Vehicles Feel too "Floaty" Missing Details

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by blightedmythos, February 12, 2015.

1. Diaboy

Diaboy Active Member

You misunderstand what I meant by 'faux' suspension, I perhaps didn't explain myself. By using animation, I meant using walking animations to animate the vehicle to make it look like it's going over rough ground - not by actually taking into account the terrain it is going over. Hence faux - it would look like its going over some sort of terrain, but not actually linked in any way to what it is driving over.

There might be something in using animation blending for acceleration/turning, but I imagine that is somewhat more involved, and I don't know if the animation tree is capable of that.

Would tracks need to be persistent? That would get very messy very quickly, surely.
    Last edited: February 13, 2015
    Tripod27 likes this.
  2. Bsport

Bsport Well-Known Member

As for no improvements to graphics in 10 months, You talking complete and utter ****. you put this game on max setting, and its beautiful, then a planet explodes you see the explosion light reflected in a gas giant, or how about this thread https://forums.uberent.com/threads/screenshot-wars.61975/ or this thread https://forums.uberent.com/threads/...13-for-jungle-mesatop-battle-05-02-2015.59464 yep definitely runescape quality graphics, or perhaps your running it on a fisher price PC and wonder why it looks bad.

10 months ago we didn't even have the Annihilazer and its epic animation and effects. or the sweet nuke effect we have now to name a few.

So if you going to sprout your bullshit views, please back it up with something thats least believable, hell, heres a helping hand.....Global chat should be native.
  3. davostheblack

davostheblack Well-Known Member

I'd like to see it, just to know what the engine can handle in those regards
  4. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Haha, okay.

Thats Alpha
    [​IMG]
    websterx01, igncom1, Remy561 and 5 others like this.
  5. blightedmythos

blightedmythos Active Member

Ok no graphical improvements may have been a bit of a hyperbole. There have been a few new effects added to a gun.

I am pretty sure TA had suspension? Someone else confirm? It can't be that cpu intensive if an old gane like ta could do it?
  6. blightedmythos

Love those metal textures. Are those the same used today?

Alpha was definitely before my time.
  7. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Yeah its the same texture, except there's also a 3d model representation above the metal spot (exactly the same as the texture only 3d)

In alpha metal spots didn't even work xD
  8. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Today the metal spots are full 3D models.
    xankar and squishypon3 like this.
  9. trilioth

trilioth Member

Gameplay vs Graphics. Gameplay... no contest. I don't even see what the units look like when I play. All I see is the strategic icons. That's a lot more discernible in a fast pasted real-time strategy war game. I don't care if my units are pretty. I want to the game to function well. PA is not ugly in the least. Sure. The biomes could have more diversity. But given the current diversity, players are still making systems and creating enough units to bring the servers to crawl.
    MrTBSC likes this.
  10. blightedmythos

The graphics are not good by any stretch of the imagination. I didn't buy the game for icon wars. I don't see the harm in pointing out issues that could be improved with the game. People working on programming aspects of the gane (often ganeplay) are sperate from artists working on models and effects. Tired of hearing people say gameplay is more important. They are often different devolopment cycles so that argument is invalid. We need to point out things that need work in the game so they get adressed. That's the point of suggestions.

I agree the gameplay also needs work. The current blob mechanics lack a lot of strategy and are pretty much action per minute based with light strategic mechanics. I would love to see that changed but that's a different thread you are more than welcome to make.
    Planktum likes this.
  11. GoodOak

GoodOak Active Member

PA could use a major game-wide Atmosphere pass for sure. There are a ton of areas that could use detail improvements like these. Personally, I'd like to see Uber pour any (hypothetical) efforts into a major expansion pack for PA. A great way to sell such a pack would be obvious visual improvements.
    blightedmythos likes this.
  12. lizard771

lizard771 Well-Known Member

No. Expansion. Packs. Thanks.
    MrTBSC and Planktum like this.
  13. GoodOak

GoodOak Active Member

Like Core Contingency or Forged Alliance? Didn't like those? Uh huh.
  14. temeter

temeter Well-Known Member

The only thing i think PA really needs in terms of a graphics is a pass over the effects. Explosions are pretty good (could convery a bit more impact), but muzzle-flash, projectiles and especially hit effects are still very basic and look like placeholders in some parts (sparks). Some improvements would help the feel of the game, and e.g. the new orbital platform's laser are already very promising.

Ofc i'd take Gameplay>Effects as a base line, but visuals adding more 'power' to battles would make the game more fun. Just watch those platforms zapping stuff. It's great.
    Planktum and ace63 like this.
  15. lizard771

lizard771 Well-Known Member

It doesn't really work well in Multiplayer. The (rather small) community would become split up.
    Planktum likes this.
  16. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Forged Alliance was the best thing to ever happen to the rather small multiplayer community of Supreme Commander. Well the 2nd best thing after GPGnet.
    xankar likes this.
  17. Diaboy

Diaboy Active Member

Tank trails.jpg
    I tried making a new string texture, but the way PA seems to deal with textures means it becomes a simple line from further away? I've probably just done something wrong. Anyway, doesn't look too bad really. I'm not sure its such a great thing performance wise though, as I set the trail to last 30 seconds - that's a lot of particles for a large army...

(also, facing: emitterZ doesn't seem to work for strings?)
    Last edited: February 15, 2015
    xankar, squishypon3, Tripod27 and 3 others like this.
  18. blightedmythos

I dunno I'd much rather an expansion pack than micro transaction commanders for $5. I agree weapon effects need work as well. I don't agree it's the ONLY thing it needs. Naval looks awful too for example (no ship trails, splashes, waves or ripples). I'd argue the whole game needs an effect polish pass.
    ace63 likes this.
  19. Tripod27

Tripod27 Active Member

Go to PAMM and download every visual mod they got, a lot of the stuff you're asking for has already been modded in
  20. doud

doud Well-Known Member

This week-end i retried playing on My core i5/8gigs/gtx 560 TI (I usually on my core i7 / 32gigs/770gtx).
    And i really could not believe how big the performance improvement was. Even from a visual perspective PA is really impressive. Frankly, I have never played a RTS that much. Of course i would be more than happy to have additional visual effects, but to me PA has reached a state where all the things i was waiting for are in place and in good shape : ******* massive battles with tons of robots, tanks, arty, and there's no RTS bringing so much fun.
    MrTBSC and Planktum like this.