Galactic War and Multi-Hour Games

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by stuart98, March 17, 2015.

1. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

So...

The reason why saves have been needed so desperately by new players is because of the Galactic War.

And specifically, early meta-game multi-planet multi-commander games prior to your unlocking the orbital fabber.

These things drag on for hours.

And hours.

And hours.

Adding in saves is a band-aid solution. While they are needed, they are merely treating a symptom of the issue while the problem goes un-resolved.

There absolutely NEEDS to be a way to make it so that these galactic war games go an hour, tops. That may be increasing the starting technology so that you have orbital fabbers + teleporters from the very start. That may be better system design so that these stalemates don't ever occur. That may be allowing players to build halleys/catalysts with T1 fabbers in the Galactic War regardless of tech level. In any case, SOMETHING needs to be done so that this nonsense doesn't happen.
    tatsujb likes this.
  2. iacondios

iacondios Active Member

Hm, I've played several galactic war games and not run into this problem yet. I guess I just got lucky and got orbital tech before the multi-planet battles? That could be another solution.
  3. infuscoletum

infuscoletum Active Member

Dude, with the maps I'd love to see implemented in gw, hours don't do it justice.

If we could have custom maps and map pools in gw, I might actually have to learn to mod just to increase the current limits of the system designer o_O
  4. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

i am still for a rpglike procedial technology unlocksystem than scavanging or maybe have scavanging as extra but techunlock as main ... simply something what may allow for experimentation but is more consistent
  5. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

HOLY ******* ****

I played some galactic war on absurd but that was just toooo insane for me. 2 AI's and I got raped pretty ffing hard so I switched back to relentless and its still really hard when you're facing 2 AI's ( one fight took me 4 to 5 attempts). @sorian Is the AI in galactic war harder or does it get an eco boost or anything on absurd? If not then you've truly done an amaaaaaazziiinnnng job there. Relentless is kinda relentless :p
  6. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/who-wants-to-reboot-galactic-war.68139
  7. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

I think the absurd AI gets an eco boost, and the relentless AI is the base level (AI skirmish absurd)

could be wrong about that though.

Either way, the AI is spooky sometimes.
    Alpha2546 likes this.
  8. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Yeah, it does in GW. You can tell by rewinding the ChronoCam to the beginning of the match and look at the metal/energy income. In my second match I was up against two enemy comms, one of which had 3.0x the income. Needless to say, I didn't win. Though I did kill the one with only 1.0x income!
    Alpha2546 likes this.
  9. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

Yah I can't see the eco difference because of this bug with the chronocam metal income. Gonna check if this is without mods too. Thanks for letting me know though. The only way i could win was build my base in the water en take out there expanding fabbers and slowly expanding on the land with an army and some fabbers in the mix.
  10. blightedmythos

blightedmythos Active Member

I've played gw many many times and I've never seen just two commanders. I've see 6. But never two. How rare are those missioons?
    Alpha2546 likes this.
  11. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

Being able to save is an integral part of any game, especially traditional RTS's like planetary annihilation. Even if GW wasnt a problem (which it very much is) saves are still greatly needed.

Also i dont think Galactic War was ever updated since its first release in the beta
    websterx01 likes this.
  12. blightedmythos

blightedmythos Active Member

4 hour games is probably not good gameplay to begin with. They should fix the root of the problem instead of band-aid. Everyone starting with t1 would fix that.
  13. doctormod

doctormod New Member

Had my first multiplanet game. Each planet had a few metal spots. Enemy guy had enough orbital to construct Anchors and Avengers...I can only make Astraeus. My original plan was a swarm of oh...Eighty Astraeus to plop down 30 Spinners 20 Bolos and a good number of engineers...Then I found a new device a most wonderful invention...Unit cannon. no need to wait for the astraeus Just keep firing off Builders and AA and Dox..I got a teleporter up and then my victory was assured. I was worried for a good 10 minutes when I saw the Nuke going up. built a few anti Nukes and umbrellas everywhere to kill intel chances...didn't need him nuking my commander or my main base. GW makes you think when it's no longer one planet commander on commander.
  14. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Four hour gamws would be amazing!

Anyway what do you mean everyone starting with t1? O . o
  15. doctormod

doctormod New Member

Everyone gets basic t1 tech. So for Orbital you'd have avengers and orbital fabricators.

It's kind of hard to stop ARKYD's and Astraeus with out any Avengers...was annoying putting Umbrella's all over planet.
  16. benc85

benc85 New Member

An umbrella covering each metal spot kills EVERY transport they send, and once you've done that they'll rarely get an orbital fabber through to start building anchors...

Then its just a matter of building 6 slightly overlapping anti-nukes around your main base, and you're set for an infinite grind :D
  17. doctormod

doctormod New Member

I started building them but I think it was too late. they got a teleporter on my world I had like six fac pumping out Bolos to send at it. I ended up getting annoyed and rage quitting out of GW.