Will this game ever be epic?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by pivo187, February 28, 2015.

1. pivo187

pivo187 Active Member

I just feel its still missing something that supcom had. I cant really put my finger on it...maybe the bland maps, the boring units, the crappy naval warfare, the cartoony graphics...I just do not feel excited or have as much fun playing it as I did supcom...Thoughts?
    kalherine and tatsujb like this.
  2. lizard771

lizard771 Well-Known Member

1. maps should be improved, yes
    2. define boring
    3. not really crappy anymore
    4. well cartoon certainly is something different

PA is not SupCom 3, nor TA 2.
    doud, mjshorty, EdWood and 4 others like this.
  3. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

These are intentionally like this. I think the game looks great with this.

If you want more interesting gameplay, try out the PTE or hang around for a few more months. Balance is getting a HUGE rework and it seems to be going great.
  4. pivo187

pivo187 Active Member

Maybe if we got interesting maps with elevation & chokepoints it would make the battles more exciting. Everything is flat and boring & there is no chokepoints to any maps similar to setons clutch. Boring as in not as cool/strategically fun as supcom units. I guess Id like to see original units similar to ships that can crawl on land or a aircraft carrying sub. I guess thats really not viable now since there is only one race where supcom had 3 that had distinct weaknesses and advantages. Each race made the game feel different every time & allowed for hundreds of different strategies & ways to play each multiplayer match. Everything in PA is just basic & there are not many strategies in the game like supcom.
    I know this is not supcom or TA but its both of those games spiritual successor. Sitting as its own RTS game its still missing something huge that both TA and supcom had. Supcom was not TA either but it still had that special spark that these RTS type of games have over other RTS games...
    blightedmythos and Uggeli like this.
  5. pivo187

pivo187 Active Member

They are similar RTS games. As starcraft & warcraft are. Im not here to crap on PA, just want to make it the best RTS ever bc currently its not there. Like I said its missing something
  6. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

Well, they are, but supcom was also the most recently successful game in this rts genre. We compare CoD to Battlefield because they are similar and are in the same approximate genre.
  7. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Frankly, its the effects that pull PA down.

From weapon impacts to the sound of thundering artillery, PA kinda sucks.

I personally like the graphics, because grittiness is overdone, and calling it cartoony is kinda an insult to actual cartoons, PA isn't cartoony in the slightest.

CNC1 and RedAlert1 are notable in this regard, not for the graphical style but for how the weapons and units felt.

Explosions exploded, and energy weapons charged and produced a sound that i'll never forget.

TA has weapons that I can remember by the sound, SupCom.......... never really did in my eyes, like I remember the microwave laser, but everything else was so generic and bland it blends together.

That's what PA needs, better effects to what we are seeing, because currently the effects are sorely lacking in the visual sense and especially the audio sense.
    sierra159, nateious, tatsujb and 3 others like this.
  8. pivo187

pivo187 Active Member

9. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

The only thing I agree on is that maps being lifeless and boring. The system editor does a lot of justice for that though, you can make mountain ranges, weird terrain features, bridges, tunnels, etc.

But unfortunately there is nothing you can do to make those concept art type features in those pictures.
    http://www.uberent.com/pa/category/media/conceptart/

Until there is terraforming in the editor and the ability to place effect emitters on planet surfaces, planets are going to be a little boring and not look they best they could. The water from alpha was replaced with an ugly water today, also.
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: February 28, 2015
    tunsel11 and Zaphys like this.
  10. ace902902

ace902902 Active Member

nice space sub
    sierra159 likes this.
  11. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

This is turning into one heck of a flaming/hate thread now >-<

I love how hes complaining about lots of features that are still being worked on....
  12. pivo187

pivo187 Active Member

I just really like the detail of the concept art & the high plateaus where you could place turrets & artillery. Could you imagine how cool battles would be from a strategic standpoint with maps that look like that concept art? I still cant believe how powerful PCs are that we do not have maps similar to that...Then again the whole battles on muliple planets would not be possible with that amount of the detail but honestly Id rather the maps from the concept art & do away with multiple planets...
    Brandonpotter: Im not flaming just pointing out the huge flaws in the game. How about you update us on what is actually being worked on?
  13. mgmetal13

mgmetal13 Active Member

Remy561, Nicb1 and cdrkf like this.
  14. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

You do realise you can make custom maps with choke points and cliffs, and plateaus, right? :p
    DalekDan likes this.
  15. Bsport

Bsport Well-Known Member

oh i think he does, But i think he'd rather troll.
    Nicb1 and DalekDan like this.
  16. sebovzeoueb

sebovzeoueb Active Member

Has this game ever not been epic?
  17. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Well.....yeah actually all throughout development the game hasn't exactly been a looker, and even with the games mechanics being essentially unfinished and unpolished the game is essentially a weird looking mess.
  18. sebovzeoueb

sebovzeoueb Active Member

I dunno, I've always found it to be OK looking, and the epicness comes from being able to smash planets into each other and stuff. I've personally found it great since Alpha, but I guess I am a bit of a fanboy.
  19. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Who's there, no need to call him a troll for having an opinion.

Maybe he doesn't know?

Anyway if you don't you really should check out or make your own custom map, they can be very interesting and are quite easy to make.
  20. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Yeah @pivo187 a couple of things...

1, do you have pamm? (if not, get it!!!)

2, if you do, have you downloaded @reptarking 's community map pack? It even includes a remake setons and fields of Isis from sup com, with many other great hand crafted maps featuring all kinds of crazy stuff.
    Nicb1 likes this.
  21. pivo187

pivo187 Active Member

Not trolling. Like I said in the beg of the thread I want this game to be the best RTS ta/supcom style game ever made bc we have nothing else to look forward to ATM. Im just pointing out big flaws that many other people have seen too. Sorry that I do not follow every post & thread on where development is going. I appreciate the members who posted links to custom maps that I never knew of. But the thing is anyone playing these? Whenever I log on I hardly see any custom games going on if ever...I got PAMM but I do not see the custom map pack you were reffering to cdrkf? What other stuff from PAMM do you recommend?
    blightedmythos likes this.