Neon Green Metal Deposits

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by blightedmythos, February 12, 2015.

1. blightedmythos

blightedmythos Active Member

The icons over metal deposits are very distracting and take away from the immersion. There has to be a better way to highlight (or not) these metal deposited so they can be seen without being neon green signs. Maybe make the icons disappear at medium to low levels of zoom but reappear and high levels? Or you could make them only viable when you hold down shift?

Either way I find them ugly and hope they are removed.

(I know this is a minor issue but it's bothered me since forever :p)
  2. elodea

elodea Post Master General

You can mod it if you like.

One mod i know that does this already is
    - Transparent Strategic Icons
  3. dionytadema

dionytadema Active Member

This is so easy to fix, just built Mex on them

(I know this doesn't actually fix your issue but hey that issue only is relevant during the first minute of gameplay)
  4. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

I'd rather have my mex spot icons stand out from the surface than not be able to see some of them...
  5. iacondios

iacondios Active Member

Was Planetary Annihilation a game about immersion? Seems like a lot more people would complain about them being too hard to find (what about water spots?). You are entitled to your opinion, though. That being said, having some more options about how they are visible is never a bad thing. Shift for toggling (or caps lock to sticky toggle) is also a pretty nice idea, because it allows you to set it on or off at will without menu fumbling.
    stuart98 likes this.
  6. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

I thought <Ctrl>+Y already turned of those features? (Or was it <Alt>+Y, something like that.) People use that for making pretty screen shots, right?
    stuart98 and killerkiwijuice like this.
  7. blightedmythos

Good to know I'll probably snag it. still doesn't 100% fix the issue though.

They are very obnoxious when zoomed out especially when clustered around a planet. I'd rather see glorious robot on robot action then planetary icons. They could atleast subdue the color, make them transparent, make metal deposits easier to see without the icon or make the icons toggleable when you have a metal extractor selected. The last is probably the easiest fix.

Adds to much clutter to overview in there current state.
    In all likelihood this removes the ui too. That's a no go.
  8. DeathByDenim

No, that's a different short cut. I forget that one though. It's in Settings -> Keyboard somewhere.
  9. Tripod27

Tripod27 Active Member

ctrl U for UI, ctrl Y for icons

muh immersions
    stuart98 and DeathByDenim like this.
  10. blightedmythos

Cool and thanks. It's a temp solution though. I'd must rather metal icons were more dynamic. On when you needed then (metal extractor selected) and off otherwise. Win win for everyone.
  11. DeathByDenim

You also need them to determine likely places where the enemy could be, determining good places for possible raiding, picking where to spawn, choosing which planet to colonize, and securing possible expansions.
  12. Tripod27

Tripod27 Active Member

I'd rather have them on all the time except for when taking screenshots which is what Ctrl y u is for
  13. blightedmythos

Those are good points. I guess it would have to be a combination of zoom level then.
  14. blightedmythos

Toggling them on and off with a key is clunky. It would be much better if they were dynamic and not so in your face.
  15. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

they're not in my face...