The sorian PA AI thread

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Quitch, December 23, 2014.

1. dmorchard

dmorchard New Member

Those issues occured in every game, even absurd AIs.

A couple other interresting observations:
    • Absurd games were concluded before any attempts at T2
    • The relentless game involved some T2 naval
    • The hard game ended with an Sxx snipe
    websterx01 likes this.
  2. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

Most high level games end before T2, but its mostly the size of the map anyways. Set up a massive planet (+1000) and you will most likely see T2
  3. dmorchard

dmorchard New Member

Right. I wasn't suggesting that absurd AIs would never go T2, I just found it interesting what strategies were being deployed at the other AI levels where the games were 2x or 3x in length. Those tactics have been absent whenever I've skirmished against lower level AIs on Pacific - they've always done a single vehicle start and then stood admiring the view until my navy arrived at their beach. I haven't actually skirmished against the AI yet in 79600, but I have a feeling I'm in for a more satisfying match if I go for the northern spawn :D
  4. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Would love for you to try out the Queller AI. Always looking for feedback :)
  5. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

Having ran a test in whatever is the current version, it still just sits there only taking a few mex and building a few bot factories while Southern AI will leap ahead in map control and unit production.
    Hoopla2.jpg
    I realize this isn't far in, but even a few minutes later, nothing had changed.
  6. Quitch

The AI will send radar to gas giants, and I don't believe there's any reason to do so.

The AI will send its orbital fabbers to gas giants and then move them halfway around the planet to build things despite no threat on the gas giant. It really needs to not do that :). It does it for other orbital fabber builds on other planets too where it also shouldn't.
  7. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

I would like to compare it to the AI that Sorian provides, but Uber be Uber misses some features that were present in the previous supcom games
  8. dmorchard

dmorchard New Member

I'd love to! PM me some instructions.
  9. Quitch

That the AI can detect CanDeploy[Land/Naval]FromBase on spawn is really, really helpful. However, it seems to only detect one or the other on spawn, not both. This is a little limiting on maps like Pacific, and while I have some hacky workarounds, it'd be nice if the AI would detect based on what was in its spawn circle or something, anything to allow it to run both before spawn.
  10. Quitch

I was doing some tests today on how the AI takes metal and it seems there are some problems with this, especially for naval fabbers.

My test setup was as follows:

Two AI's, the one in slot 1 was set to Absurd and has 1.0 eco. Slot 2 has a 0.0 eco.

The AI commander will build one air, land and navy factory (starting with the expansion method to be tested) then nothing but energy.

Build previews are enabled Always. Queued MEXs can be seen by wireframe.

The factories are set to build only fabbers. When UnableToExpand is false the factory of the expansion type being tested will produce fabbers, when it's true the other factories will produce fabbers.

Fabbers have only a single build item.

Code:
    {
       "build_list":[
          {
             "name":"Basic Metal Extractor - Area",
             "to_build":"BasicMetalExtractor",
             "instance_count":-1,
             "priority":261,
             "base_sort":"FromBuilder",
             "builders":[
                "AnyBasicFabber",
                "AnyAdvancedFabber"
             ],
             "build_conditions":[
                [
                   {
                      "test_type":"CanFindMetalSpotToBuildBasic",
                      "boolean":true
                   }
                ]
             ],
             "placement_rules":{
                "placement_type":"FromMainBaseCenter",
                "threat":{
                   "influence_type":"AntiSurface",
                   "compare_type":"<",
                   "radius":10,
                   "value":50
                }
             },
             "task_type":"AreaBuild"
          }
       ]
    }
    You will see in the land video that the AI has idle fabbers even when there are unclaimed metal spots with no MEX queued for them.

You will see in the air video that the AI has idle fabbers even when there are unclaimed metal spots with no MEX queued for them. There are also two safe metal spots that the AI never claims.

In the naval video the AI stops expanding very quickly, even though most of the metal on the map is still unclaimed. The air and land factories never produce fabbers, so the AI knows there are unclaimed safe areas, but it never moves to take them.

Attached Files:

11. Quitch

Also I think PlanetWithoutFabberWithTeleporter is being set to false by the presence of an orbital fabber, something that clearly shouldn't happen.
  12. Quitch

In a six AI FFA on PAX Prime 2014, the fourth AI will barely participate in the game. Something about that spawn breaks the AI. Neither vanilla or Queller work properly in that spot.

Edit: Queller now handles this spawn fine most of the time.
    Last edited: April 4, 2015
  13. julien119

julien119 Member

In the most recent patch while playing against an absurd AI on forge, it blocks 1-3 mexes at the start by building a factory or power plant over them putting it at a disadvantage.
  14. Quitch

15. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

I think that may not be an AI bug. I often have that when I sent an orb fabber to a gas planet and issue a full planet area build command. The first jig it tries to build is inevitable very very far away from the entry point. Granted, the AI doesn't do area builds, but it may be related anyway.
  16. Quitch

Can the AI send anything other than radar and fabbers between planets? I thought it could, but having watched a number of games I don't think I've seen it happen.
  17. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I thought it did build SXX...?
  18. Quitch

Building them isn't the issue, it's that I haven't seen them leave a planet's orbit.
    cdrkf likes this.
  19. Quitch

Currently the AI only builds jigs when it wants metal, it isn't setup to use them as an energy source even though they're great at that too.
  20. Quitch

AI fabbers arriving by teleporter seem to always choose build locations miles away from home. Are they using base references from the old planet or something?

2015-03-29 17_06_06-2015-03-29_00001.jpg