PTE build 79270-pte now up

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by jables, February 16, 2015.

1. elodea

elodea Post Master General

Personally love the energy changes. This build is absolutely right in addressing both relative energy efficiencies and factory spam. Such simple changes on the surface, but affect the game deeply by significantly changing timings and tradeoffs. One of the positive results being t2 land viability due to t1 fabber viability. Commander is also free to walk around and be a super soldier if you want, instead of having to build spam and minimise walk distance or risk falling behind.

Slightly torn about the mex cost increase to 200 though. It definitely feels nice to be metal capped for a change, but on the other hand there is the matter of ocd when it comes to being able to perfectly balance metal and energy. Mex at 200 seems to put build orders in a weird spot where it seems you need fractional ammounts of fabricators to get a good balanced eco between metal and energy. Either that or i totally forgot how to play these low eco games like in the beta/gamma days.

For example in the current stable build we see 2 mex fabbers, 1 pgen fabber pretty much perfectly balancing out. In pte it seems to be somewhere between 3 or 4 fabbers on metal, and commander building pgens on demand as required, kind of like an unstable machine that constantly requires your attention. Could be wrong on this though, there's gotta be a solution to this puzzle..

The walls are kinda annoying since you can't shoot over them with grenadiers anymore, nor can you do manual attack target. They are an insane force multiplier. I would suggest reducing wall hp by a bit, which also means repairing them with combat fabbers will cost you something material. Or even cost energy to absorb damage (though that doesn't seem possible currently)
    Remy561, Tripod27, mayhemster and 3 others like this.
  2. mayhemster

mayhemster Well-Known Member

I don't think metal and power is going to be perfectly balanced now without constant adjustment of build queues - thats not a bad thing at all.
    cdrkf and elodea like this.
  3. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

I think the commander storage upgrade makes it perfectly manageable but i didn't test every map yet. Before the storage increase i think it was already manageable now it just got easier and i find it work really well.
    mered4 likes this.
  4. drboggles

drboggles Active Member

Awesome. This should hopefully make new players expand rather than turtle up.

I don't agree with this one. Considering how much effort has to go already into protecting your metal. Especially with the nerf to the comm's Eco.

While I can see this being good for nerfing comm snipes, I still dont agree with it. Bumblebee was perfectly fine where it was at. However, It is nice to see its more effective against DOX groups now.

Good god no. Stop. Fix the problem with Drag Queuing not spacing the jigs out enough to where they don't domino first.

Awesome. I don't agree with all these "Walls should consumer power"due to the fact that you already get screwed over by losing Radar, and build effeincy when you lose power as it is. We don't need a triple wammy.

Awesome! Now you have to be a bit smarter when doing Inferno Pelican drops.

Overall, an interesting patch, but I really am not sure how I feel about the changes to the eco.
  5. optimi

optimi Well-Known Member

Could we get toggelable walls so we can let units pass through walled off based?
    pieman2906 and zweistein000 like this.
  6. burntcustard

burntcustard Post Master General

That could come from them using energy (even if it's just a tiny bit, or, well, zero, but lets ignore that because it doesn't support my argument). So I think walls using energy could be cool :)
    Remy561, optimi and cdrkf like this.
  7. FSN1977

FSN1977 Active Member

Why increase the energy drain, you removed it some builds ago. This makes for a slow build up.
  8. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

Just played some PTE and the eco changes are manageable. If you go like 1 factory and 2 or 3 pgens you should be good. I'm wondering how it'll effect new players since its a bit more harder to get the eco more stable now.

About the mines:
    I think they work well on 1v1 games however i'm not sure about it when you play big games like 10 player ffa. Shellers and sniperbots wil takeout an army with skitters before they get in range. and if they do get in range you probably lost a a lot of skitters which makes your army blind again. It gets really hard to actually invade a base. I think radar should be able to see em maybe again? since the radar got nerfed you don't have vision over someone else his base so mines as a base defense strats are actually still viable.

I like the bomber change. It makes it harder to take out mexes which make air dominance less important. Still got some thoughts about the fighter but I have to test it out.
  9. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

If you weren't arguing that walls should use energy before I cannot fathom why you are arguing it now. Because the model changed? For reals?
    mered4, stuart98 and igncom1 like this.
  10. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Personally the new model spurred the idea, I think it could be interesting that's all....
  11. elodea

elodea Post Master General

Because there is now no longer any way to shoot over them.
  12. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

The first request was within one hour of the PTE being posted. Not a chance.
  13. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Well by now they found a valid reason. Having artillery not being able to shoot over walls is weird.
    Unless they change the visible height of the walls or make them actually have some form of shield-like "dome".
  14. frostsatir

frostsatir Active Member

I don't like eco changes in new PTEs. People should fight for metal spots and try expand faster at start.New patch not solve any eco issues.PTE about "How we can stuck players at start? It's all.

I don't love "Commander eco" like a many other players,but you are trying to go with wrong way.

My suggestions:
    1)Reduce metal cost for mex from 200 to 100,HP from 1000 to 500.Reduce metal cost for energy plants from 400 to 300, HP from 1000 to 750.
    2) Reduce comm's metal production from 20 to 10.
  15. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

So, nothing at all can fire over walls? Weird...make it so only artillery/long range units, and grenadiers can fire over them, boom. Grenadiers useful again.
  16. frostsatir

frostsatir Active Member

t2 eco could be revise after this changes too...
  17. Corang

Corang Well-Known Member

I have an idea, make it look like walls produce and consume 1 energy but don't actually enable or disable during an energy stall, this way we satisfy those who like them how they are and those who want them to use energy.
  18. jamiem

jamiem Active Member

Seems like grenadiers need to be able to fire over the new walls...
    drz1 likes this.
  19. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

Let me see you build a bunker while being shelled with mortars. building temporary reinforcements is one thing, but building them while your actually under attack is a different story. You set up reinforcements in preparation for an attack, not during it.
    Last edited: February 19, 2015
    Tripod27 likes this.
  20. lizard771

lizard771 Well-Known Member

Which makes you lose. Where's the problem?