PTE build 79538-pte

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by jables, March 18, 2015.

1. lostmekka

lostmekka Member

so... what exactly is the nav crash?
  2. davostheblack

davostheblack Well-Known Member

the no-fire issue still occurs, frequently.
  3. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

had a skirmish against ai where the game doesn't remember idle factories or fabbers after loading

while playing movechaining doesn't work well as after chaining a attack command after a move command units just seemed to go into formation and stop there instead of attacking afterwards ...
    Last edited: March 19, 2015
  4. ochranindustries

ochranindustries New Member

(believe this happened to me, reported in another thread)

Select a whole bunch of units. Tell them to move to a place. Server crashes.
  5. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

I think I have run into a weird bug with spectator mode.

I started a single player skirmish, placed myself into spectator mode, added 5 AIs and started the game. I was instantly locked in the summary screen after the loading screen. I could switch between tabular and graph layout, but the close button didn't work. The graph would show that the simulation was running properly, but the tabular layout remained empty.

In the loading screen, AI names and colors were shown properly. The colors in the graph matched the colors shown in the lobby and in the loading screen.

The lines in the graph were colored properly, but the AI names and the colors on the left hand were messed up:

EDIT: I could replicate it multiple times. The sequence is"loading screen" -> "Generating planets" -> "locked into summary screen". No mods activated.

EDIT2: No lobby ID shown in the performance panel....

EDIT3: Also does happen when I'm not spectator but regular player. I get to the summary screen instantly.

EDIT4: Different AI count or different system didn't help. Same outcome. The AI is still happily playing and the sim is running.

EDIT5: And reconnect only gets me to the summary screen as well.

EDIT6: It happens both on local AND on Uber server.

EDIT7: Not even wiping the localstore did help. And nothing suspicious in the logs either.

EDIT8: I'm now having this issue both in stable AND PTE, even though I even wiped %appdata%\Local\Uber Entertainment, so nothing should have prevailed oO
    And it's not related to the language setting either *sigh*

EDIT9: Full reinstall of the game solved it. There appears to have been some clutter from an old version of PA.

Attached Files:

Last edited: March 19, 2015
  6. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

Haven't been able to get a single repro of this, so more detail would be helpful. Also, making sure all mods are turned of would help as well.
  7. andrehsu

andrehsu Active Member

An example is an inferno driving through a enemy factory on a move command. Previously it would attack factories in its move path if the target is within range. But now they just drive through unless you issue area attack command.
  8. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

Just tried to repro this and it worked fine. The inferno attacked the factory while on the move, unless a unit rolled off in which case it attacked the unit. Once the unit died, if the inferno was still in range, it started attacking the factory again while continuing on it's way.

So, either there is something missing in the repro, you have a mod enabled that is messing with that, or you had the unit on hold fire.
    ArchieBuld likes this.
  9. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

I'll see if I can get a repro. I had it with no mods on btw.

It happens sometimes. Thats what I know. Inferno's work good as soon as they come in close. As soon as it happens it most of the time stays that way
  10. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

Ok, after looking at the code a bit and running it through my head I was able to generate a 100% repro case. Working on a fix now.
  11. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

out of curiosity: what was happening?
  12. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

Amazing stuff Sorian. Really good.
  13. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

The repro case is if there is a higher priority target nearby, but not necessarily in firing range, the unit will focus on that target, ignoring any other lower priority targets it is actually in range to shoot.
    proeleert, stuart98, DarkGift and 6 others like this.
  14. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

that makes sense with the observation "units refuse to shoot structures". Maybe it also interacts with incomplete units inside of a factory?

EDIT: no doesnt seem to be the case
  15. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

Nope, my test this morning confirmed that to not be the case. However, if you are attacking a factory on one side as a unit rolls off the other, the unit (depending on its range) would probably stop firing.
    ArchieBuld and Quitch like this.
  16. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

@sorian The neural net appears to be very reluctant about bringing Infernos into weapon range now. It's trying to kite with the entire platoon, making Infernos almost useless. Even if only Infernos are left. There only needs to be a single enemy Inferno in proximity, and the AI will refuse to bring its own Infernos in and let himself be picked of by enemy grenadiers.

Also seen it pairing subs with Orcas, whereby the platoon would only advance until the Orca was in weapon range, but not until the sub could attack as well.

Would be interesting to know what new inputs the neural net now has ;)

PS:
    I don't think Infernos should be part of any mixed platoon during training. The kiting pattern just doesn't apply to them, but the AI is forced into using it as mixed platoons will otherwise loose any other unit.

And I think there might be a slight conceptual problem with Infernos and the micro management as well. They are unable to execute commands at the rate at which the AI issues them, at least not without missing out on every single chance to attack. I think they are missing some type of feedback loop of the form:
    • Inputs which tell them that they are already executing either an attack or an movement order, weighted by remaining distance to target
    • Input which tells how much time since last non-NOP command has passed
    • Input which tells which ratio of the possible damage output of the current platoon is in range
    • NOP output (respectively a "Stick on current target" command)
    PPS:
    The AI got much better at naval, especially at using the superior range against land targets :)
  17. doomrater

doomrater Active Member

Infernos should really be treated like either moving walls or berserker units by the AI.

Also, glad to hear performance issues are being addressed with planet patrol, because I happen to love using a bot factory on planet patrol as part of my opening game. Basically anyone who tries to build metal without protecting their spots properly gets cut down by this move, and it's a zero micro move that can leave you with a harassment force in a pinch.
  18. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

1) Naval does not have a neural network.
    2) The odd training was likely caused by the weapon bug I just fixed, whereby infernos probably failed to attack things properly and just died during exchanges. Retraining should fix the issue now that the bug is fixed.
    cdrkf and Remy561 like this.
  19. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

I just notice another bug in live build today, but I'm not sure how it occurred: Me and my ally somehow managed to build 2 T1 mex (each one belonging to different player).
  20. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Oh yeah, that's a pretty neat one: PA#4351

It occurs when a broken mex is on top of the mex spot. Both fabbers will start reclaiming it. When the wreckage is gone, both fabbers will start building the mex at the exact same time. Seems to be a race condition.

Pretty colours though:
    [​IMG]