LAN games

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by ntjedi, February 23, 2015.

1. ntjedi

ntjedi New Member

I was excited to see LAN games work, but wondering how the licensing works for a LAN environment. For example if I wish to setup a game with my five brothers would that require we spend $150.oo or $30.oo?? I'm asking because some LAN gaming for all of us only requires one purchase the same as buying a movie dvd and us watching at home, yet other LAN gaming requires the $150.oo the same as each of us buying a ticket at the movie theatre.

I didn't come here to debate or complain... just wondering what's the scenario for this game. I tried searching the forums, yet no luck or I wasn't using the correct search words.
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Technically you need only one copy of PA. Legally, I dunno what Uber asks for, though I am sure they realize that it is unrealistic that everyone on a random lan will have PA. Ofc if people like PA make sure to recommend it to them, I am sure the next big sale isn't far away ;)
    When you start PA simply do not login at all to play lan. Make sure everyone has entered a different name into the login field.
    Last edited: February 23, 2015
    warrenkc, Nicb1 and igncom1 like this.
  3. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Also make sure your all on the same subnet. If you have some machines on WiFi and others on wired lan they won't see each other... Although there is a small mod that can fix that.
  4. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

well, uber advertises DRM-free, so I'm pretty sure they are perfectly happy with it being 1 copy to 5 friends on a lan. You just can't do multiplayer on uber servers.
    warrenkc likes this.
  5. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

as it should be
    cwarner7264 and websterx01 like this.
  6. nixtempestas

I agree, it's the best balance between openness and IP security.
  7. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

8. nixtempestas

Intellectual Property security.

in other words, protecting the ideas of creators so that they may rightly benefit from them. The classic example is the patent.
  9. cola_colin

10. fuzzels

fuzzels Member

Only closed environments use IPSec, unless you are an XBox One....

IPSec is something 'magic' that does not scale as the PKI for it does not exist. Microsoft solves this with Direct Access though, but that requires all hosts that play along to be in the same Windows Domain. OpenSWAN does have opportunistic encryption, but that only helps if you trust that the other side is really the other side as you do not know the other side's crypto details there is no way to check that they are really them and not something in the middle.

Due to deployment (read: IPsec behind NAT and also many many firewalling everything but port 80/443 away), IPsec lost it from TLS... :(
  11. cola_colin

I didn't say I prefer IPsec over other security techniques. However I prefer dealing with the technical IPsec and not the lawyer IPsec. ;)