer.
    cdrkf likes this.
  16. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

That sounds pretty unstable.
    And then you look at the support forum...
  17. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Posts about PA having problems in the support forum? Fancy that! ;)
    cdrkf likes this.
  18. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

Well, keep in mind this is across now years of PA. The only bad one ever was having to refresh the UI every five minutes back in mid beta. I don't remember the last UI issue I had. Does the join game bug from a few patches ago count?
  19. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

You do know that would all be gone if everyone would just update their drivers. :p
  20. lazeruski

lazeruski Active Member

Guys, again, i wasnt complaining about performance problems^^
    Even with just 4Gb Ram (my mainboard is a bitch) it works just fine, even in lategame.
    If i then look at good ol Supreme Commander who slowed down with like factor 20 during "lategame", where i needed several hours to send a T3 ship across a 81km map...
    Or SoaSE who froze after the i think 4Gb limit was reached...
    I can play on Uber without any performance problems.
    I was just wondering why the multiplayer was so empty an broken, since we needed several attempts to start a game, and that bug was fixed i think yesterday.

The only "performance problem" i have seen so far is, that this stupid server in Galactic War looses connection sometimes...and thats mostly right when i nuke the enemy commander...grrrrr
    Most of my UI related crashs were through the Floating UI mod that was needed for Anchor Buttons - after uninstalling it, i havnt had any UI related crash anymore.

The upload explains a lot...i have just ~900kb
    No Serverside Unitmods for me then :(