PTE build 79270-pte now up

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by jables, February 16, 2015.

1. cmdrflop

cmdrflop Active Member

I like the added features, but why are you nerfing the bots! :( They were not op at all. Or that is at least what i think?
    lapsedpacifist likes this.
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I've been thinking about dox speed, never posted my thoughts so far, but I kinda wondered if maybe slowing them down makes some maps feel a little bigger. When doing comparaisions with FA in terms of "how long do units need to traverse the map" the dox was a weird oddball: it was crazy fast compared to anything. Using the dox as a measure made maps seems super small, while using the tank was much better looking. So a little speed nerf is good for expansion play, as it ups the time before raids can hit you.
    drz1, Remy561, Schemya and 1 other person like this.
  3. cmdrflop

cmdrflop Active Member

But the speed is really the only thing that is good about them though o_O
  4. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

17 still is faster than any other ground unit I think by a nice margin. So you can still run away from anything and still catch fabbers. I guess direct attacks vs tanks will work less good, as more dox will die before you get in range, but I don't see why that would be bad. Dox are not a direct attack unit.
    cmdrflop likes this.
  5. jables

jables Uber Employee

edited op with known issue of surrender and delete not working. new annoying bug.
  6. mayhemster

mayhemster Well-Known Member

with that dox and the previous air nerfs, t2 suddenly looks much more of an option in 1v1
    Remy561 likes this.
  7. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

I really like the dox nerf, though I think upping the damage/rof slightly to compensate would be worthwhile. It'll take them longer to get to expansion, but once they find them, they make a bit bigger mess faster.
  8. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

Yay!!

Wait u wut?
  9. doud

doud Well-Known Member

@jables It looks like shellers (T2 mobile Arty) and T1 fixed arty are not firing when there are units within their range.
    Does anyone else gets this issue ?
    Thanks.
    vasonsenmic likes this.
  10. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

I didn't think they'd adjust dox. @tvinita must agree that we need more expansion play.
  11. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

If you think thats right you should try air or boombots...

Dox too fast is definitly a l2p issue and not a balance issue.
  12. mered4

?

It's about encouraging expansion play, not the balance of things. The balance of tanks -> dox is *okay* as-is.

It's just not about proxy bases and whatnot. It's all about the unit spam.
  13. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

No actually its also about energy, intell, expanding, raiding, defending etc
  14. nixtempestas

but all these things revolve around/support unit spam, which I am not a fan of. This game could really benefit from extensive use of proxy bases.
    killerkiwijuice and mered4 like this.
  15. jomiz

jomiz Active Member

CoherentUI freeze bug happened again and this time I wasnt using any mods.
    Here is the log.
    http://pastebin.com/NEY0SBe8

e. wut, i disabled mods on PAMM I had no UI mods in use, that log still says those were loaded.
  16. mered4

Interesting sidenote:

I am starting to see some specific roles come into play for each specific unit type.

For example, against turtles you might want a very bot-focused army composition. Grenadiers would be used for breaking PD+Wall combos, while dox are for keeping them inside their chosen headbasket.

Or, against someone more dynamic who uses air and/or tanks, you go for a more ant/spinner mix, with infernos behind to mop up some of the heavier buildings (like factories).

Or, you could go air heavy, using air to keep your enemy on the back foot (since T1 bombers are really good at murdering armies) and save for a T2 factory and T2 G2A units, like the T2 bomber. Bear in mind this doesn't work super well in the current balance, because T2 G2A is still really wonky and vulnerable to AA.

Or, you could rush for T2 Ground spam. Go for Levelers (the defacto siege tank) and T1 tank mix, and suddenly you can roll over T1 PD walls like nothing. Unfortunately, you can also do this with T1 spam - maybe PD's need a buff. Not so much that getting up one is a territory grab, but getting a solid defensive line is serious business.
    Remy561 and emraldis like this.
  17. nixtempestas

perhaps increase the damage/ROF and cost (damage more than cost) of the double laser turret so that we can throw up the cheap singles for low priority areas, and the doubles for some serious hurt.
  18. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Loaded, yes, mounted no:
    No worries. They were indeed disabled. (The one mod that was mounted is for PAMM).
    For complete no-mod loading, you can use the --nomods flag.
    websterx01 likes this.
  19. frostsatir

frostsatir Active Member

Dox should be fast for harras enemy's expand. Boom bots should have high DPS for counter noob comm rush on little maps.So i don't like this changes.

Yes, we have a problem, that dox+air very useful on big maps,but... We just don't have other fast "land" units for destroying enemy's economy in game.TA had Jeffyes,Flashs,pelicans,peewees. In PA we have only Dox.Boom bots not useful for this,cuz their LOC too small. Bolos too slow for 900-1300 radius planets.

But this changes make the game just slower.In PTE slower start,slower dox.What next? We can solve balance problem but with another ways.

My suggestions:
    1) Leave dox's speed as it is.
    2) Add 1 more fast light tank for t1 veh with metal cost like 90 metal..This unit should be a little stronger then Dox but not so easy for spam.Move speed like 17 lol.
    3)Decrease teleport's energy draw to 500. Their cost good enough, but they are use too much energy economy. I prefer too see many teleports on big planets.
  20. nixtempestas

The problem is harassing enemy economy is TOO easy right now, especially since there is no real chance of setting up a proxy base before a roaming dox hoard blows it to bits.

Though I do like the teleport suggestion. Or maybe add a basic teleporter (current teleporter becomes advanced/orbital) which is smaller, cheaper, weaker and only works on same planet. Could use a com fab in a pelican to quickly build and move stuff around, but being immobile can be defended against with good intel and fast response, which currently is hard with dox groups.