Allied teleporters should be able to be linked

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tesseracta, February 26, 2015.

1. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

I'm gonna stop you right there.

No.

no you can't.

because see player that spawned all on his lonesome in the middle of all you guys choose that strategy.

And not only does it imply that he is better than you, but that itself implies that he will use his head and ask for his teammate to set up gates between the two planets and haul *** outta there OR he'll just ghet a transport and do the same OR with that gate he'll get reinforcements from the other planet where the other teammate was free to build more resources than all the rest of the players combined and dominate with the number of troops he sends trough the gate and UCs.
  2. EdWood

EdWood Active Member

I agree, sharing teleporters changes the game a lot... I would like that as an option or mod, otherwise no.

I totally agree Planktum.
    Planktum likes this.
  3. EdWood

EdWood Active Member

No one sees the spawn of the enemy player, so how did he"choose" to spawn there, that does not make sense. That is pure coincidence.
    Planktum likes this.
  4. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

Good luck with that!!!!

Even though I disagree with what you are saying ("that he is better than you" and "OR he'll just get a transport and do the same"). What you are saying is that good players don't need the allied teleporter linking mechanic, but you want this implemented into the game so that you can support noob team mates.
    Last edited: March 5, 2015
  5. Bgrmystr2

Bgrmystr2 Active Member

Technically, you're not controlling their teleporter at all if both you and the owner of the other end both have to link it.

If I have a teleporter in an allied game and link it to someone else, they should have to link their teleporter to mine in order to complete the connection. If they want to cut it off, they can, at any time, to connect to a different one or turn it off completely. You control nothing. You're only half of the equation and cannot force the other half to do as you please. Don't get ahead of yourself, sir.

Also, inferior and superior strategies do not revolve around teleporters. They can't, there's a large amount of options that denote otherwise. Do you really think teleporters are always the superior strategy? Keep in mind that they have not always been in PA, and orbital games have been played for a very long time without them. You can see lots of orbital games even now where the teleporter was used yet wasn't the game changing moment. You can also find moments where the teleporter defined the flow of the game entirely, and that's a part of the strategy, not the entire thing.

That said, team games are about working together, you know, as a team. You need to be a team player to effectively play a team game, and allied games are made entirely of these. If you don't like the idea of allied teleporters opening doors to new strategems instead of closing doors and limiting the viable options, then maybe allied games isn't something you should be interested in.

The scenario you gave of one team spawning on a single planet vs the other team splitting up is definitely lop-sided. The split-up players have multiple planets the enemy has to crack, and in strategic standpoint, the multi-planet start is always the better strategy. It's not up for debate either, since there's simply way more viable options open to the multi-planet team than then single-planet team. That's the entire structure of a superior strategy. Having more viable options and more options in general is what defines the entirety of strategic superiority.

The superior strategy of multi-planet spawn isn't game-changing as either team can win. Teleporters cannot change this, as the superior strategy has already been decided before the game began, before teleporters were even put in the scenario. Superior strategy does not not equate to guaranteed win, and it never will. I believe you're thinking strategy in too small of terms to equate to how large and generalistic it really is.
    tatsujb likes this.
  6. tatsujb

no it isn't you coordinate with your ally players.
  7. Planktum

If you want to share teleporters then go play played "shared armies". Because essentially your arguments could be extended to many different areas of the game, i.e. sharing energy, etc. Maybe my ally is terrible with their economy and I want to share my excess eco with them. If you want these things then play shared armies.

And if you really believe this ("maybe allied games isn't something you should be interested in") then maybe you should see how you go against me and my team mates. I only ever play team matches.
  8. Planktum

How is coordination with their allies going to allow them to spawn intentionally "all on his lonesome in the middle of all you guys choose" if he can't see where you are spawning? Your logic is flawed.
  9. tatsujb

oh i thought he was talking about spawning separately from your allies....

i don't care about the rest. why would I care how the others spawn, whether or not they all span on one planet or wherever is independent to the success of the spawning separately strategy.

you're the one who said that if the enemies all spawned on one of your teamates that would be the disadvantage of that strategy, I was bouncing of that.

I dunno wth @edwood was bouncing off of.

you two wanna disagree with me but you guys aren't coordinating together, get your act together, that's terrible teamplay your displaying there x'D
    Bgrmystr2 likes this.
  10. Bgrmystr2

Bgrmystr2 Active Member

No, see that's the problem. Armies =/= Economy. They are not the same thing. If you haven't played Supreme Commander or Total Annihilation, you may be new to the idea that team armies can turn on and off share economy. (TA had manual share, I believe)

You seem to think that team games do not actually require team work. That's unfortunate. You don't seem to want to share your economy with your teammates unless you're sharing your army as well. You also don't want to allow teammates access to teleporting units into your base if you really need them for some reason. You also demand that they build their own teleporter in your base if they want to help you which also takes up room enough for an extra factory. God forbid if I had to have you as a teammate haha.

I work with people who are not only willing to support me when I need it most, but require little of my patience as possible. You're free to claim that team games that have the option to break off is something we want to turn off shared economy and teleporters, and/or have it as an option, by default off, and I would totally agree with this. Team games that do not change are different, and should be treated different. Something to think about.
  11. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

You do know that in alliance mode you *do share excess resources to allies* :p

Allowing linking to allied gates makes perfect sense to me. It allows the true co-ordination afforded by shared mode, without the inherent downsides when your playing with someone who you either don't know or otherwise can't properly co-ordinate with via voice chat.
    Bgrmystr2 likes this.
  12. Planktum

He WAS talking about spawning separately from your allies. We are completely coordinated in our argument.
  13. Planktum

"God forbid if I had to have you as a teammate haha."
    Challenge accepted. Best of 5 (2 game lead required).
    You decide 2v2, 3v3, 4v4 or 5v5

Whoever loses has to then agree with the others view on shared teleporters.
  14. cdrkf

Lol... hmm I'm tempted to get in on this, I might bring a few 'friends' with me for my team too...

Edit: unfortunately I can't play it right now, just realised the time and I'm up at 6 am tomorrow for work :p
  15. Planktum

Okay let's get this straight...

Are we talking about Team Armies or FFA with alliances?
  16. cdrkf

Maybe I've got this wrong. I would like the ability in Team Alliance mode (not shared) to link to my allies gate.

I'm not certain how / if this should be added to FFA with dynamic alliances. If your advocating that you need the choice to disable this ability in the latter, then I fully agree...
  17. Planktum

I can't play right now either. We'd have to "coordinate" (not sure if EdWood and I can do that, LOL) a suitable time for everyone. I'm GMT+13
  18. cdrkf

Ah, I'm GMT time zone. That time difference means one in the morning, one afternoon would work ok. I could potentially be about one weekend (though probably not this week, too much going on).
  19. Planktum

Sorry, but if you are talking about TeamArmies, the excess resources are not shared. I'm confused about whether you are talking about TeamArmies or Alliances. They are totally different things and I've never actually heard about sharing excess resources unless you are playing Shared Armies.
  20. cdrkf

The game shares resources between teams in team armies (non shared), but *only excess*.

So if you have an ally energy stalling for example, allowing your energy to max will feed any unused to them. That's been in the game since Beta (I'd have to dig a long way back to get you the specifics).

@cwarner7264 back me up on this one, I'm *certain* that's been in the game since forever, or did they remove it at some point?