Mod Market

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tatsujb, February 23, 2015.

1. goofyz3

goofyz3 Active Member

CS is something else then the mods I see on PAMM. If there is such a mod witch makes the game better and is that huge I will pay for it off course
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

I see this as fundamentally a communication and pricing issue. Proper communication of the scope/intent and fair pricing will go a long way to correcting things. Not to mention that if UBer does do something along these lines they will be incentivizing themselves to do good by it, doing things that only Uber are in a position to do like marketing and engine updates/additions.

If this happens it won't be easy, it'll be an uphill battle but the tools and skills are at hand, the only tricky bit comes down to the execution IMO.

Mike
  3. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

*sigh*

Encrypting that stuff makes it DRM protected in legal terms, but that's just it. Nothing more. There is no way of preventing users from just decrypting the container with the key they intercepted (or extracted from memory), converting the container back into an unencrypted folder, which then can be shared without any limitations.

What does work, is having signed licenses for mods, which allows them to be played on the Uberent servers without the game getting flagged as custom content.

However you can in no way limit the use of any IP outside the Uberent managed server environment. Even trying is just wasted effort as it always can and will be bypassed.
    tatsujb likes this.
  4. nateious

nateious Active Member

I dunno, if given the alternative, I would have dropped $50 bucks for MechWarrior: Living Legends to continue development rather than get microtransactioned to death in MW:O
    cwarner7264 and Pendaelose like this.
  5. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

I don't think standard payments really fit for mods but I don't see anything wrong with a donate system.

KSP mods got donation options on at least some of them. Can't be that useless.

I can't see myself asking anyone to pay for my mods, but if people want to donate in recognition of hard work and ongoing support, who am I to say no?
  6. devoh

devoh Well-Known Member

just my $0.02.. I don't like the idea of paying for mods.. but I'm totally ok with the idea of some paid DLC (not sure what that would be..) I guess buying the commanders is already a type of paid DLC.
  7. Ksgrip

Ksgrip Active Member

Just to note, insulting others work is nothing more than pathetic.
    If you ares such a well acknowledged person please make your OWN mod and prove us that it is worth or not the money. Anyone chose were to spend his money, even if it is not worthy of your standars. I´m not going to start a discussion about what is a flop or not, but I clearly see you haven´t played those mods, especially the american conquest one.
    I ought you to leave this thread before it scalates, and say sorry to what you said to squishy.
    stuart98 likes this.
  8. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

how was that an insult? I said that most players wouldn't think squishy's mod is worth paying for, that's not an insult, that's just how most mods are - most people wouldn't buy them.
  9. KNight

In the system as put forth it would be like paying for DLC.

Mike
    Last edited: February 23, 2015
  10. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

I'd pay for a better galactic war :^)
  11. JWest

JWest Active Member

I just want an intuitive in-game method of downloading them. At the moment there are a number of mods I'd like to download, but I have no idea where to get them...

People have mentioned the PA mod market, but I don't know where it is or how to find it. I haven't seen any links to download mods in any of the mod threads and no instructions on how to install them.

So those who aren't tech savvy probably think mods don't even exist at the moment.
  12. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

You can find the link to PAMM in my sig, there is also a sticky in one of the mod forums for it.

I really want at least a link in the main menu of the game though.
    JWest likes this.
  13. kayonsmit101

kayonsmit101 Active Member

I'm all for a uber made mod download thingamajig in game. I have neither the technical nor legal knowledge to comment on selling mods but after how adamant some modders have been about people trying out there versions of the game, id think they would benefit from not putting a price on there mod. But as @KNight said earlier, there probably isn't a black or white solution for selling mods... shades of grey... 50 of em.
  14. KNight

So I'm noticing a bit of a trend. How about this> People who don't like the idea of mods being sold in any way/shape/form/, can you expand upon what kind of mods you feel would end up being monetized should such a system as you see it be put into place? Bonus point if you explain why you think said mods would be monetized as well.

Mike
    lokiCML likes this.
  15. JWest

JWest Active Member

Thanks for the info. And yeah, at least some kind of link in the main menu of the game would be helpful.
  16. kayonsmit101

kayonsmit101 Active Member

I only said that because I know a lot of people hate the pay for content stuff. But honestly if it's a dope mod (in my opinion most every mod I see I like) I'd gladly pay for it! If that also goes to them continuing work on it, why not sell it? I guess it would depend on the price, and if it would continue to be updated as a lot of the mods on pamm don't even work anymore. I would not be happy if I payed and then it was inoperable after a short while. If there was legal language put in place stating that a modder selling a mod is obligated to make sure it would continue to run I'd see no problem. But who would enforce this?

Edit: misread, sorry :) I think most of the mods could potentially be sold honestly.
  17. KNight

This is not about "could" but what you think is going to be the be the case. IT sounds like a small distinction but it does affect the point I might be able to make. ;p

Mike
    kayonsmit101 likes this.
  18. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

well, you know.....
    upload_2015-2-23_21-15-22.jpeg

as long as there are discouragements I'd rather have that than nothing. then, I guess hope people don't find it worth the effort to share decrypted mods.
  19. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

And that's the second point. Break the encryption once, and it is broken for all of them. Once the decryption is scripted, it means game over.

This type of DRM has just no effect, all it does is punishing the LEGIT customers who now have to deal with the implications of DRM. The "other type" of customers remains entirely unaffected and has even the abilitie to modify the mod even further - an option which is now denied to legit customers.
  20. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

well what about just simply appliying PA's DRM to the mods in mod market?