What's a tick again?

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by tatsujb, March 23, 2015.

1. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

How long does it last in each of the TA-FA-PA lineage?

is it relative when compared to time (by that what I mean is, is it a measure in time or rather a measure dependent on a CPU cycle of sorts and as such can take longer or shorter depending on the load?)

just what is a tick?
  2. teju__

teju__ Active Member

[​IMG]

2obvious2resist
    cdrkf, xankar, stuart98 and 2 others like this.
  3. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

one step of the simulation. In optimal conditions it takes 100ms in PA (that is why you see 10 sim fps). Not sure anymore how long it was in FA or TA. For FA I *think* it was 100ms as well.

EDIT:
    Hmm I didn't know those pesky parasites were called tick.
    In german we call them "Zecke" :p
    cdrkf, tunsel11 and tatsujb like this.
  4. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

It's pretty much the rate at which the server updates the data during a game, and ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ninja'd
  5. cola_colin

I would not say it is "the rate". The rate is fixed to 100ms or more.
    Basically the server calls tick() once every 100ms, which updates the state of the game and makes the game continue.
    However it does not call tick() before the last tick is completed, so if you have too many units and tick() needs more than 100ms to complete you will see less ticks per second than the game needs to progress at normal speed.
    tatsujb likes this.
  6. tatsujb

ok it's cool to know that it's fixed time.

so other question : how many ticks record states? do we really have a projectile pos and unit pos for every tick?

again TA, FA, PA if possible.
  7. cola_colin

dont really think that question makes much sense.
    The tick() call runs code that manipulates the state of the game.
    So yeah it can change with every tick, never inbetween.
    tatsujb likes this.
  8. tatsujb

so I though. I'm just making sure. that's why my question doesn't make sense.
  9. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

@cola_colin what's the difference in say 16 tick and 60 tick servers? That being that CS:GO competetive servers run at 16 tick and casual servers run at 60. I guess it makes it update faster.. But what is faster?

All I know is it makes Bunny Hopping way harder in comp... cx
  10. killerkiwijuice

16 tick means the server updates 160 times per second and 60 tick means the server updates 600 times a second.

I think you switched the frequencies around...
  11. squishypon3

I may have.. o_O
  12. cola_colin

No idea what CS:GO does, but if you do more ticks per second the game will run faster. At least when using the definition of ticks that I think PA uses, so if you speed up the game in PA you get more than 10 ticks per second.
    Maybe CS:GO has some additional code in place to not make the game run faster, but it only simulates in a more accurate way if you do more ticks per second.
  13. squishypon3

Yeah the game doesn't seem to run any faster, things are just more accurate.

Like I said with bunny hopping- you need to be way more exact on when to press space bar in comp gamws than on casual games.

That's why some people rig jump to mouse wheel up and down so it spams jump signals. Personally I just use an easy to press mouse button.
  14. killerkiwijuice

Yeah the only thing it really does for CS GO is increase the chances of actually hitting the target on your screen. With low tickrates you might think you hit the target but on the server, it thinks you missed.

In competitive you're always going to have a more reliable shot compared to casual unless there is sever lag or high ping.
  15. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

More ticks per second doesn't necessarily mean a faster game, it could instead be a smoother one, with each tick simulating a smaller time-slice (this is engine dependent). So with 100 ticks per second, each tick could simulate the effect of 1/100th of a second, as opposed to 10 ticks a second @ 1/10th second per tick. Both simulate the same period of time, but the former would be smoother. Basically how FPS typically works, with a greater value equal to a smoother picture.