Space travel change

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by jamesw100, February 22, 2015.

1. jamesw100

jamesw100 Member

Orbital units should not be able to travel between planets. They need a rocket to get into their orbit and move incredibly slowly. It doesn't make sense that they can whiz around the solar system and quickly switch between air and orbit. They are like satellites.

Interplanetary fighters are very cool. Why not make all interplanetary units air units? Just move the astraeus to the air factory, add a UFO gunship to the advanced factory and it's all good.

What do you think?
  2. enderdude

enderdude Member

i would just be fine with a Tier 2 orbital factory, the orbital launcher is just a way to get into space, while the factory builds a couple offensive/defensive, but adding a T2 avenger would be awesome, i cant deal with these new anchors, theyre too OP >->
  3. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

T2 orbital factory is the one orbital fabricators build. ;P
    Planktum likes this.
  4. nick2k

nick2k Active Member

Not a fan of this idea. Would make breaking players solo on planets even harder then it already is.
    Planktum likes this.
  5. enderdude

enderdude Member

i know that :/ i shoulda just stated that we need T2 Avengers, it takes at least 50 avengers to take out an anchor, and its kindof hard to get bluehawks in there to take them out
  6. jamesw100

jamesw100 Member

Could you elaborate?
  7. nick2k

nick2k Active Member

I feel like I'm misreading your post. Do you mean orbital units that are already deployed should not move planet to planet, like the fabber, satellite, avenger, sxx?
  8. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

generaly disagree with this ... it would limit orbital even more as it is and makebit far less dynamic ... another issue would be again traveltimes ... you don't want to wait 20 minutes where your opponent can setup his defenses and own army before your wave has even arrived
  9. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Er.... Getting off the ground is the hardest part. Once you're in orbit life is a lot easier.
  10. superouman

superouman Post Master General

The robots in PA are the most advanced being in their universe. They found ways to whiz around the solar system and quickly switch between air and orbit in a way it makes sense for them. But we humans are just tiny and primitive meat bags and we can't fathom the way their technology works, just deal with it.
  11. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

*once you are out of the grav well
  12. davostheblack

davostheblack Well-Known Member

If speedy planet-to-planet transport is an issue, then teleporters must just melt your mind
    kayonsmit101 and Geers like this.
  13. jamesw100

jamesw100 Member

Guys, it's not about realism or balance. It's about what looks and feels cool. It doesn't seem cool that a derpy satellite that moves at 1 mile per hour can suddenly go ayy lmao.

Yep. And there would be more air units that can travel through space like phoenixes. The astraeus would become an air unit.
  14. davostheblack

I didn't realise we were considering the cool factor! How about EVERYTHING is flashing neon-disco balls and ultra-swag, and every bot is like a MEGACOOL ROBO-LASER-DINOSAUR??

But in all seriousness, go study some orbital mechanics and you'll see how little rockets actually play in planet-to-planet transport, most of it is swinging around other planets for gravitational sling-shots, and THAT is genuinely cool.
  15. nick2k

nick2k Active Member

I get all of my space knowledge from playing KSP :p I agree it is kinda weird how some of the very slow moving orbital units go from turtle speed to jack rabbit when moving to a different planet, but at the current speed some systems take a long time to travel planet to planet. The annihilaser system, the one with 2 metal planets, for example.
  16. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

**Once you are out of the atmosphere.

Without wind resistance, your speed doesn't decay. Wind is what makes you decelerate for no apparent reason. The giant rocket that takes you out the atmosphere, would be plenty to travel between planets if you ever played KSP, as long as you stay outside of atmospheres.
  17. davostheblack

PLEASE tell me you mean that only in the context of KSP...
  18. Diaboy

Diaboy Active Member

I'm not sure I like the idea of adding a mechanic to complicate interplanetary travel, but I would like to see the transition from orbital-interplanetary-orbital to be smoother, rather than instantaneous velocity change!
  19. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

No, orbital decay is minute compared to atmospheric drag, and the amount of thrust between planetary bodies may be exaggerated a bit (kerbal distance is still short compared to actual distance by a small margain), but that is just about how it works.

Besides, what do you mean "leave a gravity well"? You NEVER REALLY leave a gravity well. You always are in the influence of some sort of gravity. When you are on earth, you are still slightly affected by moon gravity, it affects the tides. When on the moon, you are still technically within the earth's gravity. When you leave the far reaches of earth gravity, you are in gravity influence of the sun. and that goes on for 12 or 20 jupiter units or something? I forget which. But in lamen's terms, the sun's influence goes to the distance of Pluto, then the distance from the sun to pluto PAST pluto, then even FARTHER. I mean, it eventually only has the force of a toddler at it's far end, but that is a really large distance reguardless of how soft the force, and it is usually enough force to keep a variety of random junk floating in a constant circle (more usually some roundabout ellipsis or whatever, but it takes like 300+ years to make the trip around anyway so who cares?).
    Diaboy likes this.