Why are Gil-E's still broken?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by thetdawg3191, March 28, 2015.

1. thetdawg3191

thetdawg3191 Active Member

i don't quite understand one thing about them. it is actually well known that the Gil-E's projectile allows it to shoot through anything it wants. walls, terrain, other units/buildings. it doesn't seem to matter.
    if you're in range of a Gil-E, you're fucked. and to top it all off these things are intentionally spammed to high hell for that very reason. its Gil-E or Di-E

what really irritates me though is that this is likely a very easy fix.
    just change the projectile type to something that can't ghost through things.

so WHY are these things still allowed to trapse around with jesus beams strapped to them?
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I think it is a design decision and not a bug.
    I agree it is a weird design decision and it should be changed, though that would probably require some other changes as well, as the bot would be rather useless. Even now shellers are better anyway.
    warrenkc likes this.
  3. pjkon1

pjkon1 Member

I could be wrong, but I think the issue was that with the curvature of the planets we use, you can't have a projectile fly straight from sniper to target over the Gil-E's range without it hitting the ground.
    warrenkc likes this.
  4. andrehsu

andrehsu Active Member

Shellers are very good counters for gil-e, a shot could take out 2-3 gil-e.
  5. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

I thought the same thing, but one of the devs confirmed it as a bug.
    kayonsmit101 likes this.
  6. burntcustard

burntcustard Post Master General

Source or didn't happen.

I think is weird, should be changed, but would need big buff to make them not useless if they couldn't shoot through stuff.
  7. Abaddon1

Abaddon1 Active Member

So best I could find trying to dig back through the forums was bgolus's particle system guide. Couldn't find somewhere they were actually saying the Sniper bots current action was a bug. Doesn't mean someone didn't just I couldn't find them saying it.
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/...2m5oik6f3Fw/edit?pli=1#heading=h.w92o5bx97vf9

Edit:
    My only (and likely very wrong) guess of what could be happening would be that collision detection is only done at actual particles, and beamsegmentlength is set large enough that there aren't enough actual particles to accurately detect collisions in-between.
    Last edited: March 28, 2015
  8. Diaboy

Diaboy Active Member

Yeah, I've remarked on this before as well. It's a difficult unit to balance in the context of PA because of the issue of direct LOS, sniper unit on planets with tight curvature. I don't mind the idea of a unit you can only really use on large planets, (it then becomes a strategic choice to only use on larger planets, or keep on elevated ground only) but my concern is that it becomes confusing - i.e how do you communicate that to the player clearly.

To be honest, I'd prefer that over magic bullets.

Maybe we need a contour overlay so you can see higher ground more clearly.
  9. cola_colin

I am quite sure that it is not a bug. I thought that. Then some other thread on it came up and somebody explained there is a setting to make it work. So if it were a bug the required fix would be to change one word in one json file.

Imho the bot should shoot bullets that go around the curvature of the planet, but not around csg stuff.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  10. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

It's always been on purpose from what I have seen, as otherwise, the snipers were kinda pointless.
  11. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

The forums search is difficult. But i promise you it happened, I remember because it was kind of akward. I said

"It's intended AFAIK"

And then the dev told me.

"No it's not"

Or something along those lines.
  12. Abaddon1

Abaddon1 Active Member

Thanks, that let me find it. Wasn't one of the devs who is on my radar as much.
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/lets-talk-about-terrain.67752/#post-1066841
  13. cola_colin

hmm maybe I mixed something about. But didn't somebody find a simple setting in the sniper bot json to "fix" the bug? Like litteraly a setting "hit_ground: false"
  14. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

I think it might be related to these lines in the bot_sniper_ammo.json

Code:
        "collision_check": "target",
        "collision_response": "impact",