PTE build 79270-pte now up

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by jables, February 16, 2015.

1. wondible

wondible Post Master General

Stalling is based on your entire economy, so yes. But as it stands you could just turn off the consumption and get free energy ;^) (not much in this case)
  2. mgmetal13

mgmetal13 Active Member

You can still send troops over with a unit cannon, build a gate and invade with armies. That is still a very viable strategy. However, unlike vanilla, it is no longer the only viable strategy.
    mered4 likes this.
  3. doomrater

doomrater Active Member

> Uber changes wall model to reflect how much metal they actually consume to build
    > OMG THEY'RE SHIELDS NOW ASDFAHADSFADS

Such over-reaction.
    cdrkf likes this.
  4. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Bioluminescence.

Walls are covered in bacteria.
    drboggles and cola_colin like this.
  5. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

I'm not asking for realism but it just make sense to me that these walls should consume power albeit a tiny amount and this would add some depth to the gameplay aswell. Just my opinion.
    cdrkf likes this.
  6. skypheonix20

skypheonix20 Member

Nano-bot barriers
  7. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

That's not depth. That's unnecessary complexity. Adding a single layer of *depth* is the same as giving your term paper a larger font spacing so it's longer. Sure it's in the rules, but we all know it's complete BS.
  8. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Being able to shut down an opponents defenses by targeting their energy production sounds like an interesting idea imo. The defense walls should require minimal power (or even be power neutral providing what they use), and should not be manually toggalable.
  9. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

Told you this would happen.
  10. cdrkf

A bit over dramatic don't you think?

The new art looks great, and when looking at them it isn't a big stretch to consider they could operate like this :p

Is it a high priority, urgent thing? No. Still what's the harm thinking about it? In all honesty it's unlikely this would get added into the game quickly, as it would require Uber to script the functionality (I don't think anything else really works like this in game currently). Still, making them 'energy barriers' could be fun and certainly fits the lore, might be a nice future addition at any rate.
    nlaush and philoscience like this.
  11. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

No. Static defenses should not require energy to run, be they walls or otherwise. Good lord. They are self-sustaining.
  12. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

In RCBM the defensive laser towers draw power - that made for some really interesting playstyles.
    Planktum, philoscience and cdrkf like this.
  13. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

My goodness the cat really got out of the bag on this one...

If you don't like the new walls, mod in the old ones.
  14. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

Or mod in whatever new ones you want and leave the old ones alone?
  15. cdrkf

As they should imo. It's always been the case in TA, the stronger player is usually the one who manages their energy better. You can hold all the metal extractors you like, if you don't have the energy eco to back it up then you fail, hard.

Defenses were never free to run in TA, I don't get why people are so against the concept that defenses require energy?! It means your base *does have a target-able weak point*....
    nlaush and Planktum like this.
  16. cdrkf

The style of the new walls does give me idea- again this is longer term ideas here...

Maybe keep the old walls as 't1 wall' and make them block *everything* allied / enemy. Then you make this new wall t2, which has the 'friendly pass through' capability and potentially more health, but with an upkeep cost.

Again this would require additional work on Uber's part, but would make for an interesting mechanic.
    nlaush and Planktum like this.
  17. takfloyd

takfloyd Active Member

I like many of the ideas mentioned here, such as having 2 types of wall with the new one requiring energy (and maybe only being buildable by combat fabbers and T2 fabbers?).

I'm all for more depth and diversity. And I think one thing we can agree on is that leaving it as it is now is kind of unintuitive.

EDIT: @cdrkf, that's exactly the idea I was referring to, someone else already posted it...
    nlaush, cdrkf and Planktum like this.
  18. jamiem

jamiem Active Member

Power out, walls go down. Makes targeting the newly weakened power gens even more appealing.
    nlaush, cdrkf, Planktum and 1 other person like this.
  19. takfloyd

takfloyd Active Member

But how about this: With the power down, the base of the walls still blocks units, but enemies can now shoot through them.

This way your defenses aren't completely crippled by a power loss.
    cdrkf, Planktum and philoscience like this.
  20. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

The thing is, if your power is being destroyed, then they already got past you walls, or otherwise, you have more problems then walls would have solved anyway.
    nlaush likes this.