Zero Games

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by ghosteyez, March 26, 2015.

1. ghosteyez

ghosteyez Member

I login, Click Multiplayer - ZERO GAMES.

Where are the players?

Alpha 400+ now...

I don't see ANY. lol!
  2. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

3. ghosteyez

ghosteyez Member

OMG, thank you =) bookmark that
    killerkiwijuice likes this.
  4. EdWood

EdWood Active Member

But yes, it has slowed down a lot... sadly.
  5. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Player count has been fairly steady, it's usually capped at around 500 players at one time during the weekdays and close to 1,000 during the weekend. Not bad considering there is an official launcher which 20-30% of the playerbase uses.
    cdrkf likes this.
  6. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

Sadly the online multiplayer community for PA is slowly dying. Uber really sucked at promoting their game.
  7. EdWood

EdWood Active Member

I would be happy if that is the case, but during my usual playtime, 9-12 pm EST, way way less games available and I do host my own games as well... :(
    Last edited: March 26, 2015
    Planktum likes this.
  8. iacondios

iacondios Active Member

I personally have been hanging around on the PTE builds to see long awaited bugfixes and new features, but the PTE isn't stable enough for me to risk a 40 minute game ending in <Server Connection Lost>, or having to restart midgame when my UI freezes. Once they push an update (stable) main build I'll be more inclined to host MP lobbies.

Though, my mindset might be a fairly small minority...
  9. pivo187

pivo187 Active Member

I've noticed the same thing..hardly any games is the game pretty much dead? Is sad to see PA die so quickly sup Com lasted for years after release.
  10. dmorchard

dmorchard New Member

I'm guessing that things will pick up in May. Check out Steam Charts; there was a trough this time last year too, then a peak through May and June. This was during Beta, prior to official launch in September. I don't know what the update schedule was like during that time, so I may be off base, but I bet the end of the spring term at North American colleges/universities is a factor.
  11. nateious

nateious Active Member

I'm on 4-6 nights a week around 8-10PM EST, playing 2-3 team games a night (2v2, 3v3, 4v4). Sometimes games fill instantly, sometimes there is a ~5 minute wait, but the amount of games I have to wait for seems fairly steady, so my average wait time hasn't really increased, at least not in a noticeable amount.

I do find it amusing when someone joins, waits for a moment and then leaves without saying a word. Usually if they stuck around another minute or two, the game would fill up.
    Planktum likes this.
  12. pivo187

pivo187 Active Member

Hmm not to sure about that. Sup Com servers were always populated even years after release. I remember playing fa 5 years after release! I still feel PA has alot missing & I played 3 games this week where every game crashed once...
  13. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I almost never play multiplayer, so yeah, infinite games open for me!
    tigerwarrior likes this.
  14. sebovzeoueb

sebovzeoueb Active Member

I honestly think that the game still isn't really finished. It's definitely almost there now, but I think it will still take a while for it to be really well polished. I imagine that we may see more players in the future when the game doesn't change so much, there are still pretty big patches that bring significant changes to the balance, and I believe there are still a bunch of bugs too. I think either people will lose interest before it attains stability, and it will die off, or more people will play when it is more stable.
  15. towerbabbel

towerbabbel Active Member

Lets hope PA doesn't stop making money before it gets finished then.
  16. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

In theory uber will open source PA when this eventually happens.
  17. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

I thought they couldn't do that because software patents? You never know when you might hit one. (Stupid software patents...)

Edit: Yeah, here's the source: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/source-code.64911/page-3#post-1014834
  18. Abaddon1

Abaddon1 Active Member

I think the large problem is splitting. You have a lot of people just playing single player games who would not show up in the multiplayer lobbies. Then you have people using PAlobby not really showing up in the normal lobbies reducing the number (at least I think PAlobby is distinct, I've never used it but that was my understanding). Games take a while so those people left are usually spread apart temporally so of the people playing public multiplayer most are probably in a game at any one time. Nothing particularly new.
  19. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

PALobby is not distinct at all, it is just the ingame server browser outside of the game in a normal browser.
  20. Abaddon1

Abaddon1 Active Member

Oh okay, I thought there was something sometime where PALobby games wouldn't show up in the in game browser or visa versa or something. Might just be mis-remembering though.