We Want 3 vs 3 Ranked!

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by cassad, February 6, 2015.

1. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

nuclear havoc in Uber's (and by Uber's I mean Amazon's) server room most likely
  2. nick2k

nick2k Active Member

Nope. Uber shut us down before we could start and hard coded a player cap lol. Something about multiple games running on one server.
  3. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Although we did successfully play an 18 v 18 the other day :)
  4. badfucatus

badfucatus Active Member

This thread got me thinking.
    And I come from 1v1/ffa kinda player background (which I suck at)...
    What if we've had this game wrong from day one, what if this game isn't a 1v1 type of thing?
    Imagine a kind of moba thing, three coms with special traits, a three planet system to fight over?
    I know I have not expressed this idea very clearly, but what I'm trying to say is that this game is unlike any other rts, so why are we playing it like the others?
  5. bengeocth

bengeocth Post Master General

It is unlike any other RTS in the manner that it can be played like practically any RTS. You can play it 1v1, or you can play it 15v15 (unless @nick2k was right about that player cap.) The battles can be as big or as small as you like. There's no stopping you. That's why its unique. It is, the RTS.

I like that.

THE RTS.

Everyone, start using that. Be sure its italicized. THE RTS. Feels so good to type. Planetary Annihilation is now THE RTS.
    Zaphys likes this.
  6. bengeocth

And also, why should there be a player cap when you're not on Uber's server?
  7. badfucatus

badfucatus Active Member

I like that too. And I agree with your sentiments.
    It's just that I feel that the future of this game is in team games. Watching 1v1 VODs is no where near as much fun as team games, and I think the casters will agree with this.
    And don't get me wrong I play pretty much exclusively 1v1, ffa, or comp stomps on PTE (billy no mates :oops:).

And yes, call me a fanboy, but it is THE RTS.

I just think we could make even more out of team games, that's all.
    bengeocth likes this.
  8. badfucatus

badfucatus Active Member

Okay, so to fill out the idea a little more...

Three planet system.
    Two 'homeworlds' A & B equal mass/ metal
    Metal planet. C
    2 small moons (optional)

Three slightly modded coms. A builder/ A tank/ And A Tech dude (or whatever)

2 spawn points on each team homeworld, and 1 on the metal planet.

That kind of thing would highlight all the lovely toys we get to play with, and I think it would be not only fun to play, but to watch as well.
    Anyways, just pitching the idea. I have no idea how to implement it.
  9. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

No we don't, we (I) want 2v2 ranked.
    Last edited: February 10, 2015
    Zaphys, knub23 and theseeker2 like this.
  10. nick2k

nick2k Active Member

It was in beta when we couldn't have our own servers. Im sure you can have as many people you want on your own servers.
    bengeocth likes this.
  11. TheFinitePeach

TheFinitePeach New Member

So basicly you want to play a 3v3 League of Commanders match?

On the original topic I feel as if 1v1 needs to get a stronger base of consistant players first before Uber will even think about adding in other XvX ranked matches. Also I feel as if 2v2 and 4v4 will come before 3v3...
  12. badfucatus

badfucatus Active Member

Well maybe not me personally, although in a sense yes.
    But the com idea is just that, a mod idea... on which I have no idea how to do at all.

That being said, I do think that team maps could be better designed, and maybe thinking about mob maps could be a way to go.
  13. bengeocth

@badfucatus, despite your suggestions being entirely correct in my eyes, I don't feel like an automatching system is in the community's best interest.
  14. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

as many as it can handle without going critical rather ...
  15. armyguygx

armyguygx New Member

I would love a 2v2 AT feature.
  16. LeadfootSlim

LeadfootSlim Well-Known Member

2v2 would be a great way for me to drag my friends in...

In all seriousness, though, I've been saying for a long time that 1v1 does not do this game justice. Multi-planet battles, massive invasions, and titanic army clashes are where it's at. 2v2 is the entry-level minimum for making this kind of awesome happen consistently.
  17. Bersercker

Bersercker New Member

Yeah, definitely need 2v2, 3v3 etc automatch. Got a friend to buy PA with expectation of playing ranked 2v2-s at some point, and kinda disappointed they still are not implemented. I play 1v1's from time to time, but when my friend is online its kinda more fun to play ranked 2v2 in coh2, dow2 or starcraft2 than unranked 2v2 with some random dudes in PA. So yeah...

I kinda don't get the "not enough playerbase, so less custom maps" argument. Most of the custom games now are on that PAX prime system, as far as i see, because not everybody watches livecasts\knows where to get good maps. Just gotta get Uber to make an option of using community made maps for ranked and putting someone in charge of updating that map pool. Maybe a checkbox "prefer Uber maps\prefer random maps(when they are back)\prefer community maps\don't care" to not split the community, with rng deciding what to play if the preferences are not the same. And shared\unshared armies checkbox.

Also, i'd rather play on bad maps against equal team than on good maps against random dudes.
  18. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Why? Bad maps with equal teams means you're practically unequal, or handicapped, due to luck playing more of a role. (Especially in asymmetrical maps)
  19. Bersercker

Bersercker New Member

Well, yeah, if the map favors one team that would be bad too. But we're getting these random generated symmetrical maps anyway right? And they'll probably would be "bad", as in not having interesting landscape features, chokes etc that custom maps have.
  20. drboggles

drboggles Active Member

Rather than having a randomly generated symmetrical map, why not have the community provide a pool of systems that the community votes on using?

I've made a map pack that I'm sure some people would enjoy seeing some of them end up in the ranked pool.
    MrTBSC and Zaphys like this.