The Future of PA

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Zaphys, March 29, 2015.

1. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Modern blackberries are definitely smartphones...?
  2. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

so then they lost the race, point and case.

or did we forget where we were going with this?
  3. cdrkf

BlackBerry, despite popular tech reporting, stayed about level in terms of users. The 'demise' of them is purely down to the fact the market got bigger whilst they stayed pretty much level hence their market share got less... point is they're still in business and they still make great kit for people who don't want a toy.

all of that also doesn't negate the fact they created the smart phone market, not apple.
  4. tatsujb

@cdrkf dude, look I get that you're trying to drag me into this applefanboy war, but I'm sorry I want no part in it. I'm a Linux user. I mostly dislike apple on a sheer price/HW basis, I've never bought an apple product. ever.

But all I'm saying is as a techie, I can really appreciate what they've done.

what you're stating now is absolutely beside my original point.

I recognise that BB has some older smartphone elements but then microsoft did even more so, if we dig deep.

I set a specific criteria : the term smartphone.

it's specific enough. And even by wikipedia's standart (which BTW isn't a word-of-god because it likes to state the history, and not the now of individual terms(which is ludicrously archaic to the point of being innexact)) that rules out BB because of the touchscreen
    Last edited: April 3, 2015
  5. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Hey isn't this thread about PA?

Also what does HW stand for?
    squishypon3, nateious and cola_colin like this.
  6. tatsujb

it's when I see stuff like this that I rage at ppl's stupidity :
    [​IMG]

think about it : what's so impressive about doing slightly better now what somone laid the groundworks for before?

Do you often find yourself moking the creators of Java because now you write easily programs in Java that it's makers had a tough time making?

no. then why the doube standarts?
    it had it's time. [​IMG]

Hardware
  7. Geers

Geers Post Master General

cdrkf likes this.
  8. cdrkf

I'm fed up with misinformed people crediting apple for stuff they didn't invent. Your correct ms has done lots of firsts too (tablets anyone) yet the iPad gets the recognition.

Apple are good at marketing, to the point they've convinced many they invented things they didn't.

Tablets and smartphones both existed pre Apple. As I said they make good quality stuff and market it well, but don't try and tell me what they created as there are many examples of things that pre date apples big products. Popularizing something isn't the same as inventing it and doesn't make them a pre cursor to anything.
    Geers likes this.
  9. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I always thought star trek invented tablets
    Last edited: April 3, 2015
  10. tatsujb

I didn't say anything about tablets.

and my point about the exact definition of smartphone still stands.

I'm sorry cdrkf, but I'm not the average defendant. I was very careful with what I said.

If you read my original post you'll see that.

I think you're in the case of being a tightly wound spring with many ideas that was waiting to spring out at an apple fanboy except you've missed your mark and lurched out at me, a totally unrelated bystander.
  11. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

*prods everyone viciously as they have gone so wildly off topic
  12. cdrkf

Tbh I think this thread should have been closed ages ago....
  13. tenaciousc

tenaciousc Active Member

Maybe this thread can be salvaged....

Expansion for Planetary Annihilation

The factions in Planetary Annihilation find a new argument to fight over: Who invented what. New units must be created to fight in this new argument:

The "Fanboy": Believes itself superior to other units despite having no weapons or armaments. Low level scout.

The "Elitist": Shiniest, most expensive unit in the game. Covered in gleaming unobtainium. Can only be built by special factory that is incompatible with any fabbers. Cannot be assisted. Cannot be repaired unless returned to factory that built it.

The "Model S": Same exact specs as the Elitist but with basic paint job, costs half as much. Can be built by any factory and repaired by any fabber.

Mega units:

The "Gateskeeper": A structure that generates metal and energy in huge amounts so you can simply build excessive numbers of units to overwhelm your opponent with numbers.

"Odd Jobs": Robot with giant head (for ego storage) that rules with an iron fist. Its own units fear it. Uses special "Eye P.O.D.D." soundwave weapon that can violently vibrate other units until they fall apart. Advanced A.I. for different thinking.

The "T.u.X.X": Extremely powerful unit that costs nothing to build or use but is the least used unit in the game. Uses "R00T Gun" to take control of other units.
    DeathByDenim and cdrkf like this.
  14. cdrkf

I think you just won the internet...
    tenaciousc likes this.
  15. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

yeah i really think experimental units would add a whole new level of awesomeness, and it's also the type of thing that makes people stay/come back. I know people like the T3 units in PA mods, they go crazy for them.
    [​IMG]
  16. blightedmythos

blightedmythos Active Member

I just don't see Uber doing experimentals. I want them, people definitely want them. There is a minority on these forums that don't want them. Mostly because they hated how powerful they were in FA. Crazy idea, but just because something is OP in one game doesn't mean it can't be toned down in PA but still be interesting. I find that a really poor argument. Experimentals can even be utility based without a bunch of damage. Things like flying aircraft carriers and mobile factories for examples.

I just don't think Uber is really capable of "epic" or that epic feel that FA did so well. We will see but the current tract record doesn't really showcase anything that wows me. I still have high hopes for something really impressive coming out. Maybe Uber is just holding back on some really cool unit designs somewhere or something. I guess we'll have to wait another year or so to see what happens. I small part of me thinks what Uber has come out with is pretty much it. I can totally see them continuing to add small features and bugs and then moving on to another game. It would explain why we haven't really seen any major content updates in the last year.
  17. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

That's actually not the reason many dislike experimentals, the real reason is because they are simply "too big" and that the aesthetic of PA should be more so focused on huge armies of teeny tiny units. Because "epic" is subjective.

Personally I think experimentals are really cool! And with the support of @zx0 made a mod that contains a megabot. However do I think I'd like it in Vanilla? Mmm.. I'm not sure right now. It'd be a fun little thing to try out.
  18. tatsujb

as disscussed many times before this is relative, REALLY relative, and a factor of scale, which SHOULD be changed.
  19. perfectdark

perfectdark Active Member

The problem with experimentals is people rushing them. Also they wouldn't fit through gates, which are a bit more important now.

I wouldn't have a problem with introducing an experimental you can't realistically build until 30 minutes in. But I wouldn't want every single-planet FFA ruined by someone turtling and rush building an experimental which can't be stopped. I'd much rather the end game get decided by killing off resource structures to stop production rather than building a single unit and wiping everyone out.
  20. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

If my super unit isn't five times bigger than my regular units it's not much of a "super unit", no? No matter the scale super units will be quite a bit larger than regular units. Which a lot of people here dislike. They argue the idea of PA is to see humongous armies of tiny units.

Epic is very relative, what is "too big" is also very relative.

Like I said earlier Super Units could be really awesome- I'm not so sure that it'd fit in vanilla though. Who knows?