I hate lag switches!

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat 360 General Discussion' started by Bonecrusher, December 26, 2010.

1. heavensnight

heavensnight Member

sounds like whats happening with the quake arena arcade,as if that they set the threshold to where even when a slight bit of lag enters u get disconnected..cuz that game has disconnects everywhere.

so it sounds like until gaming lans pop up all over like starbucks to play in person off the global net it is up to the community not to be d-bags and play fair cuz there still is no fix.
  2. TG GHOSTMERC

TG GHOSTMERC New Member

the real fix is dedicated servers with anti cheat software running in the background. this is done for some pc games.
  3. Cheesecakecrush

Cheesecakecrush New Member

Dedicated servers mean either someone has to PAY for them, or not play themselves.

Not going to be practical for rather low population games.
  4. CStubing

CStubing New Member

No, it doesn't mean you are disconnected from the internet. People can put a lag switch at any point in their network between their external interface (cable/dsl modem, or whatever else) and their xbox.

Also, apart from the physical network link at the xbox itself, it has no way to know that it's been cut off from the outside intentionally, or just due to a legitimately slow connection.
  5. StarPilot87

StarPilot87 New Member

Yup. Many EA games run on dedicated servers, but when EA isn't profiting from some older games, the online support for them is cut off and used for newer games. This mostly applies to consoles though, since many PC games that have dedicated servers allow for 3rd party servers, ie. servers funded by players.
  6. TG GHOSTMERC

TG GHOSTMERC New Member

you know i would rather xbox live be free and developers charge us for dedicated servers. but thats not gonna happen anytime soon.
  7. heavensnight

heavensnight Member

@ TG GHOSTMERC

i wish it was like that , also i would not mind one bit setting up a dedicated from my box whenever i go to work/sleep
  8. TG GHOSTMERC

TG GHOSTMERC New Member

using your consoles as a dedicated server is not even close to being as good as dedicated servers. there actually is a game on 360 that did that. can't think of the name at the moment though.
  9. Trogdor2012

Trogdor2012 New Member

I had a suspicion that there were people who forced lag but didn't know that it was possible because there are some games where the lag seems to come in at the perfect moment then it's gone unlike a regular laggy host. It really makes me sad that people are really doing this. What is the point? What you get an extra thousand or so virtual in game dollars per match to raise your level and pad a stat (k/d) that serious players don't care about? I don't like being on either side of a squash match. Good games to me are the close ones and a personally successful game for me is not when I rack up the kills but when I know I did something to turn the tide on those close games that helped cause the win. Where is the real sense of accomplishment when you cheat? It's not like these people are real hackers they are just lowlife script kiddies who desperately need a hug from their parents.
  10. PohTayToez

PohTayToez New Member

Go play some high rollers matches on Black Ops and tell me that lag switches don't exist.

Like someone previously mentioned, one method is done simply by using a program to hog all of your bandwidth, so there is no loss of connection. As for the method of using an actually hardware switch to create lag, I'm not sure of the intricacies of it, but it might have someone to do with interrupting data flow while still maintaining connection.
  11. CStubing

CStubing New Member

If you really want to know, go read up on sockets, stateful connections (e.g. TCP/IP), and realtime application development. The truth is out there, Scully.
  12. Organous

Organous Member

I have only encountered one person on MNC who definitively was using a lag switch. I remember he was using a Tank and the overall connection was generally perfect. The only time it ever lagged was right around the time that one person was getting a kill. It's too bad I don't remember his name, but I absolutely reported him for cheating. I don't care what people think about the complaint system. It's the only power I have and I will use it.
  13. Undertaker4uplr

Undertaker4uplr New Member

I can see people using an internal glitch to get ahead. But anyone who needs an external device to cheat at a "game" needs to really get a life. There must be no success in your real life, so you cheat at a video game to feel superior. Its the WOW affect I guess.
  14. destructamental

destructamental New Member

I can't play it without hacks. Gotta play to win, dawg. :lol:
  15. destructamental

destructamental New Member

[​IMG]