Hey UBER, are the Sniper bots broken?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by j4cko, February 23, 2015.

1. bengeocth

bengeocth Post Master General

or the beam being set not to collide with the surface.

I've made some games, and whenever a bullet hit an obstacle, I would tell the bullet to destroy itself rather than tell the obstacle to destroy the bullet.
    websterx01 likes this.
  2. andrehsu

andrehsu Active Member

I know the reason is balance and I am fine with that, but I feel the need for a logical explanation for why it cannot shoot at planes. I need it to make sense.
    jamesw100 likes this.
  3. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

All those seem like they should be fixed properly rather than with this poor band-aid fix we have now...
  4. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Fixed would mean allowing the projectile to go underground, and no actual ballistic physics would take it in a rapid path following exactly along the ground.

I am sure they tried cruise height on the projectile but that probably looks even funnier, imagine it running along the distance of a curvy ground...
  5. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

And what exactly speaks against sniper bots only operating at full range on suitable terrain? Wouldn't hurt anyone to have to deploy sniper bots to elevated positions on strongly curved planets or in rough terrain.
    KNight and ace63 like this.
  6. jamesw100

jamesw100 Member

The gun is mounted in in a horizontal position. It is huge and if it were pointed vertically the bot would fall on its back.
  7. crizmess

crizmess Well-Known Member

I didn't do the math, but my guess is that they would only reach maximum weapon range on planets with radius 700+. So unless we have a clear indication on how far they can actually shoot, it would be really troublesome to play this unit at its limits.
  8. j4cko

j4cko Member

That gave me idea.. actually if they just shot intelligent bullet which we already have that corrects its path by little bit it could look ok while cruising at set height straight to targeted unit.
  9. andrehsu

andrehsu Active Member

Yessss, thank you kind sir