Galactic war useless upgrades

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by esqmo, March 29, 2015.

1. esqmo

esqmo New Member

My rant...

I think the Galactic war would be a lot less frustrating if you actually got half decent upgrades after a hard fight. I just spent 2 hours fighting an AI (relentless) that was on another planet in an ocean with only the artillery upgrade (and 2 useless upgrades). It's just a grind of spamming artillery, air defence and orbital defence on the shore and constantly trying to build shipyards until I finally managed to get one built. Even then I took another hour of spamming ships until I finally got him. I couldn't stop his eco since I had no orbital tech upgrades and he had jigs on a gas giant.

Anyway, after this long hard fight I was expecting something cool. Maybe, I would get some advanced units, perhaps some obital tech or even just a basic air factory would have made this worthwhile...

Nope, I get compression storage. yay! *sarcasm*. Even if I had a free slot I wouldn't bother with it.

After 6 wins I'm stuck with:
    1. Advanced Defence Technology (I don't have any advanced units yet...)
    2. Bot Engine Tech (I don't even have bots...)
    3. Artillery Tech
    All of the available missions have 3+ planets (so probably 2 AI opponents). I don't think I'm going to make it to 7 wins :(

Please make the upgrade system a little smarter so you can't end up in this situation.
    sgrock, Planktum and mjshorty like this.
  2. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Storage is actually amazing, hehe. >.>
  3. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

ha ha, noob..... Kappa
  4. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

Anyways, Galactic War is a dice toss, you either get good tech and win, or nothing and loose (especially at the higher levels) because youl soon start running into multi-systems with more commanders, and you just have to have the right tech cards to win, simple as that.

Tech cards > Skill
  5. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

There used to be a mod that could show you wich tech you will get from a planet (and even if you get a loadout for a leader system), as long as you found a path to that planet. Ministery of R&D something?
    Another mod shows you how many and what difficulty enemies you will get.
    GW is a roguelike. You get whatever RN-Jesus decides. But since it is Singleplayer, you can cheat.

Edit: Section of... UI mods by wondible
    Last edited: March 29, 2015
  6. davostheblack

davostheblack Well-Known Member

Galactic War is broken on a fundamental level because of the way load outs are handled. An RTS shouldn't contain such a completely random feature, kind removes the whole Strategy thing
  7. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

>Noob.
    >Early alpha player.
    >Kappa.

You guys just underestimate it. It's nice not to contantly waste.
    igncom1 likes this.
  8. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I always tend to overspend in the early game, and then promptly give up in the late game eco and micro management.
  9. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

so again i like to suggest a more rpg like unlocksystem for galactic war that gives you ... datapoints? between matches you can spent to gain new, better, more technology?
  10. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

Galactic war is so stupid.

For some reason our commander awakes with hardly any Tech available, but the opposition commanders have all Tech available. It seems like Uber didn't think this through at all and just thought "hey let's have unlockables, awesome, now we've finally achieved our Galactic war Kickstarter promise, done!"

It's absolutely pointless fighting 4 commanders on different planets if you don't have orbital tech.
  11. andrehsu

andrehsu Active Member

And also some maps have planets that only have 6 metal. What? And considering the the AI has two commanders, they got a significant advantage due to their commander's eco.
  12. tenaciousc

tenaciousc Active Member

It can also work in your favor. In my current GW game I got upgrades to my commander early. So I now have a commander with twice as much health, extra armor and who moves twice as fast as normal. All I've been doing is building a vehicle factory to send scouts out and then sending my speed-walking commander to go kill the enemy commander point blank once he's been found. Hasn't failed yet. I cherry picked the systems though, ones that were only one or two planets. Now I'm on a five planet system, will have to wage a traditional war unless I can find him early and get to his planet quickly.
  13. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

generaly expect/hope galaktic war to be over-/reworked when saving works propperly
    the problem with the current implementation is it´s TOO rng ...
    igncom1 likes this.
  14. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Ever play FTL and get drones from rewards only when lacking drones, or weapons if you happen to be playing the few weapon-weak rigs? Yeah. Sometimes the game intentionally makes it possible to get things that you can choose to either work torwards using, or discarding. Like bots in your case, getting advanced used to be a lot easier without bots at all, and they adjusted it so you can build the basic factory and fabber now IIRC. Now, if you get it, you can wait to get basic ones as well, or you can discard it and keep the course with your current tech.

If you want fairly very reliable tech, either use the starting commander you very first have, or grind for the Assault commander which gives you all 4 basic factories without structural defences which is very flexible for getting upgrades as any upgrade or buff can be used whether all for 1 type or for various ones. I used assault, got tons of tank buffs, and just used tanks, or air buffs and just use air, or bot and tank ones and used both, or got advanced in 1 of them and could use it immediately instead of getting basic to go with it.
  15. Drathmar

Drathmar New Member

Right now I have a love/hate with the GW going

Some campaigns it goes well and I get 3 cool Tech right off, (complete vehicle, vehicle combat tech, and super weapon cost discount) and it's so fun that I'm sad with the campaign is over. Other Campaigns, it's downright grueling and frustrating for no other reason than bad luck on the draw.

One I was playing 2 weeks ago, I had 26 systems, 5 data slots, no orbital tech or storage or adv units. I had all but given up on it, but I finally got an adv vehicle which was better but without orbital, it still grueling. Then the patch came, the Unit cannon was turned on in GW and it went MUCH better, but generally it was slow and frustrating and I was glad that campaign was over.

Just today I had a good game going, but had to waste some perfectly good cards. 8 Slots in use
    • Basic/adv Vehicle
    • Vehicle combat
    • Base/adv Air
    • Compression
    • Complete orbital
    • Orbital Cost Reduction

Then I kill a faction leader and take his 8 systems, I get 2 duplicate, 4 cool techs and 2 data slots, which I would have been happy with, but the data slots hadn't be the last 2 I picked up, I had to throw away both air and orbital combat tech. It was just frustrating, even when good things were to come your way, you can't use them because you grabbed the systems in the wrong order.

I would love to try harder campaigns where I have to consistently fight several foes, but if I can't get the techs to beat one foe I'm not sure what I'd d0 against two other than die early.

Of the ideas I read for improvement
    1. Be able to have a side bar of up to 3 inactive techs
    2. converting duplicate/rejected techs into open data slots
    3. have some kind of choice in what you get (be able to select a random econ/unit set/data upgrade) or even random pick 3 cards you can choose from
    4. make it more RPG-ish point system like supreme commander had, then you allocate points how you choose (one day I'd like to play a campaign and get the adv bot tech early on)

Personally, I think I'd prefer option 4 in the long term, the RPG-ish version, building out an upgrade tech tree and balancing properly might take a while. In the short term, any 2 of options 1,2,3 should help alleviate the frustration quite abit.

Drathmar
    tenaciousc likes this.