[POLL] Paid Add-on DLC

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by killerkiwijuice, February 24, 2015.

?

Would you buy a DLC for PA?

1. yes

80 vote(s)
    55.9%
  2. no

48 vote(s)
    33.6%
  3. depends on date of release

15 vote(s)
    10.5%
  1. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

This thread might be slightly biased on the official PA forums but it's worth an opinion.

Personally I would love an add-on DLC at this point. Although I highly recommend it's made far down the road because I still don't consider the game complete.

A few brainstorms:
    • New game modes
    • Completely re-done orbital mechanics and gameplay (actual motherships, fighters, etc., like Homeworld but not as complicated or in-depth of course.)
    • Lifeforms besides plants, like NPC creatures randomly roaming the planet that may or may not affect gameplay
    • more?
  2. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Yes please!

It could be anywhere from a small scripted campaign delving into the lore, to a large expansion pack including either more units, or perhaps a new faction!
    Chemdude8 likes this.
  3. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

If Uber does something like what you suggested then they should NOT label it DLC. I was talking about this a while back to some friends as a way to remedy the issue of all the PA hate/outdated reviews.

Uber first needs to get PA into a good condition before they do this though, or they could face a lot of rage from a community claiming that they should have done this in the first place and that they are going for a cash grab.

Once this is done Uber should work on an expansion. Yes expansion NOT dlc. This would result in reviews re reviewing the game hance likely better sales and reception as well. an expansion if released at the right time could be Ubers saving grace, due to it resulting likely in many reviews that take all of PA's updated content into account.
    EdWood, pieman2906, Geers and 8 others like this.
  4. duncane

duncane Active Member

I agree that the term dlc is not well liked. Expansion would be nice but typically needs a lot more work. If this is about Uber having dollars to keep working on PA then I would prefer to see more things appearing in the armory such as short campaigns, reskins of units, new units that don't significantly effect gameplay, new biomes etc.

Fyi I voted yes.
  5. Zaphys

Zaphys Well-Known Member

Agree with @duncane , more cash for Uber will come from further polish and future sales together with a better use of the armory (make owing a commander skin more attactive, closely linked to the missing player profile feature AND add cosmetic items that can be purchased and others that are obtained from ranked play and achievements).

I also agree with @nicb1 in that an expansion will be best for the future public image of PA. Think of it this way: if content is going to come into the game eventually it would be ideal for it to happen in a way that reverts the current not-so-positive image of PA. Expansion or otheriwse, I think it has to be done somehow. I'd rather wait for key features and find them all in a future expansion.
  6. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

No - Any DLC that can divide the community is a terrible idea.
    New game modes, a paid update for balance and call it orbital? NPCs that roam the planet? that just sounds like removing wonderful supplemental features of the game just for DLC.

The Commanders skins are the only DLC that i would go for because they dont affect the game in any real meaningful way

I also wonder what the stats are for people purchasing commanders, I personally would be buying a lot more if the price was 1 or 2$...not 5 or 10$ :eek:
    Bgrmystr2 likes this.
  7. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

"Society", which is responsible for good sales for Call of Duty and stupid stuff like that, puts a negative light on DLC.

Since when do we care about these mountain dew drinking know-nothings? PA is just too complicated for them and isn't generally firing a gun at somebody like stupid call of duty is. That is REALLY why it gets negative ratings.

Why people say they rate PA badly:
    -Missing features
    -Boring gameplay
    -Bad balance
    -Cost
    -Microtransactions

Why people REALLY rate PA badly:
    -Ign wasn't bribed
    -Poor research (one could say it was correct at release but when it was in fact kept to word that it was added they became wrong and now they are too stubborn to admit it or update the review and hide behind policy on it)
    -Wasn't a generic mainstream game or genre.
    -As an installment of an old genre, old genre players are too stuck in their ways on their specific 10 year invested game, such as FA or FAF...
    -People ignore mods, despite being the same arsehats that cite mods when reviewing Minecraft.
    -Kickstarter projects started being sketchy and people contribute one kickstarter failure into "Everything Kickstarter is Evil".
    -People blindly follow the first words they hear on a subject with no backbone or personal research. People that cite the first crud they hear is just like an echo chamber of the not-bribed Ign...

Because seriously, when savegame feature is finished within a month from now, the state of this game will be acceptably priced for a complete featured game. You can say orbital doesn't work, but you would be a liar sir and idrc what you argue because Treyarch claims their game is done when 70% of the weapon options are junk filler wrong-choices and placebo attachments and you let them get away with that. The entire game works up to that point. I don't see how any of those claims then hold ground without some stubborn side-stepping the issue with petty dodges about release and bla bla.

Not that any of this is directed at that quote. Just using that statement about "general opinions of DLC" as an example for that rant... I just wish people who weren't actual gamers weren't allowed to rate games. Call of duty players aren't gamers, that is hardly a game. Ign is more of a business than a game, they don't play games either, they start and operate a game for the sake of listing some details about it, then write other details that they include for an agenda, that is actually what they do and so they aren't gamers either. Gamers actually play games based on exploring entertainment options, so that the relative hell?
    Bsport likes this.
  8. Sleeser

Sleeser Active Member

mmm the only dlc id buy would be skins for units, such as units skin packs or individual unit skin, so i can customize my army and make it slightly different then others... but that's it i don't think that dlc that changes the actual gameplay will be good because it will be only on the single player or if the host has the dlc then everyone can "use" it,
    so yea thats a problem.
  9. elvisior

elvisior Member

I love the game.. I'd be happy if they followed the NBA 2012/2013/2014 model and just released a new one each year (as long as they kept improving it like they do)....
  10. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

I´d appreciate it more if Uber would simply do a second try on Human Resources...
    ...those 20$ for PA were so much worth it, I have to throw some money at Uber! :D
  11. maxcomander

maxcomander Active Member

I love rts expantion packs as most of you know already (see my old posts). I love pa and it has become my goto rts off choice. But if I'm brutally honest..Ive played it to death (some 400houres at least) and I've moved on. I've even taken to not playing it for long periods purposely just so when I do it feels like its an expansion pack. I'm looking for a knew rts to get me fired up about my favourite genre but there's nothing out there that touches pa or supcom. Really want either a big expantion for pa or anew ip on the same scale, but with human resources cancelled and etherium Mia, things don't look good right now. I'd kickstart a big super expantion unit expantion pack in a hartbeet, or new game ie pa2.
    Last edited: February 24, 2015
  12. knub23

knub23 Active Member

I would buy a DLC or expansion pack with new factions. Human resources already had concept art for a faction. Balance in PA is finally getting there, so the "design" guys could start with concepts for a new playable faction.

Or use the units we have now as a starting point for the 4 factions we have in galactic war and give them some personality. A lot of people like single player and different factions could attract players and give Galactic War more charm.
  13. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

I'd also like to say that if there is a paid DLC in the future, I'd like the kickstarter backers (maybe from the base $20, maybe from $100, idk) to receive the DLC without payment, the average pledge was around $50, and some folks pledged an exorbitant amount of money.
  14. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

15. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

i have no interest in homeworld or star trek -style spacecombat for pa orbital neither do i care for random planet npc's

new modes depends on size

factions are overated imo ...

unitskins? ... meh ...

what generaly matters to me is that orbital is fluid and dynamic enough that planetivasions are fairly possible .. that doesn't mean easy ...

personal prefference hovercraftset with own hovercraftfactory at t2 ...

teleporters for naval and orbital ..
    doud and theseeker2 like this.
  16. Going4Quests

Going4Quests Active Member

I'd buy a real scripted story campaign! :D
  17. GoodOak

GoodOak Active Member

I want to see a major expansion pack like CC or FA. Not a full on sequel, but halfway there. Planetary Annihilation 1.5.

Speaking of What's Next? .... Uber has been very quiet lately...
    Nicb1 likes this.
  18. tommybananas

tommybananas Active Member

Definitely would by an expansion for pa:) i wouldn't mind seeing some new mechanics added to the game or just a crap load of more units:) maybe something to give the galactic war factions individualiry? Complete reskins for their unit and building set per faction:) would be a great stepping stone for the nodding community to play around with making asemetrical balanced factions with unique units :p
  19. Bgrmystr2

Bgrmystr2 Active Member

DLC tends to be too little in content and too much for cost. A full-fledged expansion on the other hand..

If PA was finalized with absolutely everything many are waiting for and the only thing left were add-ons, then an expansion would be viable at that point. I can see myself buying an expansion. I do not see myself buying DLC. I'm also completely supportive of the commander DLC we have now as they're not in any way able to change the gameplay for anyone at all. Visual only is great DLC for a game like this. Perhaps Uber, or even some of the users around might give DLC texture pack a try sometime way down the line. That kind of thing can easily make a name for itself in the game store and it would even be a viable option for players who prefer a different art style.
    Last edited: February 25, 2015
    nateious likes this.
  20. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

An expansion is DLC! Rrrrgh..

I'm sorry it's just- You download an expansion, come on... >.<
    tommybananas likes this.