So I hosted a 20 player FFA single planet game last night. Video and screenshots ITT :)

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by zihuatanejo, February 20, 2015.

1. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

I have access to an eight core E3-1270 v3 @ 3.5GHz (great single threaded performance), 32GB server in Germany.

Let's play some big PA games on it!

All we need is players :p Late evening UTC time, I'm thinking. I'm probably not going to be around in the evening until about 9pm, maybe 10pm.

Please supply suitable maps if you can. Team games are best for performance according to @sorian, who watched us play last time, but I think a 16/20/24 player FFA would be nice.

Paging @cwarner7264 and @burntcustard - perhaps you can get some of your numerous Realm players in the mix? :) Also, we can rent a server if we end up needing more cores/RAM, but I think this server should do fine. Let's find out, anyway :)

Be sure to hang out in PA Stats global chat so we can organise the thing :)
    trialq, EdWood, cwarner7264 and 2 others like this.
  2. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

I'm out and about tonight I'm afraid! Will do what I can to rustle up some players. If you set a firm start time, I'll make some events about the place.

EDIT: Also strongly suggest posting some of the videos from last time in the OP to try and whet people's appetite a little :D

EDIT2: You're also very welcome to use the Realm's teamspeak again - feel free to distribute the IP via the PAStats global chat.
    Last edited: February 20, 2015
  3. zihuatanejo

Back now. Will spin up the server in about 10-15minutes.
  4. zihuatanejo

Game is up, join now! GO GO GO!
  5. Jackbandanna

Jackbandanna Active Member

missed it -_-
  6. zihuatanejo

Not to worry, follow me on Twitch (http://twitch.tv/fractaljaguar), there'll be another soon, quite possibly tomorrow :)
    cdrkf and Jackbandanna like this.
  7. zihuatanejo

8. jamesw100

jamesw100 Member

holy ****, those pictures are amazing! Especially the third one.
  9. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

Is this overclocked? I didn't think that they made Xeons with clocks as high as the i7-3770K.

Also, how was sim speed?
  10. zihuatanejo

First of all, it is actually a quad-core with hyperthreading. My bad, should have fact checked what my friend said!

Secondly, the sim speed was good. It dips mid game but towards the end it was back up to 10fps. Check for yourself:
    http://pastats.com/chart?gameId=291685

As far as I am aware it is not overclocked. I believe the older Xeon processers have a higher clockspeed. Here's the CPU info: http://ark.intel.com/products/75056/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E3-1270-v3-8M-Cache-3_50-GHz

The Xeon E5 processors seem to be have a much slower clockspeed, which no doubt hampers single thread performance.
  11. websterx01

It definitely isn't overclocked at all. It's based on 22nm Haswell so there's why it's got such clock speeds. Interestingly, it has very high single threaded performance and is mainly beat out by the i7-4790k. (It isn't actually second,but the others are all so close to it that they don't really matter.

Edit: single socket only. You'd need to cheat and use a clustering method.
    It would be awesome to get a dual socket for this.
    Last edited: February 22, 2015
  12. zihuatanejo

I'm sure you can get a dual socket motherboard for that CPU. It's great actually, it is probably one of the best CPUs for a Planetary Annihilation server right now. I wonder which CPUs PlayFab currently use...?

Unfortunately I will probably not have access to this server for much longer. But I'm trying to list all the CPUs that various hosts offer, in particular the hosts that offer hourly rental.
  13. DarkGift

DarkGift New Member

That CPU (E3) is single socket only. From the ark page you referenced: Scalability 1S Only.
    zihuatanejo likes this.
  14. zihuatanejo

Ah, of course, I forgot that the CPU itself has to support it. Thanks for pointing that out :)
  15. websterx01

@zihuatanejo Don't forget about clustering! Imagine a cluster (such as a beowulf) running these for a PA server!

Edit: I actually have no idea how the performance would turn out since clustering can't make use of the same kind of resources, but still!
  16. fuzzels

fuzzels Member

Nice vids :)

Remember to just keep them running and announce them, they will then also automatically pop up on:
    http://planet.unfix.org/paservers/

Currently there are 4 servers available (though two run outdated PA....)
  17. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

interesting, cola hasn't updated his phantom server :O
  18. mikeyh

mikeyh Post Master General