Ashes of the Singularity

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by cwarner7264, March 5, 2015.

1. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/03/04/stardock-reveals-new-rts-powered-by-oxide-games-nitrous-engine

Nope, never ever seen a game with a bigger scale than this and with physics calculations on projectiles.

Game looks interesting, but that quote made me chuckle, especially given that it's from Stardock, who given their past you'd think would know better.
    stuart98, tatsujb, Nicb1 and 2 others like this.
  2. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Oh yeah. Got a newsletter sitting in my inbox about this. Also another one called Servo.
  3. cwarner7264

And this is dancing fresh on what appears to be the early grave of Grey Goo, too.
    xankar and tatsujb like this.
  4. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Well if they really feature thousands of units on the same screen in normal matches that will be more than PA has in normal matches over the whole planet.
    We'll see. Maybe Uber will optimize more to beat them in unit numbers :p

Interesting for sure. I will certainly play this.

EDIT:
    [​IMG]

wtf they have big big plans lol
    stuart98, xankar, tollman and 2 others like this.
  5. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Looks interesting. Essentially I think this will do the things PA didn't (so a realistic sized *single* planet surface, rather than lots of smaller ones).

I'll be interested to see how it develops, I've been curious what they were going to do with the Oxide engine since it was announced :)
  6. crizmess

crizmess Well-Known Member

And guess what?
    One of the first posts in the forum complains about the dull looking terrain. ;)

The internet never changes.
  7. cola_colin

lol, I thought it looks great xD
  8. cdrkf

Early grave? The reviews weren't bad, it's not doing very well then?
  9. cwarner7264

https://www.reddit.com/r/greygoo/comments/2xp8il/please_dont_be_rise_of_legends/

From what I can see as an outside observer:

- Game-breaking balance exploits
    - Severe performance issues on a wide range of hardware
    - Some major bugs
    - Price point too high

All of which contributed to a small and shrinking playerbase just one month after launch.
  10. cola_colin

I heard of rise of legends

People talking about how the games they want to play are dead are pretty common, I would not make much of it.
  11. cdrkf

I wouldn't worry too much about a redit conversation...

I mean just look at some of the 'crusaders' who have been gleefully proclaiming the early demise of PA at every given opportunity, picking up any statistic, comment or review that supports their claim. Thing is, we're still here and so are Uber 6 months after the release, and currently there's nothing I've seen to suggest that's changing in the immediate future :p

*eventually* the doom sayers will get their way (as Uber can't develop 1 game for eternity), however I think by the time Uber are done with PA they'll have covered everything they set out to and then some.
  12. cwarner7264

It's not just the one conversation, but I take the point. I have been keeping an eye on Grey Goo with a view to buying it when the price comes down and have noticed a marked decline in activity across the board in pretty much every facet.

We shall see, but its not a game whose future I'm particularly optimistic about.
    cdrkf likes this.
  13. tollman

tollman Member

Taken from their FAQ section:
    What games are most similar to Ashes of the Singularity?
    Ashes takes a lot of inspiration from Sins of a Solar Empire and Total Annihilation. However, the game mechanics for planetary conquest are influenced by Company of Heroes.

Haven't come across the expected release date yet though.
  14. cdrkf

I guess it all depends on *if* the developer wants to support it long term or not?

I mean the thing that keeps people coming back to PA is the fact we keep getting interesting updates, new things to try and such. The developers of Grey Goo may view it more as a 'ok that's done, onto something else', whereas we know Uber very much view PA as a platform / service, and intend to continue pushing it as time moves on.

I'd still be tempted to get Grey Goo if / when it goes on sale, as from the sounds of it there's an interesting game there and it has a good single player story. I guess from that perspective maybe it doesn't need much ongoing support (as that's really move important for multi player focused titles like PA anyway).

I mean I've played plenty of games which are essentially a 1 play through kinda deal- provided that play through is interesting and has a reasonable amount of content I'm quite happy with that. Most games usually give you considerably more entertainment per £ than films for example.
    squishypon3 and cwarner7264 like this.
  15. wondible

wondible Post Master General

This bit sounds interesting

PA units are still kind of dumb. Ever since TA I've wanted to be able to build an AI Complex and give it a squad to handle.
  16. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

@cwarner7264 So basically Supreme commander HD re-release?

sign me up ! xD
  17. cwarner7264

Perhaps more importantly, it'll be 64-bit.
    xankar and cdrkf like this.
  18. cola_colin

People overrate that. All it means is it will be able to use more memory, which is pretty standard nowadays and basically also means that people with low amounts of system memory will run into issues.

I wonder about how well the simulation scales with many cores.
    Last edited: March 5, 2015
  19. cwarner7264

BUT, I understand that 32-bit was a major limiting factor in SupCom?
  20. cola_colin

The real limitation is that SupCom is from 2006, with developing sttarted years before.