Is it possible to make custom features?

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by squishypon3, February 17, 2015.

1. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

I'd like to set up some sort of gas deposit, anybody have any idea if that would be possible?

@cola_colin I remember you being quite savvy when it comes to map generation.
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

One issue is you can't place features at fixed location. That is a missing feature. ;)
    Apart from that. Probably need a bit of papa modelling magic. No idea how to spell cast that.
  3. squishypon3

What does the editor use to place metal spots?

And the .papa I could do easily, but what I need to know is if it would be possible to make a feature that acts differently to a metal spot, so they can both exist at once. And a certain building can only be buildable on gas spots Things. =P
  4. cola_colin

Look into the pas file. Last I remember there is an array "metal_spots" with mex positions. Maybe that is hard coded to generate mex features on those locations.
    guest1 likes this.
  5. wondible

wondible Post Master General

Sounds doable with a few caveats:

- It will be randomly placed.
    - There are a limited number of feature types for defining special points, but there look to be two available.
    - You'll have to make a custom planet type, or hijack an existing feature
    - You mentioned gas - gas planets are defined by not having terrain, including features. If you make them (or a custom planet like gas) have terrain, I don't know what could happen, but they will certainly become just as CPU expensive to run as any other planet the same size.
    Last edited: February 18, 2015
    guest1 likes this.
  6. guest1

guest1 Active Member

I've done some experimenting with gas layers on custom biomes. Gas or sun layers are completely cosmetic, occur at a fixed height, and have no effect on unit pathing or the buildability of jigs. If you give a planet the no_terrain tag, the entire CSG (heightmap and brushes) will disappear and you will be able to build jigs.
  7. cola_colin

So you can make a planet that has a gas layer around it? Like a planet inside a nebula?
  8. squishypon3

What I mean by gas mines, is something like the gas deposits in total annihilation, in which you put a geothermal plant on top of them and harnessed the energy from the heat of the underground opened up by the hole, or the energy deposits in Supcom.
  9. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

If you get this to work, please let me know. I was told it wasn't possible, but if it does work, I'd like to see if I can add metal spots that look different for each planet...