How I miss the 90s. RADICAL, DUDE!

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Quitch, April 10, 2015.

1. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

It's been a long time since I've played a game with lobbies. Playing in a bunch of PA lobbies has really been bringing back that 90's feeling where people join your room and immediately demand changes. Often it's the first person to join, which kinda makes you wonder why they didn't just host their own lobby.

Good times.
  2. elodea

elodea Post Master General

old fart, get with the times.

Also, as the first reply, I demand you change your thread title to something with more shazam
    squishypon3 and stuart98 like this.
  3. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

I second this motion.
  4. mayhemster

mayhemster Well-Known Member

I do not miss trying to play fps games on a 56k modem
  5. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

I think there was just a tad of irony in quitch's statement, but that's just me :p
  6. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

Ah the 90's - when the only games I could play were the beasts of games on the N64 like Rogue Squadron and TWINE :p
  7. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

The 90's for me are summed up by Wing Commander 3 (seriously mind blowing at the time), Mech Warrior, TA and a few others. So many new things, computers *doubling in performance* every 12 months... interesting times :)

Although the Internet connections at the time were a nightmare...
  8. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

My 90's was filled with being born. Playing Sega dreamcast and playstation. And the occasional empire earth game.
  9. dom314

dom314 Post Master General

My 90s were mostly about me surviving in the depths of Africa. Now I live in Australia, a much safer place.
  10. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

90s was about CNC, TA, AOE, KKND, HOMM, Commandos: Behind enemy lines, Half Life, Future Cop LAPD, Tomb Raider, Worms and some Jazz Jackrabbit. Never multiplayer ofcourse because we payed for internet seconds and my parents didn't allow me to use internet that much. But i remember them good old TA lan games fairly well.
    lapsedpacifist likes this.
  11. Quitch

How I wish that worked on modern OSs. I loved skirmishing Sky Captain, the music and the voice work came together brilliantly. I finished every skirmish level, including the secret one. A MOBA before MOBAs.

Apparently Precinct Assault was a PC exclusive. Sucks to be on a console then since that was the best level!

EDIT: Oh wow, someone made an installer to fix it on 64-bit systems!
    Last edited: April 10, 2015
    lapsedpacifist, mot9001 and cdrkf like this.
  12. cdrkf

Also you should look for it on GOG... all their games are bundled with patches / emulators / other trickery to make them work on modern OS, some real gems in there :)
  13. Quitch

They've never had it. I was voting for it back when they first set up shop and were asking what games people wanted.

I still have my CD though, so I can use that installer :)
  14. Jackbandanna

Jackbandanna Active Member

I remember early on around 95 or 96, when we got AOL, you were given like 12hrs of connection time a month. We used an old 2400bps modem and soon "upgraded" to a 14,400bps modem. I remember the first website I looked up was PBS' Wishbone website, took about a minute to fully load some text and pictures.

Now kids moan if their eyes have to watch streaming videos in SD. It's only a matter of time before I'm yelling at them to get off my lawn.
    mot9001, corteks and cdrkf like this.
  15. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

I can't even watch 720p60 most of the time and I can't evenstream low quality twitch.

My 3 short years in the 90's I don't remember, but what I do remember is Dark Orbit. The original one that came with Wild Tanget games on XP as a demo. Bought the full game and shortly after they dropped support for it and the code no longer is accessible and I've lost the XP OS that had it on it. Downside of web based games. (Web based as in used a browser for its UI and didn't work the same way as PA does)

Also, PS2 was the BOMB when it came out.

Oh! We had satellite internet. 415MB on a rolling 24 hour period. Couldn't even watch YouTube and clouds knocked or internet out. We live in the cloudiest part of Ohio.
  16. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I think I had my first contact with a computer in 1998 or 1999.
    Internet? Not before 2006
    stuart98 likes this.
  17. Jackbandanna

Jackbandanna Active Member

Pretty impressive for a person who writes computer jargon that goes way over my head.
  18. cdrkf

Wow I feel old now :p

Got my first computer in 93 (it was a hand me down and I was quite young, an IBM XT 286 running at a lightning fast 7mhz with 2mb of ram, a 768kb 5 1/4" floppy drive and a whopping 20mb hdd haha). I remember replacing it with a 100mhz 486 machine which was pretty epic at the time. I still can't get my head around the fact that my phone is way more powerful than the machine I used to do all my gaming on.

We had (dial up) internet around 97 as my mum needed it for work. I was playing TA online in 98 - 99.
    lapsedpacifist likes this.
  19. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

Turok dinosaurhunter and goldeneye son !
    mot9001 and corteks like this.
  20. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

What options? Its difficult to customize a system from the loading screen (Your not sure excactly what you get) There is no ban units list (i know many who want to see nukes gone) or even to see a person's stats so that you can better balance a game.