PTE build 79270-pte now up

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by jables, February 16, 2015.

1. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

This, balancing around a UI limitation is not going to work and isn't really what PA is about either I think.
  2. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

If you modded it, it would be a server mod, and everyone in the game would experience it.
  3. mayhemster

mayhemster Well-Known Member

you can mod building spacing clientside
    stuart98 and Planktum like this.
  4. emraldis

Oh? Isn't it in the unit files?
  5. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

It is, but the area_<thingies>_build_<something> are read by the client. I forget what it's called exactly. You can make all sorts of fancy patterns.
  6. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

No it's NOT a server mod. There already is a UI mod which changes the area build distance for jigs. And as you have now proven, people don't know about this mod. So you are automatically at a disadvantage.
    Last edited: March 5, 2015
    stuart98 likes this.
  7. Planktum

Can you please explain to me why you think my "Jig Control Module" idea would not work?
  8. emraldis

huh, interesting.
  9. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

10. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

You can also use it to build mines in custom formation (e.g. lines instead of massive fields, or decrease / increase spacing), to change storage construction from useless circle to line mode, to increase spacing between pgen and factories so units can pass through properly, and a bunch of other little tweaks were the stock settings are just plain stupid (sorry I have to say that).

And the server can't do ANYTHING about it, since in most cases, the unit files don't make proper use of the building footprint which could otherwise be used to enforce (server side) at least a minimum spacing which goes beyond the collision box.

There are actually a few more (simple) client modifications like this which make life a lot easier (such as "turn off when energy is low" energy setting for factories), and even a few true exploits which allow more advanced stuff, like turning strategic icons on for all units even if you just have radar on them.

However, there's also stuff you can't change (unfortunately), such as default target priorities. I just wish so much, that one day the neural net the AI uses for target selection (at least a modified variant which excludes the maneuver options) will also be used for player controlled units, since that thing acts so much smarter than any fixed priority list ever could...
    Last edited: March 5, 2015
    stuart98 likes this.
  11. doomrater

doomrater Active Member

Uhhhh I can't assist factories with my commander anymore?
  12. jables

jables Uber Employee

Will be fixed next build. Good catch.
    Remy561 and mjshorty like this.
  13. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

My fault, sorry. Got all the engineer build arms, but missed the commander ones.
    crizmess, Remy561, cdrkf and 6 others like this.
  14. takfloyd

takfloyd Active Member

Maybe we could hear from the Uber team whether the Jig explosion deal is a stopgap fix until orbital warfare gets expanded, or intended as the final balance measure for gas planets?

I mean, we can all agree that it's much better right now than before Jigs exploded, when gas giants were an instant win to whoever got a foothold on them. But it's not exactly elegant.

I still think an anti-gas planet weapon would be a good idea. A super weapon that is launched from a terrestrial planet to the gas planet, ignites the gas and scorches a vast area.
    stuart98 likes this.
  15. Planktum

I've already suggested a Jig Control Module which all Jigs would need to be attached to. You can either take out the Jigs individually (without causing a chain reaction) or go for the heart (Control Module) which sets off a chain reaction.

You say "it's much better right now than before Jigs exploded". How so? I just use the mod which spaces out the Jigs further so when you attacked my Jigs there is no chain reaction. People who don't use this mod are at a disadvantage.

And to be honest the Gas Giants aren't an instant win because Jigs are expensive and any one who's any good knows that you can take out someone's Jig field pretty easy. Of course if you just leave someone alone on the Gas Giant without harassing them then of course they will get a big lead.
  16. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

adding scissors to the current rock and paper of orbital would really help, something to take out anchors.

Whether this be a long range low ROF missile frigate or cheap suicide bombers or whatever doesn't really matter. The issue with gas giants right now is you can build anchors around your jigs easily enough and requires a lot to crack it with avengers.
  17. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Are we being trolled?

Am I living out a strange dream?

I am thoroughly confused. I thought we'd established the Jig explosion was not a good solution to the problem and it was killing gameplay.

I'd also like to point out that the only positive side is the decrease in Avenger spam due to no one having a Gas Giant base.

The downside is the gas giant is worthless in a match where both teams have a similar skill level with the orbital layer.
    emraldis and stuart98 like this.
  18. Planktum

It's not hard to stop someone building up on the Gas Giant.
  19. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

It's pathetically easy.

Build a jig on the gas giant next to the enemy, and it will explode while under construction.
    Or, drop four avengers to practically instakill one jig, which ignites both the defensive structures and adjacent jigs.
  20. andrehsu

andrehsu Active Member

Whats "Atrophy Cooldown"