Make Commander immune to falling out of astraeus

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by andrehsu, February 23, 2015.

1. andrehsu

andrehsu Active Member

If the commander can survive falling from space at mach 10 when he spawns, shouldn't the commander fall to the ground when his astraeus is shot instead of him blowing up? Logically, it doesn't make much sense, since the commander drops onto the ground with so much force that there is a nuke effect, shouldn't he be able to survive the drop from a astraeus? Also this way it makes it so that the commander isn't like a piece of paper, where one avenger can kill the commander.
    elvisior, DalekDan and Planktum like this.
  2. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

would make the astraeus op
  3. ace902902

ace902902 Active Member

that kind of makes sense. how about some damage based on weather it was from orbit or from air.
    DalekDan likes this.
  4. andrehsu

andrehsu Active Member

How would it make the astraeus op? And when the commander is on the ground, it has 13000 hit points, but in orbit, all it takes is an avenger? The only place where I think commander falling should retain its current behavior would be on gas giants, because they commander will just fall into the abyss and die.
    eroticburrito, DalekDan and Planktum like this.
  5. iacondios

iacondios Active Member

Probably for the same reason that Pelicans can't carry the Commander anymore, I'd guess. Balancing rapid commander transport.
  6. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

The commander is within a pod, known as the egg, though?

The astreus used to be much beefier when originally introduced, but it was considered op iirc.
    kayonsmit101 likes this.
  7. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

The astraeus was half the com hp, the com could fire from it, and the astraeus was able to move along the air layer exactly like a pelican.

It was basically like a commander suit that turned the unit into Gundam Zero.

Right now, I wouldn't mind if the astraeus is destroyed, to drop the commander and do 2/3 his health worth of damage. Meaning a kill if he has lost more than 1/3 health.

Or, for creative tactic sake, make a vanguard survive a fall with 500hp. Make any other unit die, and the commander take that 2-3k damage upon falling. Still a big deal, but vanguard drops are powerful yet health-softened variants.
    eroticburrito and DalekDan like this.
  8. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

because it means there'd be no risk carrying the commander via astraeus
  9. andrehsu

andrehsu Active Member

Then make the commander take a little bit of damage. There is already other burdens associated with astraeus,add they take more time, and in the current stable build, everyone can see it in transfer.
  10. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

When it is destroyed, should be commander fall, or be stuck in orbit unable to move?
    bengeocth likes this.
  11. andrehsu

andrehsu Active Member

Fall to the ground, so that land units will have to come in, instead of making it a easy kill. Kind of like how search parties look for ejected pilots.
    Planktum and thetrophysystem like this.
  12. nateious

nateious Active Member

What happens when the commander lands on impassable terrain, like a mountain or lava, or a gas giant?
    forrestthewoods likes this.
  13. someonewhoisnobody

someonewhoisnobody Well-Known Member

Gas giant = insta death
    Lava = insta death

I dunno about the mountain.

Nor do I know how hard it would to check these conditions
  14. bluestrike01

bluestrike01 Active Member

The commanders landing is a bit contradicting, nothing would survive a fall from space, so its a controlled landing (drop pod)
    But then there is a huge explosion hinting otherwise.
    The explosion is just a reason to have an area cleared of trees for balance purpose, and it looks kewl :)

If you shoose to move a high value cargo with a weak transport, there should be consequences :p
  15. nateious

nateious Active Member

I dunno, with lava, I think I'd rather watching the commander sink and the health slowly drop down to 0, giving me time to shout I'M MELTING, MELTINGGGGG would be better.

But that was kind of my point, there would have to be checks for a number of conditions, because there are a number of places a commander surviving a drop would cause problems.
    stuart98 and tatsujb like this.
  16. kayonsmit101

kayonsmit101 Active Member

But we have the cool orbital/air commander explosion...

The astraeus shouldn't be the main form of transporting the commander anyways, only select situations. Otherwise teleport that oh so valuable unit.
    MrTBSC likes this.
  17. goofyz3

goofyz3 Active Member

Yeah its better to teleport because the orbital radar sees everything and you give away your position. Or you like to mess with someone.
    Like transporting it to a planet and then teleport back lol
  18. Sleeser

Sleeser Active Member

why just not damage the comm when he's being shot while being carried by an astraeus then when the comm dies so does the astraeus....
  19. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

How?
  20. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

I'm thinking maybe the current behavior could be okay, but we need a visible notification like the idle fabbers UI which displays that your commander is currently in an astreus. Under it you would have an unload button only click able when currently hovering over acceptable terrain (I.e. not Gas Giants, Lava, etc). This would mean you don't forget about him once he has arrived at his destination. The death of my commander in an astreus usually happens because I forgot to unload him.