[REL] Awesome System Generator

Discussion in 'Released Mods' started by yarmond, February 4, 2015.

1. yarmond

yarmond Member

This is a mod for creating interesting random systems from the new game lobby while allowing a degree of control over the system. The game host can specify:
    • The number of planets in each of 4 size classes
    • The number of gas giants
    • The number of start planets
    • The number of launchable (Halley) planets
    • The number of Annihilaser planets
    • The (approximate) number of metal spots per player
    • Whether start planets can be "game ender" planets
    I started work on this a while ago due to dissatisfaction with the old randomly-generated systems, which had only a handful of templates based on the player count with limited parameter ranges fed into the random planet generator.

This mod computes circular orbits for each of the planets, with larger planets being allowed to have small / tiny planets as moons, Several planets may be placed at the same orbital radius in order to generate relatively compact systems with reasonable interplanetary transit times.

Other notable features:
    • Some probability of generating mostly-ocean planets (high water height)
    • Allows metal planets with R < 500, which do not have build spots for Catalysts
    • Metal probability varies by planet type (higher for lava and metal planets)
    • Guarantee at least one (and usually two) metal spots per start location
    • Option to generate symmetrical starting planets
    • Option to limit starting locations to 1 per player, per planet (to guarantee symmetry)

Bug reports, and suggestions for additional features and configuration options are welcome.

Install using PAMM or check out the repository on Github.

config.png systemview.jpg
    Last edited: February 28, 2015
  2. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Successor mod to better system generator by @liquius?
  3. wondible

wondible Post Master General

Is the new system button supposed to work now?
  4. yarmond

yarmond Member

I suppose it figures that something would break as soon as I tried to share this. It should be working now.
    wondible likes this.
  5. burntcustard

burntcustard Post Master General

Haven't tried this out yet but it looks amaaaaaazing.
  6. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Welp, this is so awesome but I think there is going to be an official update for something like this at the end of February.

I'm going to use this non-stop until it becomes redundant though.
  7. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

The metal per player seems bugged, I try increasing it from 50 to 100 but the metal settings stay at 25.
    yarmond likes this.
  8. yarmond

yarmond Member

That's not necessarily a bug. I restrict the minimum "metal clusters" to 25 on start planets to guarantee at least one metal spot per spawn point.

The metal per planet setting only has limited control. Any non-zero metal setting will result in at least 20 or so metal spots per planet, so depending on the number of player slots and planets you have, you can get more metal spots than expected.
  9. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

Sounds like a really good mod, nice one.
  10. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

I love this mod, but please add an option to have "just 1 spawn location" as it can ruin the balance of symmetrical maps as one player can unwittingly have an upper hand against another player or AI practice ;)
    yarmond likes this.
  11. yarmond

yarmond Member

Good point. The symmetry settings don't seem to affect how the symmetrical landing zones are assigned to players, so one player can end up with both of a pair of symmetric landing zones. I added a "single landing zone per player & planet" option in Version 1.1, and submitted the update to PAMM.
    mjshorty likes this.
  12. yarmond

yarmond Member

Oops, you were right. I was stupidly overwriting the calculated values for the metal settings with these defaults. It's fixed now.
    mjshorty, ViolentMind and stuart98 like this.
  13. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

best mod ever thank you
  14. trilioth

trilioth Member

I love the mod. Uber's Random tab doesn't replace it for me.

I do have some small issues with it though.

When a system is generated then generated again the planet types are the same. For instance, I just generated 2 large planets and they were both desert biomes and no matter how many times I hit the load button they are always 2 desert biomes.

I would like to generate systems with an annihilaser without it being a starting planet. I can't seem to do that. If there is an annihilaser then the option "Allows start planets with game enders" gets set after clicking load, when it was unchecked before clicking load.

This is related to the above. I'd like the option to set which type of planets can be start planets. Or at least make it so that when load is clicked again that it will randomize the planet types and which planets are start planets.

Edit: It occurred to me why you would want it to use the same planets when clicking load again: adjusting for more players. So instead I'd request a new button that would cause a different planets to be generated.
    Last edited: April 11, 2015
  15. yarmond

yarmond Member

The 'load' button is supposed to generate the same system each time (with the exception of the planet names changing) as long as the 'System ID' is the same. If you want a different system with the same mix of planet sizes, you should click the 'New Awesome System' button

If there aren't enough planets to have the specified number of starting planets without some of them also supporting game enders (either Halleys or the annihilaser), then it will force that checkbox on. Note that increasing the 'Annihilaser planets' count doesn't add more planets, it just makes one of the existing medium/large planets into metal planet with annihilaser build spots. If you're seeing this behavior in any other case let me know the settings so I can try to replicate it and fix it.
  16. medicrules41

medicrules41 New Member

So, I'm running into a slight issue: The 'LOAD' button doesn't work. The New Awesome System button gives me a new system ID, but the load button does nothing. Perhaps it's the PA update, which was released this morning. Either way, help plz! I want to use this mod so goddamn bad.
  17. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

its a problem of the new patch? I cant use it either
  18. j4cko

j4cko Member

Same! Plz fix!
  19. Azarath

Azarath Member

It doesn't work for me either.
    I really love the simplicity this mod bring for system creation
  20. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

@yarmond any chance you could look into this?
  21. mikeyh

mikeyh Post Master General