Nuclear Missile Area Attack Patterns

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Xaff, February 26, 2015.

1. Xaff

Xaff New Member

I'm not finding the information I'm looking for anywhere so I'm just going to ask it here.

When I fire however many nukes I have in an area attack at another planet, they enter orbit simultaneously right above their impact zone and drop straight down. Great for a quick win, but otherwise meh.

Straight down:

On many of the older videos I see on YouTube and in some of the trailers for this game, the nukes all enter orbit at a single point and then fly across the surface to their destination - A pattern that I personally enjoy much more than just having the nukes fall straight down, but I can't seem to recreate it.

Wrapping around (I want to be able to do this):

Is there a separate option or command to have the nukes gradually destroy a planet from pole to pole instead of exploding all at once, or was this patched out at some point or something? I've searched all the change logs for the keyword "nuke" and none mentioned a change in nuke algorithms.

Thanks!
  2. davostheblack

davostheblack Well-Known Member

The entry of nukes was altered so they now currently enter directly above their targets
    Xaff likes this.
  3. Xaff

Xaff New Member

Bummer, alright. Is there a way revert this, through a mod perhaps?
  4. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

The older version was better cosmetically but added a nasty amount of randomness to nuking that had no place in a competitive rts.
    kayonsmit101, theseeker2 and Planktum like this.
  5. Xaff

Xaff New Member

That makes a lot of sense, but I do hope that they add the option to revert back to the old style at a later date. Could be as simple as an option on the launcher itself, on the bar on the right side of the screen.
  6. Jackbandanna

Jackbandanna Active Member

The warping around method also left each nuke open to an antinuke while it traveled over the planet. The new method only leaves a nuke vunerable to an antinuke over the target area.
  7. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

And I hope it stays this way!
    whisperr and theseeker2 like this.
  8. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

The randomness was a problem if there were anti-nukes on that planet. So sometimes a nuke would appear above the destined landing place and explode. But other times it has to fly for half the planet and it might come across anti nukes which then destroy the nuke before it hits its destination ;)
  9. Abaddon1

Abaddon1 Active Member

Oh man, the newer nuke entry pattern looks pretty amazing to me. (Shows how recently I've played, since I had no idea they changed it).
  10. Diaboy

Diaboy Active Member

[link]

More discussion in there. I still stand by the old cosmetic effect is much better, but the randomness, obviously, is not - so, rather than having the entry point be a random/less clear location, make it the centre of the attack circle you generate when launching the nukes. That way it's completely controlled and looks awesome.
  11. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

first one wins due to dupstep ..... no seriously it looks actualy cooler than the old version to me ... so i am ok with it both from a visual and gameplayperspective ...
  12. lizard771

lizard771 Well-Known Member

It's Electro House or something. Also, the "straight down" approach is better for gameplay, because you couldn't control how nukes wrapped around planets.