PA Marketing and operation regain interest

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by andrehsu, April 9, 2015.

?

Should we do this

1. Yes

72.7%
  2. Duh

45.5%
  3. Most definitely

63.6%
  4. Obviously and most definitely

45.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. andrehsu

andrehsu Active Member

So a while back, someone (not me) talked about how uber could regain interest and refresh reviews for pa by releasing a free "addon pack", which is pretty much just a update with a fancy name , in a thread I could not find due to search :) . So what a better time to do this than with the save update? One of the most heavily criticed point of the game is now being fixed, what a better time to gain interest? Huh, @jables?
    warrenkc likes this.
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

That was my idea :p
    I don't think PA is at the point where it should do that yet. It should do that once all base (read: stuff that kickstarter backers expected) features are complete and the free addon needs to add stuff on top of that.
    Doesn't actually have to be free at that point as well though. But just save+load as an "addon" is likely to yield "wtf you just added the feature you promised for years".
  3. andrehsu

andrehsu Active Member

What exactly do the backers want though. From the way I see it, save load plus some polish fulfills everything the "backers" want. Offline has also been fulfilled.

There also seem to be this misconception that uber dumped pa when it turned 1.0. Just go read the pc gamer review comments and you will see how people think uber dumped pa and was moving on to another "cash grab" kick starter. Another thing is that people think 2 million is a huge sum of money. But when compared to supcom. Not a lot.
  4. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

5. andrehsu

andrehsu Active Member

The only options I see are yes duh, most definitely and obviously most definitely
  6. cola_colin

Sure there are problems with the public image of PA and something like an addon could certainly help a lot with reverting that. But that addon has to be _good_. Like mindblowing polished and well thought out. It has to clearly address the justified critic points that people gave PA. Basically the later it is released the better. Polish. And more polish.
    pieman2906, Remy561 and Bsport like this.
  7. andrehsu

andrehsu Active Member

But what else do the backers want? You didn't really expand on that
  8. MrTBSC

biased poll i call a mod @cola_colin ...

seriously though it´s way to early to put out any sort of addon yet
    and it HAS TO be a propper one not just some fancy name ...
    and yes people are already chringy with the term "gamma"
    they were chringy with the term "free update" even though it was what it meant ... *sigh*
    point is ... no fancy terms ... if there shall be a content addon there should be one for when the corecontent is complete and fully functional ... an addon as it says just adds to that but should not neccesary to enjoy the game ... a save feature IS neccesary and putting a fancy term on it like "free addon" ... ... SUPER BAD (yes in caps) idea ...

examples:
    extrafactions
    differnt unitdesigns for existing units (pure visual)
    new commanders
    a story driven campaign
    new modes
    new units

but again in a way that they are not needed to enjoy the coregame ..
    you don´t want to split the community

what is missing now the game should not include in a addon but now:
    improved galaktic war and multiplayer
    orbital multiunit tranports and carriers to help orbital be easier for invading

something i personaly like to see:
    orbital and naval teleporters
    set of hovercraft units and dedicated factory
    Last edited: April 9, 2015
    nateious and doud like this.
  9. cola_colin

galactic war improvements, multiplayer galactic war, asteroid belts, better graphical effects, lots of small bugfixes and usability features. PA clearly was released too early. That mistake absolutely cannot be repeated with a theoretical expansion/addon.
  10. iacondios

iacondios Active Member

The thing this backer wants is stability...I don't want to ever see "connection to server lost", have my UI crash, or have the game slow to a crawl (unless you have 10 planets and 10000 units). Once that arrives, then I would feel that PA is ready to invite another look from the community at large.
  11. andrehsu

andrehsu Active Member

I don't think multiplayer gw was ever planned. And uber should just merge pa-fx :)
  12. cola_colin

I think a large portion of the playerbase assumed different at some point. Well I guess a multiplayer gw could be part of a theoretical addon.
    Yes they most certainly should merge in some of the fx mods
  13. MrTBSC

it was, they talked in videos many times about players login out of running games and come back in or be temporarily replaced by another player or an ai ...

they could just copy/steal (uh bad word .. BAD!) the fxmods you kiwi and alpha made
    i mean they just make the game look so much more awesome without looking out of place or arstyle they just fit well into it ...
    Last edited: April 10, 2015
  14. andrehsu

andrehsu Active Member

I think that is for skirmishes not gw. I could be wrong, link?
  15. MrTBSC

multiplayer GW would be nothing else than a series of skirmishes ... they talked about how different to GW vs AI
    instead of turns Multiplayer GW would go on in real time with "turns" taking x ammount of time example one turn = 1 hour
  16. andrehsu

andrehsu Active Member

I mean all they need to do is to get the word out that it is still updated and patched. That alone I believe will change a lot of the perceptions. All they need is for gaming journals to broadcast the message
  17. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

revamped GW will get some attention I expect
  18. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

also, OP is going to hell for not putting in a "No." option
    killerkiwijuice likes this.
  19. MrTBSC

people can see that taking a look at steam ... no one realy cares about gamemagazines that much
    i rather would like some propper youtubers to revisit this game because as i find it is shockingly undercovered
    almost like not at all ...

he sure is going to the nine´s cycle for not putting grumpy cat in there as well
    Last edited: April 9, 2015
  20. nawrot

nawrot Active Member

DUH, it will not help at all. Watch extra credit movie on yt about game life cycle.
    I wrote about this in another topic.

And this reminds me of almost exact copy from 2009 in old unreal tournament forums.
    I have that sense of dejavu.

What could help is some discount or madness pa week on steam, but only when pa can keep players after promotion ends. Now be honest with yourself would PA keep you if you were not total fan of TA & similar rts games? Wh7y not fan of ta style? Because everybody who played TA probably tried or heard about PA by now.