Let's all help flush out old steam reviews

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by killerkiwijuice, February 4, 2015.

?

Did you help flush the steam reviews?

1. Yes

50 vote(s)
    70.4%
  2. No

21 vote(s)
    29.6%
  1. Geers

Geers Post Master General

If you're not interested just go away. There is literally no reason for you to be in this thread.
  2. ufarax

ufarax Active Member

I find the location of this post fascinating. It would be more interesting on the steam general forums; under suggestions. I may consider starting a thread there…with a link to this one.
  3. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I tend to think this is a bad idea... if we start a campaign trying to 'tidy up the reviews' you can be sure that a counter group will form to prevent it.

I agree with the concept that some of these reviews aren't accurate or helpful, however that's an issue with the steam review system. That actual average positive / negative balance isn't so bad, if anything I think some things are best left along. As Uber keep improving things, the rage and hate will all die down and the game will be able to speak for itself- I think we should avoid prodding the hornets nest as we'll likely just make things worse :p

Also @ufarax your link to the steam charts shows PA is still holding steady at over 1000 players average *on steam*, which won't include offline or people using Uber launcher. Given the niche genre of this game those are actually good numbers imo. The key is to sustain those kinds of numbers (and I think if Uber keeps with the regular updates like they have, hopefully they will keep giving people reasons to come back and keep playing).
  4. paulusss

paulusss Active Member

Today a converted my PA key to a Steam Key, installed PA through steam played a match and wrote a nice and honest review! Happy to help and hope it will help other people to convince they should buy this game!
  5. xanoxis

xanoxis Active Member

We also can give reviews on metacritic.
  6. Jackbandanna

Jackbandanna Active Member

I wish I could be half as cool as you. I tend to get all uneasy when I sh!t post on the net.
  7. gmase

gmase Well-Known Member

Sometimes I feel a little stupid about writing in the forum of a game, then I see people writing about a game they don't like and I feel like I'm not wasting my time that much
  8. felipec

felipec Active Member

Guys, take a look at this sheet:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1N3JS4IDE0ogsxKYUNMeJjDWi6E5wVZn13TnnDw0gcRM/edit#gid=0
    I agree that we need to flush negative reviews but also if we get below 70% of positive reviews PA will be tagged as Mixed (red), and that hurts as much as negative reviews as most helpful (we are at 70.4% right now).
    So, if you posted a negative review and now you can reccomend the game, please update it. If you ddint posted a positive review, do so, that will help.
    DalekDan likes this.
  9. benc85

benc85 New Member

First point, Yes. If you have had a change of opinion and care enough to change it, do so.

Second point, No. Some people care about honesty, and you'll find that a lot of people who go LOOKING for a review would prefer an honest review.

Stop trying to fix the reviews. It's pissed off a great many people on the Steam Forums, and if you keep trying to upvote it, you'll just get a shitload of unhappy steamers who will write short, sweet and rather negative reviews.
    vyolin likes this.
  10. blightedmythos

blightedmythos Active Member

I guess this is where opinions differ and finding a review relevant or not is subjective. I definitely feel like the game isn't a finished product and probably should still be in beta. Also a small part of me feels like Uber wasn't entirely honest about it's initial price tag, so I think there is a bit of relevance in that as well. I agree about the offline mode review not being relevant. I rarely discredit a game because it's lacking one feature though, normally it has to have a multitude of missing features for me to not buy it.
    vyolin likes this.
  11. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

That feels weird. At least from the point of view of anybody who can remember the burning fields of flamewars that the 90$ price tag created on the steam forums as well as here. 90$ is not a normal price for a game after all so people raged hard and half the forums was full of people screaming about the price and others screaming back the pricing model of "the price will go down". Saying it was hard to see the price would go down is hard to understand from my perspective. I guess from the perspective of somebody who never reads forums in general and only views the steam store page it might make sense, though even then: 90$ for an early access game, I certainly would not blindly buy but first check what that is actually about.
    DalekDan, sierra159 and squishypon3 like this.
  12. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

I looks like this worked guys :)

Thanks for helping, there's a lot more reviews up there from January and February :D
  13. methosz

methosz New Member

So let me get this straight, you want to get everyone to mass downvote reviews regardless of the information found inside and if it was insightful for players at the time, and mass upvote anything that you feel is "good"? Sounds rather childish to me.

Also the Galactic Campaign was a major let-down. I've only played the game probably 4 times since Alpha since I was looking forward to that for so long.
  14. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

It's kind of the complete opposite? Down vote reviews that have factually incorrect info in them and upvote accurate reviews, no matter whether they are positive or negative. For example, flagging reviews that say the game doesn't have offline yet. And even as long as they mention things that weren't in but are now, or used to be broken but are now fixed, that's fine I'd say.
  15. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

That's exactly the opposite of the intent of this thread.

Look how old those reviews are on the from page! Some are from September. They need to be flushed out to make room for newer reviews.

This has nothing to do with the quality or opinion of the review, it has to do with the age of the reviews.
  16. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

How do you edit reviews? I went to edit mine and cant lol...

Edit: Steam logged me out randomly, the bag of ****...

Edit: Edited review, mentioned 1v1 matchmaking, map editing, symmetrical map options, interplanetary fighters and unit cannons and junk. Mentioned save feature coming late february as a guess.
    Last edited: February 11, 2015
  17. trilioth

trilioth Member

Wow. In the first 100 reviews all of the negative ones where from November or older. I wasn't playing at the time, so I don't know why people would feel so harsh. I did write my own review, though it may not be that helpful.
    DalekDan and thetrophysystem like this.
  18. nawrot

nawrot Active Member

Nope, they stole nothing, that 100$ price was perfectly valid. I bought it for 100$ i knew it is overpriced, but i wanted to support Uber back then. You folks just do not know how much game developing costs. And sadly it turns out neither Uber knew. They just underestimated costs of this game and its complexity. It is classic kickstarter trap.

For successful launch game needs horde of fanboys, when you do kickstarter every potential fan will back you. And they will get burned out/bored with game during development. When you finally have product to sell, all your fanboys are gone elsewhere or turned into complaining trolls. Now your game will flop without backing community, casuals will see all that negative comments and just move on.
  19. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

In fairness, things haven't gone quite that badly with pa. In fact opinion of the game is slowly improving as uber keep the patches coming :) the whole kickstarter idea has proved a tricky move, however I think on balance uber have handled it well.
    drz1, Nicb1 and thetrophysystem like this.