Scaling down the UI

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by andrehsu, February 17, 2015.

1. andrehsu

andrehsu Active Member

Also, can you make it so that it scales third party ui such as the commander hud?
  2. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Erm, maybe. I could probably apply zoom to the floating frame framework mod (which is used by the comm hud). Hopefully that won't mess up anything.
  3. andrehsu

andrehsu Active Member

I just looked at the code on github, and if I am understanding this correctly, all it took was a css file dictating zoom = .7?
  4. DeathByDenim

Well, that and figuring out which scenes need to be scaled and which not (see modinfo.json). Also, the positioning of the menus during the game is messed up and for some reason the transit screen gets magnified. I haven't had time yet to work more on this.
  5. andrehsu

andrehsu Active Member

So would removing the "transit=..." line temporary solve the transit scene problem. Also is there a documentation on which scene is which
  6. DeathByDenim

That didn't seem to matter. It's kind of weird.
    And no, there is no documentation of the scenes. I just use "grep -R loadMod media/ui/game" to find them all. That's for Linux and Mac though. There may be an equivalent for that in Windows if you use that.
  7. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

That however doesn't fix the main issue with the main game view, as that view is more complicated.
    Or does it?
  8. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

are you nuts? :rolleyes: no, no grep has no real windows equivalent.
  9. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb490907.aspx

-w-
    DeathByDenim likes this.
  10. tatsujb

11. DeathByDenim

tatsujb likes this.
  12. tatsujb

I'm genuinely surprised TBH, seems like something windows pulled right out of it's ***. never expected cmd to have such a handy command.

my experience with cmd thus far is "you can't do this", "you can't do this either", "nooope", "no way"
  13. DeathByDenim

As I understand it the power shell that Windows introduced at some point made it a lot more powerful. Was that Windows 7? I don't remember. But I say that without having ever touched it of course.
  14. tatsujb

it didn't change cmd. it's a completely seperate program. yes any tech-savy windows user would much rather use powershell than cmd.

powershell is still below some other forms of upgraded powershell, whose names i don't remember but even those are still decades behind terminal.
  15. ORFJackal

ORFJackal Active Member

16. mkrater

mkrater Uber Alumni

Just to let you know, there is a known issue with 4k monitors not displaying fullscreen. :(
  17. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

"monitor"
    television.

I have a laptop with a 3200 by 1800 display, UI scaling is a huge problem for most programs that I run, it's horrible. Some buttons are really small, sometimes the window is scaled up but not the window's contents, it really is atrocious. It'll be a few years before resolutions higher than 1080p start to gain serious ground for desktop monitors, namely, when programmers start updating their programs' UIs for such resolutions. And, of course, when affordable GPUs can process 4k content with reasonable speed. A $300 card will run even the most graphically intensive games at very good performance (really, the only reason why you'd want a more expensive card is for recording, 4k, or for 120hz monitors), but only up to 1080p, any higher and it quickly becomes terrible.
    Last edited: April 7, 2015
  18. ORFJackal

ORFJackal Active Member

That's why I'm looking at 40" 4k, because it doesn't require scaling. The PPI is about the same as in 27" 1440p.

P.S. The panel may be the same as in a television, but the electronics is that of a monitor (so the input lag is low etc.), so it's considered a monitor. ;)
  19. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

So? My television has a 'gaming mode' that reduces input lag to that of a monitor, does that make it a monitor?
  20. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Too me the thing that always differentiated a monitor from a TV was a TV had its own internal sound without needing speakers. But i guess the lines have been blurred.

If it has the tech of a monitor alone it is a large monitor, just as there can be small TVs.