B8factor and Gameg1rl Commentated Replays

Discussion in 'Videos And Replays!' started by b8factor, January 7, 2015.

1. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

You both are getting really better and better at casting. The video editing is good and the jokes I find funny :p and it wasn't that boring at all. I like how @gameg1rl ask a couple of questions or reminds you to some stuff happening. There's some really good stuff happening between you two.

Game was casted well. While you were taken out earlie on you still did some really good casting.

Thats not really a banger btw. It didn't do much at all :p . So painful when you miss with moon. How'd it feel btw gameg1rl :p ? I would have done the same. Going all in and taking someone with me.

Btw about the video we're not in kansas anymore. I really felt like you were commentating too fast. You talked really quick which I think works really good when it gets really exciting. I do think it needed a break sometimes where you can sitback relax and reorientate with what is happening. For instance in the deciding fight between us you were talking fast and you were really excited which draws me in the video even more.

I like these planetsmashes. Its so satisfying to land a moon on someone's base.
    The first boombot attempt from gameg1rl was kinda painful to watch :p . Glad you retried and succeeded.

Btw @corgiarmy . I think your definately one of the top players in an ffa and even in the AC clan. I don't know what it is but I can just see that your not an average player. How is boggles doing btw? He's kinda quiet lately?

I had a big post before but I lost that one so i'm keeping this one short :)
    gameg1rl and b8factor like this.
  2. b8factor

b8factor Active Member

This is the SHORT one, oh how I wanted to read the LONG one, LOL.

Thanks, you made my day… read it at work and SMILED big. Sure the videos eat up a lot of time…. And we pay 40 a month for an ADOBE membership JUST to make font scroll across the screen all cool like, and we get less game time, but Gameg1rl and I really love making the videos. It is fun.

We have so many hurtles we are trying to work through:

We only have one “nice” MIC and it is hard to get us both centered on it for back and forth use.

How to choose a game to cast. Is it excited? Is there something neat to show with the game play? Was there a HOLY COW situation(Slim Pickens video)? We play a lot of games but can only afford, time wise, to do 1 game a week with our spare time.

How much polish should we do? We just got Adobe Premier, After effects, and Photo shop. I want to use them for all kinds of things but we are new to them. We try to add a new “enhancement” from time to time and each time we do try to identify if we can reuse easily. If it takes too much work to do a subtle change then it might not be worth it in the long run but there is only one way to find out. For instance the “Modern Warfare” typed text we added. We were able to develop that so that we can easily add anywhere we want. Which presents my next hurtle!

When do we make something a consistent staple versus use it every once in a while? Like, should we pop it up with a time stamp every time we switch scenes… or only occasionally when things are really scattered? Do we use it when players die to give the time stamp, and who took them out? How much is too much?

Also, how long do we polish a replay? We could finish one, 1st pass live watching in 40-50 minutes. I believe this is how most casters work to get more content out. There is nothing wrong with that at all, but we decided to try to educate, entertaining, and have fun while also commentating. We could work on a single project for 3-4 days and still want to work on it even longer but decided, nope that is it must ship now!

Then when is the editing good for the video or distracting the content? Split screen is a good example? It takes a lot of time to do split screen… watching the video 3, 4, or even 5 times through on slow speed to collect as many frames as possible and using the Adobe to speed up. Layering the videos and cropping. A 10 minute scene could take 2-3 hours to make and it is just the intro of the video. Would it be easier to rewind and show missed battles after the fact or do split screen? Most the times it seems the answer is depends…. Another example the replay bar. I started editing it out… I think video looks nicer without that bar in the way. But what about game time… when do people need to know WHEN something happened?

Consistency? Does introducing system, and players and explaining a few things over and over help new views or does it make the content stale?

What about play time? Some of my favorite ones were super long battles with Masteroflness. But those videos are an hour plus! I feel like it would be best to keep a video down below 30 minutes UNLESS it was warranted to show more. Hard to say… everyone has different taste.

What IS interesting… sometimes I find a tiny little insignificant fire base design that was never even used in game to be interesting. Haha

What should I NOT do? A few times I slip and cuss… good/Bad… probably depends on who you ask? What about inserts of sound and video, we have to research the rules for doing so.

Lots to process… sometimes I think it would be easy to just record live and deal with human error but again, we really love trying to make the experience an entertaining one!

Thanks for posting, we really do appreciate it!
    Zaphys likes this.
  3. Alpha2546

Yes yes THAT was the short on hehehehe.
    I like the splitscreen. I think its really useful with how you did it ( by showing different builds in the beginning). Maybe sometimes doing that and go in detail by each different build with its pro's and cons). It can get easily distracted so the footage needs to be a bit of the same I think to

Its not that hard to both get close to the mic what if gamegirl sits on your lap. I'm sure gamegirl won't mind it ( and you either :p though for the amount of time it can get painful I guess hahahaha ). I like one video a week. It keeps the video's special instead of trying too poop out as much as you can.

I think long video's are viable too but they need to have good footage. I'm sure you can make them still really interesting :)

How much polish should we do? The polish is already good. I'd just push it whenever you feel like you want to push it.
    When do we make something a consistent staple versus use it every once in a while?
    I think you make a good decision to do it when a confrontation is going on
    Consistency?
    I like how you do it now. Who are they are they good. Its always nice to know a little bit of background information about that. Maybe you could give a bit more explaining about the system (where are the battles going to take place probably?.)
    what is interesting?
    If you find it interesting then I'm positive that you can capture the viewer by explaining it why you find the firebase so interesting. They're not only to watch the video. They want to know your opinion of the situation. That way they probably will form they're own opinion and see if it all work out.
    What should I NOT do?
    The only thing that I find disturbing is sometimes you cut the scene while someone still is talking. Not that big of a deal though.

Lots to process… sometimes I think it would be easy to just record live and deal with human error but again, we really love trying to make the experience an entertaining one!
    Why not try it and see how it works out. Do you mean while your playing it? Cause I know the playstyle will suffer because of it. Did some streaming and I was amazed at how tricky it is to talk and play. That really takes some practice!
    gameg1rl and b8factor like this.
  4. Corgiarmy

Corgiarmy Active Member

I loved the last video. It was my favorite so far. I enjoyed the different effects, split screen, and all. It was disappointing you got sniped by posidian. He is a very good player (I tried to get revenge for you but I lost to him and I had twice the economy and unit count that he had :( ). The commentary was engaging, interesting, and enjoyable. The video was a good length. I wanted it to be longer, but I want a video to make me want it to be longer. Masterrolfness gets by with longer videos because when the game is dull he spouts whatever on the top of his head without censorship which is entertaining on its own. If I am honest, I don't have an hour to watch a Planetary Annihilation video and I sometimes lose interest if it last too long. I got a kick from the puppy's commentary in one of the videos too.

I don't know how you have time for work, puppies, planetary annihilation, and making these videos. It must be time consuming. I am greedy and don't want you to stop playing or making videos. So my conclusion is work must go.

I agree with Alpha (100%) on everything from the what's interesting to how to share the mic.

Alpha, I don't know where Drboggles is lately. He hasn't been playing a lot which is disappointing. He is another player I enjoy playing with and against. Also I haven't seen you on the battlefield lately. We need to get a game together sometime soon.
    gameg1rl likes this.
  5. gameg1rl

gameg1rl Member

Thanks for your great feedback and support @Alpha2546 and @corgiarmy !

I agree with your points; especially how to get closer to the mic. :) It was a bit tough for me to convince @b8factor that we needed to banter back and forth more instead of just taking turns; or him doing most of it. We had a few, umm…. ‘discussions’ regarding that. Perhaps if you had given that ‘lap’ suggestion earlier –haha. We are also working on my speaking more.

I have wanted to and tried several times to adjust the bangers and other things in the System Designer; but alas, the operations still do not stick. I’ve spent a very, very long time making and modifying a system only to have it disappear on re-entry. Yes, we have checked out the forums and tried the ole export/import. Perhaps that will be fixed soon as it is extremely frustrating.

I see what you are saying about b8 talking fast; and when a scene is cut a bit too soon. We are working on things and learning a lot along the way.

@corgiarmy: We do sometimes have to plan around the doggies; and yes, there may be a bark or two here and there. :) As far as us having time, it is part of our lives together… our hobby… our enjoyment…

Thanks again!
    - @gameg1rl
    Alpha2546 and b8factor like this.
  6. b8factor

b8factor Active Member

Planetary Annihilation #25 "Like a Good Neighbor" Commentated Replay
    Good neighbors make the best friendenmies.

Commanders:
    @b8factor
    @gameg1rl
    @the_real_gandalf aka: @Alpha2546
    @alucardtepes
    @mimikin
    @rg138
    @sylr
    @acodegerm
    rg138, kayonsmit101, Zaphys and 2 others like this.
  7. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Nice :)

The new RNA system should be able to be loaded without as much lag but it will still take a bit to load the system since it's one of the biggest .pas files. (1.7 MB is very large compared to others, and unfortunately it lags the UI big-time.) It used to be around 2.5 MB so you can expect almost 2x faster loading times and no locking-up.
    b8factor and gameg1rl like this.
  8. Alpha2546

HAHAHAH this one made me laugh so hard haha hilarious haha.

first of all I renamed myself because there was/still is a gandalf in the top 10 uber which isn't the real gandalf. Gandalf requested that i would change my name to the real gandalf to backstab the fake uber top 10 gandalf. You get it? Me neither.

So here was my thinking.
    *They probably won't know its me so they'll probably leave me alone*
    *Lets go mass air and snipe his comm @gameg1rl style he'll never expect something like that.*
    *You know what an orbital factory might come in handy lets build that too. Couple of anchors to turtle up and I'm good*

Completely falled in the water when you took out my combat fabbers. To sum up my feelings
    [​IMG]
    I knew I was pretty much @!# from that moment so I tried doing as much damage as possible. Think I accomplished that pretty well.
    The dox were really annoying with that spread move. Really good move. I was hoping that you would leave me limping along but I guess you didnt want that to happen :( .

Casting is really good. I really haven't much to say about it. Its not really quiet or has some weak points.
    I love the thumbnail. Whatsup with the title though. I didn't get it this time?

Tip for @gameg1rl . If you got boombots then you absolute must have some kind of vision. Radarvision is already good. What I do is build a radar close to his base and scout his base. Two question I ask my self

1. Does he have dox or inferno's? If yes snipe is really hard unless...
    2. Is his commander out of place? yes go for it. Maybe even take out his radar first so he won't know what is happening.
    If its not possible then I'll hunt for his income if not then I'll just be patient or kill him in a different way and use the booms on someone else.

Poor green got sandwiched. That was kinda sad. Hilarious btw that you went air too. That was just so painful for me. The killing blow from your wife was really good though.

Good video. Made me laugh a LOT.
    BTW how did I got away that one time with changing my name? I had so much fun wrecking your wife with the gille's. I can still imagine the scream for help coming from you wife and you immidiatly rallying your army to my base hehehhe.

Cya next time!
  9. b8factor

b8factor Active Member

Looking forward to trying it!
  10. Alpha2546

Thats just made me laugh even more lol
    gameg1rl likes this.
  11. rustym

rustym New Member

YES!

S01ep15 was fantastic. Perhaps my favorite ep yet. ("We're NOT in Kansas Anymore" and "Revenge" were amazing too.)

Seriously solid attempt @Alpha2546 !! That commander snipe on @gameg1rl might have worked out if you didn't spawn next to @b8factor
    Last edited: February 25, 2015
  12. jtibble

jtibble Active Member

That game was fantastic. The nuke exchange near the end, with @b8factor reacting by moving all his air AND retaliation-firing his nuke before yours hit, @gameg1rl, was very impressive. Whoops on the halley notification and the anti-nuke... if you had assisted with your orbital fabbers (still allowed in that version?) you might have been able to get it up in time... it was super-close. Good game, everyone!
    Corgiarmy, b8factor and gameg1rl like this.
  13. b8factor

b8factor Active Member

I was quite proud of the fact I launched the nuke in the nick of time, thanks for commenting! If I had launched it a little more north of her base it might have changed the whole outcome of that battle!

:)
  14. b8factor

b8factor Active Member

Planetary Annihilation #26 "Screaming like a Girl!" Commentated Replay
    So we are running a little bit behind, lost power and hot water for 3 days due to winter storm. We did not get to put as much work into this replay as we wanted, but there is a nice surprise for your enjoyment!

Commanders:
    @b8factor
    @gameg1rl
    @erikejf
    @angrybeaver
    @Johnsen
    @REPORT
    @posidian
    @mikai47
  15. Bob620

Bob620 New Member

Best 2v2v2v2 to date, just for the ending.
    b8factor and Corgiarmy like this.
  16. ace902902

ace902902 Active Member

[​IMG]
    Alpha2546 likes this.
  17. Alpha2546

Best commboxing match ever. Who would have thought that would happen in 2v2v2v2v2v2 :p .

Really fun stuff hahaha.

Nicely done!
  18. Zaphys

Zaphys Well-Known Member

We want moar vids! :D
    DeathByDenim likes this.
  19. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Yar!!
  20. b8factor

b8factor Active Member

@gameg1rl and I will be back on soon! Sorry for the delay, we have been distracted by the Homeworld Remastered release! haha I had to get me some space RTS on! We have been playing through the campaigns together but when done we will be back into PA mode! Already missing us some PA!!!!!

In the mean time we have been digesting ADOBE Illustrator and Aftereffects tutorials so we hope to come back with some neat eye candy ALONG with some GOOD play!
    Zaphys and Alpha2546 like this.