PTE build 79270-pte now up

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by jables, February 16, 2015.

1. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

It means that you have to finish construction of the wall. If you don't it basically self-destructs after 0.5 seconds.
  2. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

The rate of decay after you stop constructing a structure before it completes. For walls, you could previously throw up a bunch of half-done walls and they would count as half a wall. Now they disappear almost instantly.
    ArchieBuld likes this.
  3. pieman2906

pieman2906 Well-Known Member

I reackon a more elegant solution if you wanted that end result would simply be to have the Jigs act as 'control nodes' to each other, like a proximity bonus, which rewards you for building jigs close together, and causes a fall-off in income the further apart they are.

(not saying I 100% back this idea, just that if you wanted to go down the path you're proposing, that would likely be a better way to do it.)
    mered4 likes this.
  4. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

wtf is an "Atrophy Cooldown"
    edit: nvm I'm blind, carry on
  5. doomrater

doomrater Active Member

It's really cool that walls decay at a super fast rate if you stop building them. They should, after all they're barely any metal to begin with!
  6. wondible

wondible Post Master General

I've never liked the atrophy mechanic. I'm tempted to make a mod, but I'm not sure it's a big enough impact to justify a server mod.
  7. mered4

I think it's needed for certain things, like walls and turrets. Other than that, I think it should be removed. It's really annoying to have a t2 fac just disappear because I forgot to leave ONE engineer on the factory while build emergency PD or something.
  8. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Does the mechanic put spent energy and metal back into storage when they decay?

If It does, then I still kind alike it, but otherwise, I don't.
  9. mered4

Oh hell no. You lose all of it LOL.
  10. igncom1

[​IMG]
    That just isn't right.
    Remy561, stuart98 and mered4 like this.
  11. planktum

planktum Post Master General

I like the atrophy mechanic. Why do people always hate everything in this game which makes things harder. Sometimes I think people would just prefer to have everything controlled by AI, e.g. factories auto building when you have excess energy etc. It's not that hard to keep one fabber remaining on the building to keep it from atrophying. Seriously guys.
  12. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Also that's a fun part about sniping the fabber that's making the building with a single Dox or bomber for example. Your opponent needs to rush in to with more fabbers pronto, just to save all of the resources he/she already put into that building. Tick-tock!
  13. mered4

It's a different mechanic than its predecessors. A lot of us have played those, and we liked that some buildings would just sit there while we built up power and such.
    It helped us learn the economy by not punishing us super hard for a mistake, beyond falling behind our enemy.
  14. igncom1

That, or at least said buildings would un-build when left alone and would give you at least some of your money back, helping you if you just qued up a bunch of stuff accidentally.

And to be fair, I actually like Sins of a Solar Empire and it's auto managing ways.
  15. mered4

Tbh, the game should slowly focus on automating large production lines as time goes on, that way the late game isn't so tedious. It's fine as it is, I would think, but we're both veterans who have a decent grasp on how to play. :D
    igncom1 likes this.
  16. igncom1

I can micro every now and then...

But I still don't use hotkeys, never been a fan of them personally.
  17. mered4

HERESY.

But I digress. Hotkeys are love. Hotkeys are life.
    igncom1 likes this.
  18. MadGreyOne

MadGreyOne Member

I have always wanted to have a "helper" AI for players in RTS games, so that instead of getting a group of dox, tanks, and spinners, by finding idle factories, queueing the units, making a control group, and moving the units where I want, I could just drop a flag that says I want 25 dox, 15 bolos, and 5 spinners in this location and an ai process take care of the details.

Of course, I like real time strategy and I know many people prefer real time micro clickfests instead.
    galaxyisos and doud like this.
  19. planktum

planktum Post Master General

You think PA is a real time micro clickfest? I think what you are proposing is a Real-Time Turn-Based Hybrid Strategy Game (that name doesn't really make sense but maybe you know what I'm getting at). That could be an interesting new genre but it's not really what PA is about.

Actually now that I think about it, the Wargame series works very much that way. Maybe their upcoming game Act of Agression will be more suited to your playstyle.
    Last edited: March 6, 2015
  20. arm2thecore

arm2thecore Active Member

I've had the exact same idea for a game I never did write. It would be awesome to have the ability to "communicate with" PA in this fashion.