Combining ChronoCam and PIP

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Planktum, February 23, 2015.

1. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

@jables I'm wondering if it would be possible to add the ability to use ChronoCam on the PIP camera only. This way I could still control the live game but use the PIP to see ChronoCam. I probably wouldn't use ChronoCam this way very often and I don't really know if it would add any benefit, but I thought it might be a good idea?

I've also noticed that the ChronoCam doesn't show notifications anymore, is this intended (maybe they were disabled while you worked on which notifications are displayed?) or is it a known bug? If the ChronoCam notifications started working again and I clicked on a particular notification, then maybe it could display the ChronoCam in the PIP?

Just an idea. ChronoCam is very rarely used mid game but it's still pretty cool and the ability to use the PIP to view the ChronoCam could be a good thing.
    cmdrflop and christer1966 like this.
  2. andrehsu

andrehsu Active Member

3. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

This has been raised in the past - at the minimum, you are looking at something like 2x the performance hit and RAM usage, as you are effectively running the game twice to see both viewpoints in time. That's beyond the realm of most computers, so although that would be amazing, it wouldn't be practical. I believe that was the answer a dev gave at one point, anyway.
  4. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

also chronocam slow motion :^)
  5. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I totally agree this would be awesome. We do not have a way to set the time per viewport sadly, not sure how much work it would be to add that, depends on the implementation of the current viewports/chronocam relation. I don't think you would see a 2x performance hit if the extra viewports are small. Yes performance hit, but probably manageable for the better computers. So a nice to have feature. However before time is put into this I'd rather see a working minimap implemention. Has far less of a performance hit and yields a lot more in terms of overview.
    theseeker2 likes this.
  6. Planktum

I don't understand why people want a minimap for a game spanning multiple planets? Can't you just use the Camera Anchors and PiP? I found management of this game hard at first but now I have no problem managing my units across multiple battlefields/planets. The PiP and Camera Anchors make it so easy once you get used to it.

Another idea for the PiP... it would be good if the PiP could be set to follow a particular unit, i.e. I choose an advanced radar satellite and then lock the PiP to that unit. I then send the advanced radar satellite to another planet and the PiP tracks it's movement. Alternatively I could lock the PiP to my commander which would remind me to keep him building/assisting stuff and also keep an eye on his movements to make sure his location is adequately protected.
  7. kayonsmit101

kayonsmit101 Active Member

Select unit in pip window and hit t. This will track said unit. :)
  8. Planktum

Ok thanks. That's a good enough work around I guess. I would prefer if I could select the unit in the main window and hit "t" and it copy to the PiP. Then I select it's destination using the main window and PiP follows the unit to it's destination. But your suggestion is good enough I guess.