[POLL] Paid Add-on DLC

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by killerkiwijuice, February 24, 2015.

?

Would you buy a DLC for PA?

1. yes

80 vote(s)
    55.9%
  2. no

48 vote(s)
    33.6%
  3. depends on date of release

15 vote(s)
    10.5%
  1. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Nope, we're saying yes to a major expansion pack.

I seriously don't understand people hating on DLC.
    cmdandy and Remy561 like this.
  2. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Honestly, depends what kind of DLC it is.
    If it adds in some sort of singleplayer campaign or something, sure. But adding in an entire new bunch of units, faction or even mechanic I intensely disagree with.

Dividing your player base is not a good thing to do. Ever.
    Especially in a game focused on competitive play.
  3. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

considering the early developmenthistory of this game you may well know the reaction of the general audience ... this poll here is by no means represantative of what the average rts gamer might think about dlc for PA ...
    i would rather imagine the consensus
    would go likely torwards to uber pollishing up pa to a acceptable state ...
    as said PA has a number of buildingsites that need to be done
    namely galactic war being fun and consistent ... saving being functional ... explayning itself well with a good tutorial ... and orbital beeing as fluid and controllable as neccesary as it is this games most important layer for multiplanetgames ... among other but comparibly minor things ...

the first thing people need to see is that PA is good on its own already and not that it requiers dlc to be good ...
    dlc/expansions should only add stuff like modes or factions f.e. that add variety but are not neccesary to enjoy the coregame or fix it ...
    doud and Zaphys like this.
  4. maxcomander

maxcomander Active Member

Pa is good on it's own, it's awesome. If people havn't clocked that by now then they never will inmho. All I'm trying to say is that for me is that I want uber to do something new in the "Epic scale rts" genre be it a new game or new expantion.

Tbh I see fixing galactic war as an epic waist of money, but then I never played any single player rts story modes. It's skirmish or online all the way for me.
  5. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

6. nateious

nateious Active Member

DLC? Nope.

Expansion packs? Yep.
  7. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

That's the same thing.
  8. squishypon3

Exactly the same ******* thing.... urrrrgh...

You download an expansion- I just... I'm done, man.. xD
  9. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

They are the same, but it is like saying "Hostile Military Action" and "Agressive International Negotiation". One sounds better.

Expansion pack sounds retro. Yuri's Revenge and Firestorm were Expansion Packs. DLC is modern and gets stupid. Map packs for Call of Duty is DLC.
    duncane likes this.
  10. nateious

nateious Active Member

Technically yes, but in common use no. The term DLC is a new(er) term which is not typically used to describe full on expansion packs which have been around for ages. It's a difference in scope and size.
    Last edited: March 4, 2015
  11. nateious

nateious Active Member

Not really. Just like people don't call mods DLC (even though they are content that is downloadable) expansion packs are not really the same thing. DLC more often is used to refer to smaller additions of content. A map pack, new characters, a hat, etc. An expansion pack is a full fledged addition that is similar in size to the original game.
  12. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Depends on the content.

Expansion with a new alien race with a different playstyle? Hell yes. Although that runs a risk of fragmenting the community if done improperly.

A new skin pack? Nope.

DLC is a dangerous thing. It can fragment and kill a community/game, or it take a game to the next level and give it an incredible reputation.
    cmdandy likes this.
  13. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

Afraid I voted no because this game had an Insanely amount of potential, with none of it really realized. It's such a shame of what this game could have become that at this point, charging the amount they do for Commander skins is absurd to me never lone anything else or anything in the way of an expansion at this point. (only my opinion)
  14. squishypon3

Maybe commander skin costs don't seem too absurd when they often sell the game for much less than its worth. (And in fact there have been times where the commanders have cost- more than the game.)

Similar to how consoles are cheap, but games for consoles are expensive.
  15. calmesepai

calmesepai Member

For the DLC to be accepted call it an expansion or addition to be more accepted by people who hates DLC.

Make it so you don't split the multiplayer community division between who have and have not in a small player base would not be a good thing.

Not be some thing promised in the kickstarter eg single player campaign, new faction with diffrent set of units etc.

Personally I would be leaning towards single player campain (with co-op/shared army)add a story that goes beyond machines waking up make a quest for lost tech or a search for the makers what ever be creative.
  16. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

Thats a good point.... still not going to delve into that though personally... i spent over 100$ on buying the game for me and 2 friends.... more than enough spent on this game... DLCs just milk this game for everything its worth and still feel this game is far from complete to start talking about dlcs and expansion packs...
  17. maxcomander

maxcomander Active Member

The reason I don't like sp campains is that dev's always seem to want to give you a small unit pool to start then the "story" envolves unlocking the rest of your army. I don't like this approach at all for some reason.

Or maybe Dlc helps developer's continue to update the game, and prevent them from having to abandon the game due to not being able pay there staff....

Comander skins allow those of us who have realised the "reality's" of game development to continue to support uber, whilst not giving us an advantage over those who can't afford to.

If you can think of a fairer way to do this I'd be Impressed. ;)
  18. bluestrike01

bluestrike01 Active Member