PA Marketing and operation regain interest

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by andrehsu, April 9, 2015.

?

Should we do this

1. Yes

72.7%
  2. Duh

45.5%
  3. Most definitely

63.6%
  4. Obviously and most definitely

45.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Because extra credits clearly always speaks absolute truths.
    PA isn't the typical AAA publisher based game.

And as I say, such an addon has to be really good, rushing it would be the worst mistake possible.
  2. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

for me i can savely say, yes ... because i wanted the "planetary" part of this game ...
    you don´t have to be a fan of supcom or TA to like this game ...

again which other game let´s you play on, launch nukes from or send killersatalites to AND reactivate OR EVEN smash planets with a deathstar ?
    Last edited: April 9, 2015
    doud likes this.
  3. eratosthenes

eratosthenes Active Member

How about this to get people interested again: Make Galactic War be something than obviously a first pass, back burner, who gives a crap, slap something together, faceless, spiritless shell of a feature? I could honestly love that. Oh and all the other features that just never happened. Features which, granted, they are working on... but still... the game was released without a handful of features that were either promised or tacitly expected (the unit cannon and the ability to save come to mind) and some still don't exist (the things Cola mentioned and 40 player games come to mind as well) or are in like alpha state (I'm looking at you GW and chronocam-based save/load). "Soon" stopped be endearing to me a long time ago.

I mean guys, they released a game that was supposed to have a revolutionary new way of saving and loading a game with the chronocam and then released the game without the ability to save at all, have only just introduced saving at all, have only done the first pass of saving in GW, and STILL don't have the chronocam-save/load running. That alone look so bad to everyone and then add in the other things. Finish the game... that'd be the best advertising one could hope for.
  4. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

except the dead ones
  5. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

Offline had been fulfilled round two weeks after the reviews were released... :(
    ...anyways, I don´t think most folks around are "really" interested in Save-Load. It´s one puzzle-piece. I´m more interested in more orbital units. Others might wanna see coop GW. Others would love to have 40 Player-Games.

There is only one thing everybody seems to be hyped for:
    More awesome terrain!
    This one should definitely be something covered in an addon!
  6. MrTBSC

then you think wrong ... the complains about a savefeature were very clear

sure wouldn´t mind it but hyped? not realy

i rather tend to disagree with that ... planetcreation and editing should work out of the gate with the coregame
    what you could put into an addon is more biomes or csgtypes stuff like that ...
    Last edited: April 10, 2015
    warrenkc likes this.
  7. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

Indeed, when this is added, minus the better graphics maybe and plus official dedicated servers, then is the time to start talking about an expansion pack / big update for marketing. I'd love to see the FA of PA happen, but first get all the promised stuff in ;)
  8. andrehsu

andrehsu Active Member

Journals as in online ones
  9. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

Wasn't local server just called first pass? All current servers that are private are because the community made that happen. We need server second pass for private servers so we don't need mods to see them.
    Bsport likes this.
  10. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

second this.

I find that actually a lot of the time they spout garbage.
  11. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I think a complete expansion (similar to FA) would be the way to go. PA has gotten a bit of a bad rep in some circles- and actually having talked to quite a few people I know from TA days who play Spring and such, by no means have all of them even heard of PA (hard to believe I know) and even less played it. I think there is probably still quite a large addressable market for PA.

If they could put together something that adds to PA (critically something not in the KS goals) like a second faction and a more formal story mode (+ other polish and stuff) and release it under a new name it could be a big win. It would earn them a second round at reviews, gives them chance to address the concerns from PA and gives them a legit new product to sell to the existing fans as well. Ideally I think they would be wise to offer it at a discount to anyone who already has PA (e.g. sell it for £20, or £15 if you already own PA). If they're shrewd about how the set the multi-player up, they could even amalgamate the player-base with the existing PA players by keeping the base faction the same (and people owning the new IP would have access to the second, balanced faction whereas people on original PA would only have base).

The main argument against any of this is that to do the above would probably require a good chunk of money (not far off what they needed for PA I'll bet), and it's difficult to determine if there would be sufficient interest. Then again I'm guessing FA did ok, as they went on to make SupCom 2 after it so it could very well be a good move.
    Nicb1 and warrenkc like this.
  12. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

Yes, I didn't play TA or any other RTS Games of this style, but I'm just waiting for the balance to settle so I can learn a meaningful play style and mods are interesting.
    warrenkc, cdrkf and tunsel11 like this.
  13. nateious

nateious Active Member

I'd be happy with just a boneyards GW like meta game with newsbot like fluff posts.

Setup a game mode with a "galaxy" consisting of 20-30 maps to fight over, in 1v1s or team vs teams, let players choose a faction (based on commander) that they want to fight for at the start of each Galactic War and fight it out over a week, faction with the most victories at the end of the week wins. Or better, give that faction X number of commander spawns, eliminate that faction from the war when it runs out of commanders. Post some fluff blurbs about some of the bigger / final games. Show a galaxy map of each of the systems and which systems are held by which faction / each faction's remaining commanders etc.
    warrenkc likes this.
  14. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

So what we all want needs capital. And I'm not sure where it can be generated. If uber does another kick starter it's going to get some more bad PR for the length of development of a expansion. And if they get a publisher then we won't probably get what we all have in mind. It's a tricky slope. uber does have alot more experience then any of us in gaming development and how to make a game last. not many indie games last at all. And uber are still giving there best with what they have at PA. I have faith that we will see something come out of uber that leads us down a better road.
    cdrkf likes this.
  15. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

PA has done really well sales wise apparently, just look at how many people own the game on Steam!

This btw is another reason to need an expansion- After everybody buys your game.. Where you get money? (Okay yes commanders, but not everyone buys those, and if everyone did.. Money would stop yet again.)
  16. perfectdark

perfectdark Active Member

Am I right in thinking that once work on Save/Load is finished then they will be able to build a good campaign akin to what we had in Total Annihilation? If so then I would suggest waiting until this is complete so reviewers actually have something to play that they can review.
  17. MrTBSC

making a propper campaign is time and ressource intensive and we are speaking still about a small team for the game than original ... it is not so easy ...
    Nicb1 likes this.
  18. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Random thought: Making an addon called "Planetary Annihilation: Experimental Warfare" that adds 2 or 3 really super units as well as maybe one new unit to every tech level would be doable. Experimental units have never been promised I think and they are "cheap" to do and an addition that lots of people probably would like.
    But even then I would not release that kind of addon before at minimum another galactic war rework and a lot of bug fixes and polish.
  19. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Agreed. Iron out as many problems as can possibly lie, then they should take a very sensible investment of a few thousand into tactical advertizement, youtubers if they will do it even, some google advertizement which shows up on youtube, some sort of addon which renames the game's "edition" and makes it universally elgible for rerating despite personally thinking that is the bull-mess logic derived from IGN benefiting their own best stupid interest.
    They could sharpen GW while they are at it. They currently have a good foundation. Either lay some galactic map mechanics to add strategic buildup and expanse...

...or do what FTL Captain's Edition did and do a mild progression redesign where you can keep playing at a current difficulty stage until you are happy with your loadout before progressing to a stronger enemy, such as playing contested stars for loadouts with both you at low tech and then having a point you can choose to play more strongly contested stars where the enemies have more tech but you advance slots for yourself as well.