The Future of PA

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Zaphys, March 29, 2015.

1. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I don't know of such a quote. How long ago was that?
  2. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

3. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Remember this is a TA genre game, and more than any other type of game, *players almost always come back* :) it was true for ta, it was true for spring, I'm guessing it's the case for FA.

PA is a very young game in comparison and I'm certain give people a reason and they'll give it another go. The issue right now is the major stuff being worked on focuses on improving single player, so we're not seeing the multi player numbers associated with earlier updates.

My advice: in the immortal opening line of the hitchhiker guide to the galaxy... DON'T PANIC :)
  4. perfectdark

perfectdark Active Member

If a few more staff from Uber got involved in the forum and posted about the stuff they were working on from a technical perspective and what they were aiming for then none of this negative chatter would be happening.
  5. tatsujb

upload_2015-4-1_15-28-50.png

please tell me you're not for real.
  6. cdrkf

Eh? I've never played FA online so...?
  7. tatsujb

well for your guidance FAF scores more players than Spring (all vers combined), TA and sometimes PA as well (currently it's the case). that and a slow but steady and unfaltering growth.
    Last edited: April 1, 2015
    cdrkf likes this.
  8. cdrkf

So my point that it retains players (despite loss of the original on-line service) is correct then :) My point is players of this genre in particular tend to come back / stick around, I see no reason why the same isn't true of PA.
  9. tatsujb

yes it shocked me that you didn't think of FAF as the prime example of that.
  10. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

They tried that and people freaked out about what they said. There is no way for them to please everybody and At least this way they don't dig themselves into a hole
  11. Zainny

Zainny Active Member

I still love watching FAF casts (Gyle) and playing every now and then. It's such an incredible game at this point. So many years of iteration, polish, balance, etc.

FAF is just so incredible to see in action - beautiful tactical terrain and varied maps, lots of factions and varied units each with a unique feel, unique weapons, incredible sound, experimentals, etc.
  12. tatsujb

:p I'm the choir and you're preaching.

do continue though, I quite enjoy it
  13. kalherine

kalherine Active Member

Are you in the same movie then us?
    How can players come back if they never here?
    Probably when PA got is full potencial, there will be no players to play here, and you ask wy!
    Are you aware the RTS that are coming ?

The biggest problem of PA where lunch a unfinish game,and dont try all this time improve with the right decisions.

Just has an ex. this https://palobby.com/chat/ was the best thing i saw here( Its best then faf actualy ,just dont have the same full options )

We ask over and over for PA team for this ,they just ignore all,its without any question the most important tool here ,and have to be Cola_ Colin do the job that explain all about all the miss features, isnt it.

I see a lot potencial on this game but i have to say this since im hate for be too mush direct........its on the rong developer team .....

Im not say they arent good because they are ,but they dont have the right vision to this game .

Or if they have ,wy so mush worries if everithing ok?
  14. jamesw100

jamesw100 Member

Are spherical battles in real rife fundamentally flawed?
  15. blightedmythos

blightedmythos Active Member

Every update doesn't bring anything new to the table. This game needs new features and a major overhaul first and foremost. If you want to drastically increase the player base galactic war needs to be overhauled and made a lot more interesting. A lot of people buy rts games for single player fun and yet Uber completely neglects that player base. Really poor management and design decision.
  16. blightedmythos

blightedmythos Active Member

Wouldn't surprise me, macs are usually 2-3 generations behind what's modern. I am honestly surprised Apple gets away with this and still has such a huge following while having last generation tech.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  17. tatsujb

it really depends.

I mean they where the first to put out what we today call a high capacity mp3 player, the first to put out what we today call a smartphone, the first to put out today's airbooks. Apple's trashbin looking mac pro is a revolutionary design IMO.

I'm not a fanboy but I've gotta give them credit for what they've done.

they were actually precusors.

and being a precursor in the industry is useless status wise.

I takes years to put together a production chain for a product but only months for technology to double in performance.

So what happens is you end up looking like the one who always comes in last place. Really a shame when they deserve some kind of thanks for taking the shaft up the butt of "being the first", thereby laying down the groundworks for everyone else.

don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of Apple basically skinning linux then selling it.

but as an expert case-builder, I can appreciate a job well done.
  18. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Their cases may be aesthetically pleasing but functionally pleasing? Nope. Computer built into a monitor is bad design.
  19. Diaboy

Diaboy Active Member

How do you see it as bad design? Not being obstreperous, just want to hear your take on it. I think it's an interesting design move, I suppose the benefits of an all-in-one package are definitely there. In some situations I can certainly see that being a big hindrance (upgrading an iMac has always been a pain) but it's not without advantages, even if they are fewer than they perhaps could be.

If you've ever dismantled a Mac Pro case (pre cylinder), you'll know that they are incredibly well thought through. It's pretty much just a typical tower case with almost every component manufactured specifically to fit more effectively with the overall package, yet still provides similar levels of customisation to a typical tower. Bit of a pain in the proverbial to get an ATX in there though!

Back when I first bought mine, I think I spent £2500 or so on it, which was a big investment but it was primarily for work, and the equivalent kit for a windows system was well over twice that. Apple seem to have this weird pricing which means, ignoring aesthetics, the lower end computers are a fairly poor deal but it flattens out at the top end. At least, it used to be - not sure how that stacks up now.
  20. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Well just think of it like a laptop case- Similarly everything was built smaller to fit into.

One big disadvantage I see if the screen breaks or stops working for whatever reason- It'd be very akward to use another monitor.. In fact do Macs even have HDMI ports and such to go to TVS and monitors? I've never really checked so honest question... Oh and it also can have some heating issues with every component being packed in so tight.