Will this game ever be epic?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by pivo187, February 28, 2015.

1. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

Stop comparing this to TA and Supcom. PA is a entirely different type of game.

Being the 'best RTS' is a matter of personal opinion, and what kind of style people prefer. Some people prefer TA over SupCom. Some people prefer Command and Conquer over SupCom. Everyone has different tastes. No game company can have what EVERYONE wants.
    ikickasss, tunsel11 and Nicb1 like this.
  2. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

@pivo187 I'm not at my computer atm so can't check exactly what the name is, but here is the link to the forum thread: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/community-map-pack.67523/#post-1071460

To use it you also need the system sharing mod (also on Pamm). Note that anyone can join a game with custom maps, only the host needs the mods.

Other things I'd highly recommend: pa:stats, besides comprehensive game statistics it also adds a global chat room that shows player ranks and status.

In terms of visuals, awesome projectiles is nice. I'd also recommend team colored air trails, naval trails and the custom skybox mods.

Finally for useability I like the infinite build mod (sets all factories to repeat build by default). second pip can also be handy.
  3. pivo187

pivo187 Active Member

cdrkf thanks maybe we can all play a game Tom?
    cdrkf likes this.
  4. cdrkf

I've got a lot going on tomorrow so may not be able to, though feel free to add me in game '(p)cdrkf'. If I am about I'll drop you a pm, what kinda time would you be on?
  5. mgmetal13

mgmetal13 Active Member

6. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

intresting and well ballanced mapgeneration
    mid to lategame orbital being as fluid, controllable and dynamic as neccesary

personal prefferenace:
    hovercraftset + factory

rather minor:
    generall effects and sounds

this and a better galactic war approach are my main current critic points

however this is not to say that PA is not epic ...
    in fact it is already imo ... it has large fast escalating battles aswell as massive weapons of destruction ... the epicness is there ...

what i think people have a problem with is the lasting effect ... or the novelty
    Last edited: March 1, 2015
  7. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Mechanically PA is sound, no denying that.

But the layer on top of the mechanics is still kinda.....bleh.
  8. ikickasss

ikickasss Active Member

Ive played supcom fa and pa. Both are good games but i had more fun with pa. Supcom is cool because you can customize your commander through battle which i like. But overall i think PA is better. There is a planet editor where u can create planets and make your own choke points. The holkins has a nice sound to it but the pelter sound could be reworked. As far as hundreds of strategies ,No way. PA has just as many strategies as supcom fa. You say the maps are boring. Name one game where you can have many bases on different planets and you can even turn planets into bombs or make a annihilazer which is awesome. Supcom maps are flat and boring. There is only really 2 maps that everybody plays in supcom. If a player doesnt go air in the middle back of setons the game is over. so as far as the hundred different strategies i doubt it. Just my rant. PA is awesome!!!!!
    duncane and DalekDan like this.
  9. pivo187

pivo187 Active Member

Sometime between 6 to 9 cst
  10. popededi

popededi Well-Known Member

I would say, recent changes in effects and such have been quite a step in the right direction. PA still needs some nicer weapon effects and definitely some more memorable sound effects.

I also realised that it adds a lot to the epic feel if you do a nice and large planet(1200), and maybe a couple of smaller moons. That way it doesn't feel like a toy solar system. Now if only performance would permit those becoming a bit more common... :)
    duncane and igncom1 like this.
  11. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

[​IMG]
  12. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

I'm loving the game right now and think it has a lot of 'epic' in it :) Of course there is always room for improvement but I think that room is more in the area of optimisation and polish and little UI tweaks etc. Smashing a moon into a planet, annihilating a planet with a giant frickin' laser, wrecking your enemy's base with a swarm of aircraft or huge battleships... s'all good man!

What exactly do you suggest should be implemented to make the game more epic?
    duncane, Planktum and cdrkf like this.
  13. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

It already is...
    duncane likes this.
  14. takfloyd

takfloyd Active Member

Play better maps.

That is all.

All my games are epic because I only play custom maps.
  15. kalherine

kalherine Active Member

Its just not fair to PA be compared to SCFA

http://www.faforever.com/wp-content/plugins/hana-flv-player/flowplayer/FlowPlayerDark.swf?config={embedded:true,baseURL:'http://www.faforever.com/wp-content/plugins/hana-flv-player/flowplayer',initialScale:'scale',splashImageFile:'http://www.faforever.com/faf/videos/flail2.png',autoBuffering:false,autoRewind:true,loop:false,autoPlay:false,videoFile:'http://www.faforever.com/faf/videos/flail.mp4'}

Pa got his own style and its decent game to players that never play TA or SCFA series we have to respect that.

But Until the future tell us or show nothing similar,nothing now can be compared to a simple, fast, amazing ,epic, and complex game like Chris taylor and his team give to SCFA community.

PA its a game like many others ,you like you play you dont like try other game.
    Last edited: March 2, 2015
  16. kalherine

kalherine Active Member

But Pa is a good game on a diferent style view to who like.
  17. pivo187

pivo187 Active Member

Yes PA does have its own style but its very similar to supcom & TA. Anyways lets get some real terrain features in this game that affect game play, more diverse planets, cooler diverse units never before seen in an RTS game, fix the scale of the units/planets/structures etc, add a full array of naval warfare, add sum tech warfare cloaking, etc, better sound effects, better looking explosions/effects & maybe this game will finally feel epic.
    kalherine and blightedmythos like this.
  18. blightedmythos

blightedmythos Active Member

Units and maps are definitely bland and boring. If anything Uber is moving away from epic as they just shrunk the battleships to look like cute little toy legos.

I don't think Uber really gets "epic" or innovative for that matter.

Also people shouldn't have to mod their game out or make a custom map to make the game enjoyable. These things should be in vanilla. Sounds are very lacking and not unquie. sounds In general are missing the whole bass channel. Worlds are lifeless and unimaginative. Weapon effects for the most part are lackluster. There are no expiramentals or cool units like ships that walk on land. There aren't even really any multigunned units which is strange. They couldnt even draw from modern navel ships that have multifunctional weapons. There are a few epic momments, planet smashing (the effect is pretty meh though) the deathstar and that's about it.
    Last edited: March 2, 2015
    kalherine likes this.
  19. cdrkf

The first rts on true spherical planets, the first rts to feature multiple fields of play at the same time, the first rts in a decade to do anything really new at all and uber aren't innovative?!

Whilst I agree the game has lots of room to grow, that isn't a fair criticism. Also whilst other studios appear faster, uber created the pa engine from scratch. That is rare these days and is a huge undertaking. Most AAA devs with 10x the budget build their games on existing tech, however that wasn't possible with pa. Frankly they've pulled off the neigh on impossible.
  20. blightedmythos

blightedmythos Active Member

The problem is spherical planets take away from the game as much as they add. There are no canyons or height map advantages. There are not any valleys or terrain features. You give up a lot for spherical planets without gaining much in retrun. Even orbital combat is pretty simplistic and permitive.

If it was done right I'd agree, but it isn't really done well.