Assault Carriers

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Warhead2121, March 20, 2015.

?

Should the assault carrier be added

1. Yes

75.0%
  2. No (explain why in topic)

25.0%
  1. Warhead2121

Warhead2121 New Member

Basicaly an orbital unit that can carry ground and air units from planet to planet.

It can only be built from an orbital factory and cost twice as much as a laser satellite.

It can carry up to 30 units in total however cannot transport the commander

While having light defensive armament it has twice the health of a laser satellite giving it a good chance of getting to the surface despite the presence of umbrellas, anchors, and other defensive forces.

It basically serves as a 3rd option of getting troops from planet to planet( the 1st being the use of orbital fabs to make transporters and the 2 being the unit cannon)

Edit 3/20/15
    I read some topics about how the engine doesn't work well for multi unit transports and I think a solution would be to instead possible make assault carriers the equivalent of a UEF fatboy.

While not as heavily armed it could instead produce air and land units once it has landed on the planet surface at twice the speed and twice the rate.
    Last edited: March 20, 2015
    cdrkf, xankar and christer1966 like this.
  2. christer1966

christer1966 Member

Accidentally voted no. I think this is a really good idea, however the devs have said that the engine doesn't cope well with multi-unit transports or something like that. Count my vote as a yes.
  3. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

see Uber forum???

this is why we can have nice things!

(Incidentally I still haven't voted in different unit designs I take my damn time, I don't spammy spammy clicky clicky)
    christer1966 likes this.
  4. christer1966

christer1966 Member

I swear I clicked the yes button, but it is quite late here and I am tired from exams and assignments so I may have been wrong. Whatever, still think it is a good idea.
  5. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

I was just joking man, no worries ;) !
    christer1966 likes this.
  6. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

yea orbital transports have been discussed a lot in the past
    not sure bout the implementation
    personaly i rather want seperate groundtrooptransports and aircraftcarriers for orbital
  7. blightedmythos

blightedmythos Active Member

Every time someone has a cool suggestion it is always followed up by "Uber said the engine doesn't support it." So far we can't have large expiramentals because of the engine or large ships (pathing issues), and now multi unit carriers. I am starting to think this engine was a bad choice for this genre.

That being said I'd rather have an aircraft carrier sub or something. But I am not aginist more orbital units.
  8. MrTBSC

this has nothing to do with the engine particularly .. but what do you know ...
    ask yourself the question why does supcom 2 not have the tranports supcom 1 has ... because it is very difficult to fuse and defuse multiple units into one .. as you may realise we have transports already just that they are single unit ... along with those we have the unitcannon ... however that one works differently than the transports of PA and supcom FA do ... also name me 3 other rtsĀ“s where you have multiunittransports that work like those in FA where you can see transports having to land to pick up and release the units and seeing which units are tranported instead of just disapperaing inside them ...
    Last edited: March 22, 2015
  9. verybad

verybad Active Member

Would be nice, but yeah, multiple unit carriers of various types have been discussed before. Please note, I didn't vote no, I would love fore them to fix this problem.
  10. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

I'm just going to say no out the gate. Sorry. If we are going to have some form of interplanetary transport, it really needs to differentiate itself from the Unit Cannon or Teleporter without rendering itself or the others useless.
    dmorchard and igncom1 like this.
  11. MrTBSC

it would be a multiunitversion of the austreus plain and simple ... the difference would be simply the tranport itself is mobile and as such more flexible than the unitcannon with the downside that itself has to go to enemy territory
    the unitcannon does not need to but is super expensive, needs to build its own units aswell as having limited capacity between launches and can send units only once to a landingzone ... those units have then no means of getting to another planet or return to the baseplanet without a teleporter or transport ...
    where the transport would be able to just carry units of standart and advanced factories including vanguards shellers and bluehawks etc. anywhere at any time multiple times ... its limit is its capacity and traveltime to its destination ...

the teleport always needs an exit and is as such limited to only one landing zone at a point that can be destroyed and render the teleport useless the advantage is instastravel of groundunits without no real limit but just the rate of how many units get through the teleporter at a time ... so the differentiation is already there ...
    Last edited: March 22, 2015
  12. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Dude, it's a multi-unit transport.

That's already out the window. Why are we even discussing it? Until Uber comes forward and says they are working on MU transports, why discuss them?
  13. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

This forum really does need a suggestion section we can stick all these in.
  14. jamesw100

jamesw100 Member

The theme of the game is lots of small units, so I vote no. Bigger units are just going to make the planets look even smaller.
  15. MrTBSC

what else is a carrier than a multiunittransport?weither it is a groundunittransport or aircrafttransport doesn't matter ..
    we have interplanetary transports already just that they are single unit ...
    if it isn't worth to discuss it then there is no reason to just say "no" either ... otherwise why are you here?
    i also explained to you how it would be different to the unitcannon and teleporter without rendering those or being rendered itself useless ..
    Last edited: March 23, 2015
  16. jamesw100

jamesw100 Member

Changed my mind. I think it would be cool.
  17. jamesw100

jamesw100 Member

But make it 6 units. 30 is massive. That's two and a half unit cannons.
  18. jamesw100

jamesw100 Member

And make it an interplanetary air unit, not an orbital unit.
  19. pieman2906

pieman2906 Well-Known Member

Alternatively, have the assault carrier be basically a mobile teleporter.
  20. MrTBSC

absolutely not