PTE build 78071 now up

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by jables, February 6, 2015.

1. drboggles

drboggles Active Member

jables y u do dis? ;_;
  2. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

That's a decision made by the backer who crafted the model, actually.
  3. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

do the backers get a share of the sales?
  4. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

Yes, they do.
  5. blightedmythos

blightedmythos Active Member

Every time I see even more resources wasted on commander models a part of me dies inside.
  6. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Uber was payed more than 100k $ by ~100 kickstarter backers so they would make commanders for them.
    One commander model is at minimum 1000$ payed to Uber already. Plus they get a little extra income from them through selling them, if the backers allow that.
    squishypon3, Zaphys, stuart98 and 7 others like this.
  7. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Those commanders are rewards for Kickstarter backers who pledged over $1000.
  8. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

Why? It is made by the artists of Uber, not the programmers which do all the feature work. So if the artists have no model to work on for now, they make a custom commander. And when the programmers require a new model they make it for them (The recently updated Anker).

So those guys making the custom commanders have no effect on the release time of saving or galactic war changes ;) And those commanders usually earn Uber and the backers money which makes it possible to work on the game longer, so its a win win ^^
  9. killerkiwijuice

They're actually not, the commanders that keep popping up in PTE builds and new updates are made by kickstarter backers.
  10. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

I know that the backers 'design' them, but the guys at Uber make the final model. Which is what I meant ;)
  11. killerkiwijuice

Oh, I thought these commanders were designed and modeled by them.

That's pretty phukin awesome to be able to pump out those models so quickly.
    Remy561 likes this.
  12. cola_colin

Did you really think anybody who pledges 1000$ also knows how to build model files for PA? xD
  13. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Knight does, doesn't he?
  14. killerkiwijuice

I was just trying to type something that makes up for my idiocy, I even tried searching for memes to fit my situation but couldn't find any good ones. So this reply was formed.
    squishypon3, stuart98, cdrkf and 3 others like this.
  15. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

Yes, the custom commanders are made by our artists, not by the backers. They work with the individual backers to come up with a design for the commander, usually based on images they supply us. We then work with the backer to make a custom commander that tries to capture the essence of the request (in a non copyright infringing result). ;)

I would like to note that many of our custom commanders are based on drawings or concepts from the backers themselves, and even models they themselves made (though still just as reference images).
    Remy561 likes this.
  16. blightedmythos

True but the artists resources could instead go to updating the planets, adding features and Much needed visual polish. Could also instead be used for new units, or even a new biome. Lifeless planets for example, is the most common thing that pops up on negative reviews so it's desperately needed.

No need for every backer to have a unquie commander just give them all access to the 93 unquie commanders Made thus far.

I'll leave it at that.
  17. killerkiwijuice

but... there is.

It was a promised feature for $1000 backers
  18. cola_colin

those 93 commanders are the ones you see pop in one by one now.
    What you are suggesting is basically Uber should scam the people who pledged them 1000$
    The ridiculous claims in some steam reviews about scamming suddenly would need to be viewn in a completely new light ;)
  19. blightedmythos

Which is an unfortunate management decision because now artists are tied up pumping out commanders that benefit only one person instead of the community. There are many other ways to encourage backers that don't involve hand crafting 3d art of each one at 1k.

In Path of Exile for example, supporters at 1k and above get to design their own unquie item, something that benefits everyone.

Anyone know many more of these commanders that are left to endure?
  20. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

We have some semi-legal requirement to build 102 custom commanders (91 $1000 backers, 6 $5000 backers, and 5 $10k backers). We aren't necessarily going to make all 102; some people have decided to waive their request for a custom commander or simply never responded to our attempts to contact them.

I use the term "semi-legal" because laws around Kickstarter rules are weird and kind of nebulous, and I'm not a lawyer.
    squishypon3, emraldis, ace63 and 7 others like this.