Feature request: orbital EMP nuke

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by philoscience, February 18, 2015.

?

Do you agree an orbital EMP nuke should be added?

1. Yes

70.0%
  2. No

30.0%
  1. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

Cool, thanks for registering your opinion.
  2. Diaboy

Diaboy Active Member

I'm not really a pro player or anything like that so I might be totally wrong, so feel free to interject. Although it would be cool, I struggle to see how any kind of EMP or unit stunning would be of use, at all, in PA's popcorn unit balance. If you have singular, powerful units (aka. spiderbot vs krogoth) then it makes sense but from my limited playtime of PA, that seems almost never the case.

However, I would like to be able to target the orbital layer independently with nukes. That would be handy.
  3. drboggles

drboggles Active Member

I really don't see the need for something like this. It sounds cool, and I'm all for new features, but the practical use for this for the cost just doesn't seem logical. If it cant be targeted by Anti Nukes, then its extremely OP because now anti nuke defenses are a waste of an investment. If it can be, then you're better off just spamming nukes instead until one gets through.
    MrTBSC likes this.
  4. philoscience

Sounds like these issues can be fixed by letting an anti-nuke target it and decreasing the cost. It's an alternative to building 1k avengers to try and wipe out someone's orbital turtle. Instead you can build half as many, send the EMP nuke, and then wipe them out with an invasion. I feel orbital invasions are still quite unwieldy and this would make them more manageable and fun.
  5. philoscience

I think you missed the point about this being an EMP for the orbital layer only. Where there are very tank buildings like anchors.
  6. drboggles

drboggles Active Member

Or they could just add in more orbital units. As it stands, Orbital battles are pretty bland because there really isn't much to them other than mass avenger blobs.

It would be the same thing if the only land unit you could build was the Bolo and THAT was it.
    Tripod27 likes this.
  7. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

same principal ... if you can just so easily circumvent defenses there is no point in building them .. gas giant play particulary would be even more volatile ..
  8. Diaboy

Diaboy Active Member

Ah, I see, my bad.

Okay, that makes a bit more sense to me but I'm still not sure about it...! I agree that there is definitely an issue there though. I think some sort of long ranged orbital unit would help. Not sure why I'm so reserved about the topic though so I can't add anything more useful to the discussion unfortunately; sorry about that.
  9. doomrater

doomrater Active Member

Think about what nukes are currently used for- enemy builds antinukes so you nuke a spot that doesn't have coverage, typically some place that has orbital defenses that was otherwise preventing you from having a foothold on the enemy planet. EMP does the same job cheaper in TA. Also it'd help if we could EMP orbital stuff. Imagine the chaos of losing your eco for a few minutes...!
  10. whisperr

whisperr Member

Yes! More weapons please :)