I'm heading out

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by KNight, February 28, 2015.

1. KNight

KNight Post Master General

I got bored on a "down" day last week and had nothing to properly distracting me from getting introspective so that happened and it lead to some decisions being made.

The biggest of which essentially boils down to the idea of removing [unwanted] distractions and part of that is pulling myself out of select online communities. This is one of them.

The reasoning for this is, as you might have already concluded yourselves based on my posting habits over the last 2.5 years, I check these forums almost obsessively, along the lines of opening the page 50+ times a day if I'm on my computer for around a good 6-8 hours. That kinda(but not really) made sense 2 years ago when things boomin' around here but things have really slowed down and I just don't have a purpose here any more. While I don't want to make this a PA Discussion, the short of it is that The Base Game of PA is currently not that interesting to me and all signs point to it staying that way and I feel that it is more likely than not that the capabilities required for me to truly make it a game I can enjoy will not be made available and/or it will be some time before that happens. On top of this Uber has made it's thoughts regarding my interactions/comments/discussions/critiques here very clear and frankly, I have a hard time seeing any value in doing anything about it.

I might return at some point, if PA acquires what I'm looking for but honestly I'm not holding my breath at least. I'll still pop in on occasion, I'm still getting the KS emails of course so as long as those are being used I'll get occasional updates and I'm still trying to decide what to do with my 1000$ Custom Commander, I'm very included to keep it private(voting with my "wallet" essentially) but then with my lack of interest in PA any ways it makes extending effort towards that kinda moot you know? A new game won't really bring me back until it can prove itself to me so that's out.

I will try to stop in to keep things like this thread updated, I know it's somewhat interesting to some people here but the truth is that "likes" don't really mean anything and that's all I've been really getting for the last little bit. Heck the thread itself has been going on for close to 5 months and it's barely got almost 50 posts, of which probably more than half are mine any ways! xD. I don't mean to accuse anyone of not caring, if likes are the extent of it that's fine but it's like they say, you get out what you put in so if there isn't anything worthwhile coming back to me it leaves me with less incentive for me to put in a bunch of effort you know?

If you want to more closely follow along with stuff like my 3D printing and other assorted projects the best place for that is either my Flickr Stream or directly on my Shapeways Shop/Account(you can "Follow" designers once you have an account set-up), other than those I don't really have anything for like a centralized source of info on stuff I'm doing, which is probably something that's in my best interest to fix honestly, so until that happens it's all I got.

So yeah, I'm not bolting immediately and while the normal forum notifications for being tagged ,quoted or liked might not reach me for weeks at a time I will leave Email Notification for PMs on so I can be more reliably reached that way.

So that's what's happening, I don't want to(and won't engage in) trying to make this about accusations or anything like that, I just wanted to make sure things were as clearly communicated and understood as possible.

Mike
    mered4, eroticburrito, xankar and 3 others like this.
  2. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

[​IMG]

It's been fun.

Hope to see you around. :)
    mered4 likes this.
  3. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

It's a shame to see you off. I certainly loved reading up on your 3d printing adventures. If you ever do some more neat stuff or decide on your KS Comm, stop in and let us know!

Take care and good luck with your future adventures!
    tunsel11 likes this.
  4. arseface

arseface Post Master General

Peace man.

As somebody from the MNC days I think can understand where you're coming from. I'm probably wrong, but I might not be. Anyhoo, the people are still cool, and I hope you at least visit the off topic section now and then to say hi.
  5. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

@KNight sometimes the best thing you can do is take a brake from something. Uber are still working on pa, maybe check back in a few months and you'll be pleasantly surprised :)
  6. KNight

Well it is hard to say, I wasn't around much for the MNC days or the lead up despite playing more than average(I assume?) so it's hard for me to draw the parallels too! xD

Well like I said, that is what is will potentially bring me back but from what I've seen I have strong doubts the potential as needed will appear.

Mike
    cdrkf likes this.
  7. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

As someone from the MNC days, I don't always see the benefit of not visiting a forum anymore. I have done that in the past, but come to think of it, never intentionally, just sort of stop visiting one day, including this one, and usually at least attempt at some point to start checking regularly.

Meh, either way, see you around.
  8. KNight

Are you sure you read my post? I mean, the only real reason to check the forums on a regular basis is for the community itself and frankly, why would I be back for that? It's not exactly like it's got my back here you know? I'll know about notable changes tot eh game from the KS Emails (as I said) so if something does happen that brings PA up to my needs I'll still probably find out and come back if it's good enough.

Until then I'm focusing my attention elsewhere where it can actually be productive.

Mike
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  9. thetrophysystem

I read your post, and compared it to "what I usually do". Along with the reason I am still here from circa MNC Xbox360. If I am still here from back then, and you must know the circumstances around that old forum and game and such, then it bears merit to why someone would stay into the future and beyond.

I do agree these forums are needlessly time consuming. I can spend a passive 2 hours on them, especially all I visit. I feel they are very useful to spend time on, and its usually time I wouldn't spend doing anything else anyway, while watching youtube and eating and such. But hey, I can definitely understand allowing yourself more time elsewhere.
  10. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

Eh, I barely play either PA or SMNC, but still occasionally bum around the off-topic forums. Don't have to make a big deal over leaving.
    thetrophysystem and arseface like this.
  11. KNight

And you didn't have to post that, could have just kept silent, yet here you are, making this out to be something more than it is by applying a label to it that doesn't even fit. Bravo!

Mike
    stuart98 likes this.
  12. thetrophysystem

Eh, they are overassuming yes, but they too are also just stating what I am stating, we both waste our times on these forums even during hiatuses in the games. Meh. That is really all I am saying too. I am honestly glad at least you shared you weren't going to be present in case we were talking to a ghost when tagging you and such.
  13. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

I think you misinterpreted the tone of her post Knight, I don't think the intenton was to make you literally feel like you're over dramatic. But instead to say "Ive done similar, don't need to worry too much about it"

But hey, it sucks that you'll be leaving, even if we haven't always agreed on the game's direction and some other things. Hope for you- happy days. :D
  14. knickles

knickles Well-Known Member

I've gotta know...

Worth 1000?
  15. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

It's funny that. I think very few people would argue that it was worth $1000 for a custom commander, yet I also know that it costs Uber more than $1000 to make each one.
    mered4 likes this.
  16. KNight

I think the Potential was, it's just a matter of the execution. I mean I'm not all up in arms about the 1000, it sucks that things turned out the way they did but I knew the risk involved but if things had ended up more like what was pitched/talked about in that first year I would have been able to easily "make back" that money in regards to value through modding/playing PA.

Dems the way life rolls sometimes but frankly I'll take something like this over being involved in a car crash or something you know? ;p

Mike
    stuart98, cdrkf, xankar and 1 other person like this.
  17. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

The person that chooses a car crash is silly anyhow. Silly people.

Best of luck to ya, especially with the 3D printing project. I've always lurked the thread, but no capital to commit to nabbing any of those wonderful minis.
    Geers likes this.
  18. Geers

Geers Post Master General

This is the label extraterrestrial civilisation have put on Earth.
    stuart98 and Gorbles like this.
  19. thetrophysystem

Lol, right? The "worth it" is related to how good the game was at becoming what the person hoped, and if they were soured it wasn't worth it.

Honestly, if they put it in the armor and get the 1k back, technically they have nothing to complain about because they got their money back, which is why it sounds silly if someone who didn't like the end result somehow also didn't put their commander in the armory because they could just get their money back and never look back.

But you are right though, the man hours and liscensing technically makes the "custom commander" valued at 1k or more in "labor and processing". That much is unarguable fact.
  20. KNight

Do you seriously believe that it's a common thing? The first 6 Commanders had 3 months of exclusivity, I would be surprised if more than 5 commanders total to date have made back the 1000$ for the backers.

Mike